View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jester66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: apps run so slow in kde Reply with quote

I installed gentoo because I thought that by compiling everything from source I would have a Desktop that was blazing fast. However, to my disappointment, I've had Redhat, Gentoo, and Suse run much faster.

I am wondering why it is that it takes so long for applications to run.

Here are some relevant specs:
kernel - 2.4.26-gentoo-r6
video - nvidia GF 4
512 MB ddr ram
2.4 GHz pentium 4
KDE 3.2.2

Sometime it takes up to five seconds or more to start my most used applications:
firefox
konqueror
gaim
konsole

What are some things that I could modify/configure to get this system up to speed (I am still wondering if there are any other support options that I should set in the kernel)?
Any tips, tricks or suggestions that you guys/girls could provide would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, this is the second time that I have installed gentoo (first intall stage1, second install stage2). The first time I got everything up and running, but there were still a few bugs that I could not get worked out so I decided to reinstall. I am not ready to give up on gentoo just yet, for I have heard some really great things and would like to experience them for myself.

Thanks
NegaBenji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everyone recommends prelinking - I personally didn't notice any difference but this is a slow computer anyway ;)

I'm interested in how your compiler settings actually affect your apps. Since this computer is pretty slow I set it to use O3 optimization, in the hopes that the longer initial compile would be offset by more responsive and efficient applications. But I've heard talk that optimizing too hard can actually reduce performance - I just wish there was a little more information around on this, and the other compiler options.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: