[solved] Unable to set up internet connection
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristof
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: [solved] Unable to set up internet connection Reply with quote

Hello,

I dont know in which forum this should be (Installing Gentoo or Networking & Security), but because I'm having my troubles while installing gentoo, I decided to post it inhere...

I'll try to explain my problem as clear as possible, I already searched with google and in this forum, but I didn't find anything that solved my problem...

I want to install gentoo on a AMD K6, 233 mhz with a 3Com 509b network card. The card isn't automatically detected during boot time, but I was able to detect it using modprobe. (first I tried "modprobe 3c509", but this gave some strange error: "unresolved symbol isapnp_find_dev_R27cb2cad".
But I was able to find something about this with google, and after I did "modprobe isa-pnp", the "modprobe 3c509" did work).

So after the modprobe the "ifconfig" command shows eth0, so I presume my network card is detected and working now.

Now I wanted to get my pc on the internet, but the problem is that the computer isn't directly connected to the internet, but it has to go through another computer with Windows XP on it. That computer with XP on it has internet sharing enabled. And I'm pretty sure this works, because if I boot the computer on which I want to install Gentoo with windows, I can get on the internet.

So I followed the user manual to setup my network connection with Gentoo:

First I runned "net-setup eth0", selected "Specify an IP address manually", IP address 192.168.0.2, broadcast address 192.168.0.255, network mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1 and nameserver 192.168.0.1
But when I tried to ping I got: "Destination Host Unreachable"

Then I tried the following (also from user manual):
"ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up"
and
"route add default gw 192.168.0.1"
and I edited the "/etc/resolv.conf" file like this:
nameserver 192.168.0.1
nameserver 195.130.130.139

But again, when I tried to ping "www.google.be" I got the message "unknown host www.google.be", so I also tried to ping "66.102.9.99" (the ip address of www.google.be) and it said "destination host unreachable" again :-(

And now I really don't know what I have to do to set up my internet connection. It's probably some stupid mistake, but I cant find it...

I really hope someone can help me with this, if you need to know something I haven't told yet, please just ask.

Thanks in advance,
Kristof

Last edited by Kristof on Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Jarhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you get the needed modules put in, try using "dhcpcd eth0." This will have your card get the IP automatically.
asph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as Jarhead said, just use "dhcpcd eth0" and the windows machine will asign you an IP and nameservers automatically, because when you share the connection it uses dhcp.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep
Kristof
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I tried that. It took a long time to finish, no output or error msg or anything, just the prompt again. But now the eth0 doesn't even show up anymore when i type "ifconfig", only lo shows up.

Kristof
Kristof
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I did it a second time, and I did get some output:
eth0: Setting 3c5x9/3c5x9B half-duplex mode if_port: 0, sw_info: 1300
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 0 adresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 adresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 2 adresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 3 adresses.

But after it is finished, I get a message in Windows XP that the network connection is lost, and eth0 doesn't show up with "ifconfig" again...

Greetings,
Kristof
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure that card is OK? It sounds like a bit of a cliche, but my guess = hardware...
Jarhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. I do the same thing you do (leech a connection off of an XP box) and had some similar troubles. Here's what I would do:

1. restart XP... it is tempermental. Need I say more?
2. check to make sure that the networking icon is active in XP.
2. check to make sure that all the needed modules are in your kernel with "lsmod" on your linux box.
3. do "dhcpcd eth0" again. If it gives you the message that it is already running, removed the pid and type "dhcpcd eth0."
4. test your connection with ping -c 3 www.yahoo.com
Kristof
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure, I can't test it anymore, but yesterday I removed Windows ME from that pc, and right before I tried to install Gentoo the first time, Windows could get on the internet without any problems.

What are the chances that the card broke down in the last 24 hours? All I did in that time is trying to install Gentoo, the pc didn't move or anything...

Kristof
Kristof
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
Hmmm.. I do the same thing you do (leech a connection off of an XP box) and had some similar troubles. Here's what I would do:

1. restart XP... it is tempermental. Need I say more?
2. check to make sure that the networking icon is active in XP.
2. check to make sure that all the needed modules are in your kernel with "lsmod" on your linux box.
3. do "dhcpcd eth0" again. If it gives you the message that it is already running, removed the pid and type "dhcpcd eth0."
4. test your connection with ping -c 3 www.yahoo.com

OK, thanks, I'll try it as soon as possible, can't do it right now, because I already moved on and I'm installing Gentoo from the universal liveCd without internet...

Kristof
migrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought:

type "ifconfig eth0" and see what happens.
Kristof
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

To make sure my network card wasn't broken, I installed Windows ME on the computer again, and it connected without any problems at all to the internet. So the card is obviously working correct.

Then I booted from the liveCD again and did all the necesarry modprobe's to get the card detected (isa-pnp and 3c509). When I typed "ifconfig" then, eth0 was in it and it had an ip (192.168.0.2). But I was unable to ping (unknown host www.yahoo.com), I can't even ping 192.168.0.1 (the gateway).

So I did "dhcpcd eth0". Then it took a long time again, during which there was no output or error msg at all... After the dhcpcd I did "ifconfig" again, and eth0 was NOT in it anymore :? And also Windows XP had shown one of those popups saying that the network connection was lost.

I really have no idea how I can get my internet working... It works in windows, so it should be possible to get it to work in Gentoo also, no?

Can someone please help me with this?

Kristof

edit: I also tried to connect the computer directly to the internet instead of connecting it to the computer with Windows XP, and I had exactly the same problems...
hitest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: net-setup eth0 Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem with my 3com card. Howver, after running modprobe and finding it I'm able to get on-line using #net-setup eth0
Maybe that'll work for you too. I'm connecting to Internet via a router and dhcp.
Kristof
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm having the same problem with my 3com card. Howver, after running modprobe and finding it I'm able to get on-line using #net-setup eth0
Maybe that'll work for you too. I'm connecting to Internet via a router and dhcp.

No, that doesn't work either, has the same effect than when I do it manually.

But I did notice something strange when I do the modprobe of my network card:

# modprobe isa-pnp
# modprobe 3c509
eth0: 3c5x9 at 0x220, 10baseT port, address 00 10 5a 08 3a 10, IRQ 5.
eth1: 3c5x9 at 0x220, 10baseT port, address 00 10 5a aa 3a f1, IRQ 10.

eth0: Setting 3c5x9/3c5x9B half-duplex mode if_port: 0, sw_info: 1300
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 2 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 3 addresses.

So it seems that the modprobe detects 2 ethernet cards?? (eth0 and eth1)
And I'm 100% sure I only have 1 card... Could this have to do something with my problem??

One more thing, if I check in Windows on that same computer, IRQ 5 is my soundcard, I think (ES1887 Plug and Play AudioDrive (WDM))), and IRQ 10 is my network card (3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO)).

Kristof
Byzmuth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know the type of errors that can be generated by a wrong bios config but since your using an isa card on an old pc it may be that you didnt set PnP OS to false or that you are trying to forca an isa slot to a certain irq (like the P5x Asus motherboards did)

These settings dont affect windows but affect linux usually thats why i think it may be relevant to your case
Kristof
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're right about the PnP OS, it was set to "true", I changed it to "false" now, but that doesn't seem to make any difference...

And I don't really understand what you mean with the force to an irq? I didn't try to force anything to any irq as far as I know...

Kristof
Kristof
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I want to thank everyone who tried to help me with this, I was FINALLY able to fix my problem, and I will post the solution here in case someone else has the same problem, cause it's been driving me mad the last 3 days...

The problem was that modprobe 3c509 found 2 cards while I only had one installed, and after quite some searching on the internet I found someone else who had the same problem as me:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&forumid=3&threadid=115737

And there they also give you a link to the 3Com site to get a DOS program to configure your 3Com card.
All you have to do is download the 3c5x9cfg.exe program, boot in DOS and run it. Then you disable PnP, and it's fixed :D

After disabling PnP I booted the Gentoo LiveCD again and modprobe only found 1 card. Suddenly ping, Links, ... everything worked without a problem :D

The only problem I encountered so far is that now my network doesn't work in Windows anymore, but I don't really give a f*ck about that...

Kristof
Cronus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: I still hve problem Reply with quote

I have met the same problem in the gentoo installation,
I am useing router and cable modem.
the card seems to configed well, but cannot ping the other pc or the router.
The difference is that my pc has only dected one card. I have tried to set the card as no-pnp
then manuall set it as: modprobe ne io=0x280 irq=11
then I run the net-config eth0,
set the ip as 192.168.0.3 gateway 192.168.0.1
broadcast ip 192.168.0.255, mask 255.255.255.0
the problem is still there. Seems Kristof's trick cannot work here.

Can anyone help me?
the card is an Dlink DE220 ISA, NE2000 compatible
Cronus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: solved Reply with quote

I run the setup.exe for DE220 again, changed the connector type from auto to UTP. Bingo! everything is fine.
I swear that I have tried that setting before. But maybe at that time I messed up the io or irq setting.
Currently, I set the card as PNP enabled, connecter type as UTP, works good. No problem to ping the router or other pc
Hope that info can help others.
radonsg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can u pls add (solved) to the subject header. Thanks.
2 x 512MB TwinMos DDR400 Dual Channel
Geforce 5200
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: