View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigrezno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Buggy ati drivers? Reply with quote

Hi all, i've been looking a bug which perdures today and is related to ati drivers. I have an Ati Radeon Mobility 9000 with a 2.6.x kernel. The bug is a frozen screen and need to reboot. This happens when ctrl + alt + f1 to go console, and then starting another X server, for example in display :1

Changing between those displays always freezes my computer. Does it happen to you?
eskimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: yes-similar Reply with quote

I've got the same graphics card, with a similar problem, when ever I want to switch to the terminals with ctr+ alt+ fxx, or start a new x session, the x server restarts and I have to log in again. In the logs, I can see that it complains about mttr that it can't allocate someting, but removing the mttr feature from the kernel does not help at all, ( it complains about something else, but the same effect) also removing agpgart support does not have any effect. and setting the stack size to 8k instead of 4 k, does not change anything either.

Nice regards
tigrezno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it's broken at all
Mazaev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Radeon 9700, the X session used to become very corrupted when switching to console and back. What got rid of the problem for me 99% of the time was running a framebuffer console (Bootsplash) that is the same resolution as X.

Maybe that can help you as well.
tigrezno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have framebuffer console already set to 1024x768, like my resolution in Xfree, but that bug continues
codemaker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ATI Radeon 9200 and I had a problem like that. I solved it by using a generic driver for the framebuffer or not using framebuffer at all.
tigrezno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm never tryed that, i'll try now...
tigrezno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing changes for me, without framebuffer support in kernel it crashes again
eskimo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Solved the problem Reply with quote

the following manual helped me alot:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=129853&highlight=acer+travelmate+803lci

In the dri Section it is described how to get it work. For me I used the kernel intern radeon driver, which gives me unexpected good performance, (the best I ever had with my mobile radeon 9000, so also better than the external drivers), I can play tuxracer now at 1400x1050 without any leaking!!
Now switching to the virt. consoles, is no problem at all (even not while watching a movie!)

Caveat: Restarting the xserver with the intern drivers, and the modified xorg.conf gives me extremly large fonts, if you get the same problem you can solve it with the following additional option:
Code:

Option "DDC"  "false"

in the monitor section in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config.

Tip: For this follow the instructions in the above manual, don't install the ati-driver package, use the kernel intern ones- they work great! (The only thing I noticed till now, is that the open gl screensavers in kde are not working very well, but thats it)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: