Some questions on getting a new computer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Some questions on getting a new computer Reply with quote

Hola everyone,

I want to buy/build a new computer for myself, and I originally was thinking a athlon xp 1700+ barebone system (because I don't feel like risking money on getting the inner system parts working--case, cpu, fans, mb. I tried it before and lost some good money). Anyway, I don't mind getting a barebone system again, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good companies that offer dual processor barebone systems? I'd like to try a dual system out, as I've heard that they perform really well under pressure. If anyone has some good info, it would be much appreciated :)

Last edited by Elsipkitch9809 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's one i just did a search on google 'barebone dual cpu systems' but i think you should build it yourself....buy it all from newegg.com read the mainboard manual carefully and go for it...its not really difficult
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've said it before, but go to http://www.geocities.com/DarkWeasel99 . The guy was my roommate last semester, and he _really_ knows his hardware. He has some systems on there, but no dual-processor ones. You can also contact him at gundo99--at--hotmail.com.

He and I both also highly recommend building systems from newegg. Hardware's his hobby, and he really likes designing new systems. Give him a try.
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One suggestion for you: Make sure the power supply that you eventually use in your machine is a good one.

One thing that I've gathered over the years of building my own boxen is that power supplies are usually cruddier than better. There's very few out there that work like they're supposed to.

I finally got a 400W unit that works satisfactorily, but it took me a few tries to get it right.

There's a really good article on this subject at Tom's Hardware.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: