Clarification needed about prebuilts and CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trncyng
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Clarification needed about prebuilts and CD Reply with quote

Following the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook, Ch.11 Finalizing Your Gentoo Installation, under "Optional: Install GRP Packages," it tells us to
export PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom"
to install packages we want from the CD (which I presume is to emerge <packagename>)

My questions is, is this a temporary convenient method when we want to install prebuilts from the Packages CD using simple emerge?

Do I have to undo this export if I want to use prebuilts that are on the hard disk and not CD? Or is this unset when I do an emerge sync?

I ask this because in the same Handbook, under Working With Gentoo > Portage and Software, it says that Portage looks in /usr/portage/packages/All for precompiled packages to see if the necessary files are already available (if not it goes to the Internet). If this is the case, can I simply copy the package(s) I want from the Packages CD into /usr/portage/packages/All and so have no need to issue the above export?

Thanks for any advice
furkan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) yes for example you want install just an little package and with that you don't need to copy the files from packages cd to hardware....
2) you have just
Code:
unset PKGDIR

or even if you reboot it will be back....
3) yes you can....

and for installing precompiled packages with emerge you should use -k option an exemple:
Code:
emerge -k <package-name>

i hope that helps you....
trncyng
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it does. The Handbook is very well written. Just once in a rare while, I cannot tell the difference between general concepts and a specific practical application. Gentoo is way ahead of the rest of the others in documentation!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: