Forgetting USE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genfool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Forgetting USE Reply with quote

What happens if I forget something in my make.conf using USE? Like I think I plugged in USE="-gtk -gnome kde dvd alsa cdr" which was an example in the handbook I think, but I didn't really know what I was doing; it just looked good since I have all these and don't want gnome (and I don't know what gtk is) but then I checked the use.desc, and there are so many options I don't even know... Is there a way to change this after installation? I already did scripts/bootstrap.sh...
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can change it at any time. Any new packages you emerge will apply the new USE flags. If you want to apply the new flags to the whole system then do
Code:
emerge -e world

and your entire system will be remerged.
Lajasha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What curtis said is true you can redo the who system with that command, but that really is not neccesary unless most of your packages can use that flag and you want them to. You should be just fine by adding the flags you want to have at this point and be set.

Just out of curiousity what are the flags that you are looking to add?
genfool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this is kind of a lot of information all at once for me. I'm a newbie and am switching from a week's use of slackware.. Ok, so I just type in that code after I change my make.conf? Should I just keep going with my install after all? It took about 2 hrs for the bootstrap to complete.
Lajasha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother if you are just at the bootstrap as it probly wont affect it. However yes all you should have to do is type that command and then pick up where ya left off.
genfool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maletek wrote:
What curtis said is true you can redo the who system with that command, but that really is not neccesary unless most of your packages can use that flag and you want them to. You should be just fine by adding the flags you want to have at this point and be set.

Just out of curiousity what are the flags that you are looking to add?

I want to use GAIM and saw an aim USE in there, and I don't want any excess use flags. Like I don't even know what's going on right now, but all I know is I don't want 3 of each program, like freaking emacs/nano/pico, kde/gnome/whateverelse, mozilla/firefox/netscape xmms/noatun/kaboodle/xine/totemplayer (I just need a working xmms and Mplayer), and I want to be able to play most all media files mp3/avi/mpeg/xvid/ogg/etc... I don't need multiple programs that do the same stuff basically. I don't need a mail service unless it kicks ass, and I don't even know what they really do. Yeah, I know I'm a nub, but I'm trying. ;P I'm about to compile my packages now that the bootstrap is done, soo any other advice? Thanks for the replies so far.
Lajasha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think you have the way USE flags work a little twisted. Basicly you should not need to mess with them unless you want to specify an application to work with another or specify that you don't what an application to support something. So you can use gaim without the "aim" USE flag.

For example, when you emerge X it wants to pull KDE and GNOME when you only need one or the other. If you wanted only gnome you can stop this by adding the "-kde -qt -arts" flags to your USE variable. Then when you emerge X it will not want KDE

Now say you want apache with php and mysql support, for this you would set the "apache2 mysql" flags then emerge mod_php. This will install all three as the use flags will cause them to be dependent on each other.

Hope that clears it up for ya.
voidzero
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did was the following when re-merging packages using +cjk:
Code:
emerge -pev world | grep cjk

after this I copied&pasted all packages (without their versions! so for example just gnome-base/gtk or whatever) behind a 'USE="+cjk" emerge <paste-here>'-command.

Hope it helps for ya.
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps try
Code:

emerge ufed

This small program gives u a nice way to set or unset useflags. Changed settings will only apply to things u emerge after the change. You system shoul not need to be recompiled entirely. Only when you run into a problem while emerging a depending package or encounter some missing functionalty, you might consider re-emerging certain packages wih the new use flags

Some useflags are set even though they are not in your make.conf. There is also a global settings file, /etc/make.profile/make.defaults which contains default settings that can be overidden by /etc/make.conf.

I suggest having a look at ufed
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: