I want to get an ATI... also general hardware q's
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyir
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: I want to get an ATI... also general hardware q's Reply with quote

So from what I can understand, there are nvidia drivers for 64 bit, but there is nothing for ATI, so if I got a ATI card, I would have to use whats built-into Xorg, right?

Would those drivers be ok for all uses (applications, mplayer) other than gaming? (i guess i can game in windows :\)

What are your experiances?

Secondly, this is what I'm planning on getting right now, what do you guys think? (in terms of both general goodness and linux compatability)

Code:

AMD Athlon64 2800+ 1.80GHz 64-bit Processor, 128K L1 Cache & 512KB L2 Cache,                   
s754, 800FSB, HyperTransport Technology, Intergrated Single-Channel (64bit)                   
DDR Memory Controller, Heat Sink & Fan, Retail Box, ADA2800BOX - (3Y)                         

Asus K8V, Athlon64 Motherboard, Socket 754, VIA K8T800 Chipset, DDR400, 3xDIMM                 
(3GB Max), 800FSB Support, AGP8X, 5xPCI, ATA133 & Serial ATA (SATA150),                       
Promise PDC20376 Controller [1xATA133 or 2xSerial ATA (SATA150) w/ RAID                       
Support (0/1)], Marvell 88E8001 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Network, Analog Devices                 
AD1980 6-Channel Audio w/SPDIF, up to 8xUSB 2.0 - (3Y)                                         
ingston Value RAM (KVR400X64C3/512), 512 MB PC3200 DDR (400 Mhz), CL 3.0 -                     
(Lifetime Warranty)                                                                           

Antec Sonata Mid Tower Case, Antec True380S Watt (Intel + AMD certified),                     
3x5.25" Ext Bay, 2x3.5" Ext Bay, 4x3.5" HD Bay, 2x120mm Case Fan (1                           
Included.), 2xUSB Ports & 1x1394 Port, Piano Black - (3Y)                                     

Lite-On Combo (LTC48161/B) 48x/24x/48x CDRW + 16x DVD-ROM w/Buffer                             
Underrun Protection & Nero Express 5.5.x.x, Black, OEM - (1Y)                                 

Sapphire Radeon 9600XT, 500 MHz Core, 128bit 128MB DDR (650 MHz), 4 Pixel                     
Pipelines & 2 Vertex Shaders, DirectX 9 Support, DVI & VGA, Dual Monitor                       
Support, TV-out, Powered by ATI, OEM - (1Y)                                                   

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80 GB Hard Drive (6Y080M0) - Serial ATA (SATA150) -                   
3.5" internal - 8.5 ms - 7200 rpm - 8 MB Cache - Fluid Dynamic Bearing Motors                 
- (1Y)           

What do you think? should i spring for better (or worse) models of anything? should i use the SATA? What about audio, is the onboard easy to set up/decent quality, or should I get a Sb or something?

Keep in mind I'm going to want to play DOOM3/HL2 with this.... the only weak spot may by the videocard, but i could upgrade that sometime.

Thanks
elysium_joel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive owned an ati radeon, i had it for around 3 weeks where i tried quite a few options to get it working (and nice). I gave up shortly after the 3 weeks, and saved up for a GForce.

The ati drivers are... ok i guess, but their hardware rendering under linux leaves a LOT to the imagination, under windows they are (i would consider) the best - but I've head the exact opposite under linux, especially 32bit emulation.

The rest seems really nice, you may want to chuck in a pci networking card - my room-mate experiences lockups under linux with his gigabit on board, mine didn't freeze but i found it unreliable at best. Both of us have it turned off in the bios, and Realtek PCIs instead.

If you don't want to run 3d accel (dri) on your vid card, and want to rely on MESA and the open source radeon drivers, no doubt doom2 would run nice - but most likely not doom3. Dont get me wrong, they aren't too bad - supports dual head, unlike the open source Nvidia ones- it wont look as nice as hardware accel, and might lag out the computer but it shouldn't be *too* horrible if you dumb down the settings.

Anyone else had any sucess with the ATI's (specifically Radeons) under 64bit?
Nvidia FX 128meg -> 21" CRT and 17" CRT
Nvidia TNT2 -> 15" CRT
1024 DDR Ram
20gig ATA HDD
48xCDRW,52xCDRW,8xDVD,8xDVDR
CoolerMaster mod WaveMaster case
J.M.I.T.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend buying a motherboard & cpu with socket939 instead of socket754... In case you want to upgrade your cpu, 754 is a dead-end...
Use at own risk...
headache
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless gaming is your main focus, ATi cards works fine with xorg-x11 and AMD64.

I have an AMD64 3200+ and an ATi 9200 and it works like a charm with DRI. I do all my gaming under Windows or on PS/2 so it is not a huge problem for me that there is no 64-bit accelerated driver for ATi. It will however be released RSN (tm) ((Real Soon Now)) :)
Tyir
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the comments...
JMIT: socket939 would be nice, but its a little out of my budget, the cheapest is 400 more, not overly worth it, and i figure this box will last a long time.

Yea, I doubt I will game in linux, I mean I would love to, but obviously with a ATI you can't. I can always do the reboot dance.

headache, sorry, DRI is the built in open-source drivers in Xorg, right? And they are good for everything excluding gaming? (liek movies and stuff)

What about Dual-head, the card has two outputs, so i just need the adapter from digital to analog and I get get the two CRT's in, right? Will that work fine with the open-source ati driver? I would use XInerama, right?

Also, I'm a little worried abotu video-card upgradability and PCI-Express. Will I be able to upgrade my video card in a year or two even thought the board won't support PCI-Express?

Thanks again
tntgentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Other considerations... Reply with quote

I am looking at getting the new Sager 4750 series notebook.

This is a nice 64 bit machine:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product.cfm?ProductType=4750

The only downside is that they use the ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700 128MB DDR. So, I guess in order for the ATI drivers to work the best, I would have to wait for the 64 versions from ATI.

I have run ATI and NVidia in my Gentoo boxes and I have found that the ATI seems to work better from the start as they seem to be easier to install software wise.

Just my 2 cents.

----
headache
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyir wrote:

headache, sorry, DRI is the built in open-source drivers in Xorg, right? And they are good for everything excluding gaming? (liek movies and stuff)

True!
I have no problems with movies.
You can also play games at a reasonable speed unless they requirethe latest and greatest in HW accel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: