Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Console Graphical Web Browser via Framebuffer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macawgumbo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Console Graphical Web Browser via Framebuffer? Reply with quote

I have plans on making an older computer a dedicated Gentoo box. HardDrive space and CPU power is extremely limited! (when I said old I meant 120MHZ 128MB 2GB) Anyways it has run gentoo fine, but recently I compiled X (by mistake) and it took forever. Also the chances of me getting it configured and booting in decent amount of time is very slim. Anyways I want to use the Command Line with framebuffer and a nice bootsplash. But I also want a web browser capable of producing pictures (full blown JPEGs and GIFs along with PNGs) so I can do some development testing of websites I am working on. Does anybody have any ideas? I just want to view a webpage via framebuffer and have it look like it would in Firefox, Mozilla, others. I don't care if it supports cookies or not. Or even scripting. (I will run apache2 w/ PHP so scripting is all do prior to loading the page) Thanks for your help.
Titeuf
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try links. I haven't tried it, but I found this thread, that maybe can help you: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=87181
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Try Reply with quote

Either of these are good...

lynx (the old standby)

or the newer

links

I think links actually has some better attibutes, but, I'm not sure what they are. I've used both and they work well. I've used a neat feature in lynx by calling it in a script to dump the code (in html or plain text) from a site to essentially screen scrape the site...and do some processing of it. Fun stuff.

hth,

cayenne
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think either of these is what the original poster is looking for. They're both just plain CLI browsers... he (she?) wanted a framebuffer browser with images. I'm not sure if such a browser exists, though.

Andrew
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my mistake, it looks like links does, in fact, support graphics under X, Framebuffer, and svgalib, at least according to this. No idea how hard it would be to get it running, though.

Andrew
wdreinhart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does. All you have to do is put X, svga or fbcon in your use flags, and links will build with the appropriate graphics drivers. Even in graphical mode, it still uses ASCII art for gui widgets though.
Vidar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not that hard to run links on the framebuffer. Just make sure to emerge it with svgalib or directfb (use flags). and run links2 -g. check the links man page for more info on setting specific graphics modes.
macawgumbo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now will this display graphics like gentoo's logo when I got to gentoo's site? Will I be able to view msn's website and see their week in pictures? I didn't think links displayed jpeg and such pictures, but I could be wrong. Does anybody know of a screenshot that has this supposedly graphical web browser working?
tangtrain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: links Reply with quote

I can confirm that links does in fact display jpg and other images. I've used it with svgalib and it works nicely. You have to run links -g as root though.
Kismet: Pentium MMX 200MHz Laptop, 32MB, 1.6GB, Gentoo
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: links Reply with quote

tangtrain wrote:
I can confirm that links does in fact display jpg and other images. I've used it with svgalib and it works nicely. You have to run links -g as root though.

If you check end of ebuild it says this is because of svga security and you need to set suid for links2
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
y3t39
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Arachne on my DOS laptop. There's an svgalib version for Linux. I doubt it's in portage, though. Here's one of their screenshots:

http://browser.arachne.cz/screen/linux1.png
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try W3M and W3M-Vesa (i think that's the lib name...but an emerge -s w3m will point you in the right way :) ). It's a CLI graphical browser, wish might not be as advanced has links but it still is preety good and works out of vesafb.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: