View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: KDE 3.2.2 locks up tooooooo many times....no workie Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to Gentoo and I've just recently setup my system to how I want it using KDE 3.2.2, with the gentoo-dev-sources kernel. I'd be learning more except my system keeps locking up at odd times and will just sit there. I have to obviously do a hard boot and it's gotten to the point that I'm rebooting so many times that Winblows is starting to look good to me once again. :x

I'm not sure whether I didn't setup my system correctly, whether it's b/c I tend to work in as root (yeah yeah I know I should use the other user, but she shouldn't be locking up regardless). I don't know it I should unemerge KDE then try to re-emerge it again. Or maybe I need to upgrade my GCC.

I'm sort of at a loss here. Has anyone else experience frequent odd time lock ups to the point of hair loss?
HotShotDJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things to look at:

1) CPU Temp. Can cause all kinds of system instability, including lock-ups if too high.

2) KDE Sound: Check the KDE Control Center -> Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System.. click on the Hardware tab. Look at "Select the audio device" and if its set to "Auto" this may very well be the source of your problem. Choose either "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture" or "Threaded Open Sound System." This should clear up the problem.

If it isn't one of those two things, wait and see if somebody else might have some other ideas. Reinstall KDE as a last resort.

I'll not discuss the running as root thing here as you stated you already know better but choose to do so anyway.... kind of like telling a teenager not to speed in a car *sigh*
bladdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you exit KDE Use [CLRL] + [Alt] + [Backspase].
distro: gentoo | window manager: pekwm
Barks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it does seem to be the sound, thanks!

I finally got ALSA working which seemed to stop the odd time lock ups.

The system seems to halt now when I'm running XMMS and the screen saver kicks in....so now I'm sucipicious about your other suggestion about the CPU heat. Before I left for work it was playing XMMS the screen saver (GL screen saver) kicked in and it exited right out of KDE and KDM to the terminal (or console:P).

When I tried to start KDM again I recieved a segmentation fault....i think. Seems like there's a few tweaks I need to iron out. Ideally I'd like to play tunes 24/7 just to prove the system is solid.

Oh....I'm also using a user account now as oppose to root. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: