Trouble with Grub
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott8711
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:50 am    Post subject: Trouble with Grub Reply with quote

Hello

Thanks to everyone who replied to my message for the vi question. Now I have a new problem. For some reason GRUB will not recognize the file system on my partitions. I am using reiserfs. All of the commands were executed correctly from the installation manual, everything downloaded and complied fine. The ony thing is when I entered "mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.orig" or "cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot" all I would get was a "no directory or file exists" error so I do not think a bzImage file was created. My mount points are hda1 /mnt/gentoo, hda6 /mnt/gentoo/usr, hda7 /mnt/gentoo/var and hda8 /mnt/gentoo/hda8. Do I have to use ext3 in my fstab file for the partitions/

Thanks

Scott
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the need for a journaling filesystem on /boot. I recommend using ext2 for /boot. If you really want to use reiserfs for /boot, you have two choices. Either create the filesystem with "mkreiserfs --format 3.5", or install GRUB >=0.92.

Note that this discussion only applies to /boot. Your root partition and anything else can use reiserfs 3.6 just fine, even if GRUB can't understand it.
scott8711
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:18 am    Post subject: grub v0.92 Reply with quote

how do I install grub v0.92 and if gub can't understand ext2 or ext3 how do I create the master boot record? could this problem come from not having a bzImage file?

Scott
maor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think there is 2 propblem
1) the problem that rac mentioned for grub with reiserfs
2) from what u said i understand that u don't have bzImage file so u won't be able to boot u need to compile the kernel again and copy the bzImage to the boot folder
scott8711
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Grub - bzImage File Reply with quote

I have successflly copppied the bzImage file. However, Grub still does not work and when I try to load grub >= 0.92 I get a message saying that it is "probeing devices to guess bios drives. This may take a long time" Well it took all night and never got any further. I have heard of a program called lilo but I do not seem to have it. Does anyone know where I can get it and how to install it?

Scott
Pluvius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post your Grub menu.lst or grub.conf file and fstab file contents here? I like Grub better than Lilo, but Grub is picky about where to use spaces and where not to use spaces. Also, Grub can be confusing when referencing hd partitions.

I don't quite understand your reference to mount points. The fstab file contents would help. Fstab should show mount points for /boot, /, and /swap, at a minimum. I did not see those listed in your post. It sounds like you have separate mount points for /usr and /var. Fstab should also identify the filesystem types used in all your partitions.
scott8711
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: problem solved Reply with quote

I had to use ext3 file system insted of reiserfs
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: