Know how many times a program has been installed with emerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
=X¥®µ§=
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Know how many times a program has been installed with emerge Reply with quote

On windows when I needed a program to do something, I'd search google.com and downloads.com or similar sites to see what the most popular (and thus most of the times the best) program was...

However this is time consuming and costs more time for linux, and especially since we have a beautiful portage program that can do all this work for us...

Would there be a lot of objections to modifying emerge a bit, so that everytime you type emerge programx, a central database (or synchronized mirrors?) gets updated and goes from "program installed x time" to "programx installed x+1 time"...
Everytime you do an emerge rsync, you also get an updated list with how many time programs are installed...
This way, if you are looking for eg an icq client, and don't know what the good ones are in linux, you'd do: emerge -s icq and you get all those programs, with the times they have been installed...

This would also be useful for the developers of those programs, so they know how popular they are...

Of course it should be easy to turn this (default? otherwhise most people wouldn't botter turning it on?) behaviour off if you don't like it...

Any thoughts on this?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Know how many times a program has been installed with em Reply with quote

=X¥®µ§= wrote:
On windows when I needed a program to do something, I'd search google.com and downloads.com or similar sites to see what the most popular (and thus most of the times the best) program was...

I believe you're looking for http://stats.gentoo.org

=X¥®µ§= wrote:
Would there be a lot of objections to modifying emerge a bit, so that everytime you type emerge programx, a central database (or synchronized mirrors?) gets updated and goes from "program installed x time" to "programx installed x+1 time"...

emerge gentoo-stats

=X¥®µ§= wrote:
Of course it should be easy to turn this (default? otherwhise most people wouldn't botter turning it on?) behaviour off if you don't like it...

It should be off by default, IMO. Privacy invasions, Big Brother and all that. Gentoo should (and does) take the high road and make this opt-in. Those people who want to participate in the gentoo-stats project, can. Those who don't want to don't have to worry about it.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: