Backing up gentoo with multiple tar volumes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithreilly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Backing up gentoo with multiple tar volumes Reply with quote

After doing a stage 1 install and many days of compiling on my PII I would like to back up gentoo so i don't have to do it again incase something happens. The easiest way to me seems to be just to tar everything up and burn it to cd. It won't fit on one cd of course and in the tar manuel it says to use the -M option to go into multiple volumes. Thing is it assumes your going directly on the meduim you want to archive on.. because when you run out of space it says to just put in another (tape, disk, etc.) however i don't have a cd burner in that computer. I want to make 700mb multiple volumes and transfer them through the network to a computer that can burn them. what is the easiest way to do this. or if anyone has a better idea to back up the system.

keith
KH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAR compression can accept stdin (a pipe from tar), compression, and voluming.

Compression would save you a lot of space, just set it really low - unless you want to spend more time compressing than you did compiling your system in the first place.... :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: