View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thoughts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Bizarre long delay at gnome startup Reply with quote

When I rebooted my system today, everything looked normal, I logged in, and ran startx. The white nvidia screen flashed by as usual, and then I had the x cursor. The gnome splash screen came up, which shows icons at the bottom as it goes through the stages of gnome's startup. But none of the icons showed up.

In another VT I ran top, and could see that gnome-session, gnome-smproxy, and gnome-settings-daemon were running, but gnome-panel was not.

After about 7 minutes, all the splash screen's status icons came up and flashed by in a hurry, as usual. The splash screen disappeared and gnome-panel started. But the panel and the wallpaper never actually showed up on the screen. At this point, most of my apps seem to work (moz, thunderbird, xterm, xmms, volume control) though some did not (I tried running gedit, nothing came up, and in about 5 minutes I got an error box saying it had segfaulted).

After about 19 minutes, a Nautilus message box pops up titled "Searching Disks," and it says "Nautilus is searching your disks for trash folders."

Before all this, I had tried to use gconftool-2 to remove the trash icon from my desktop, by using this command:

gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/preferences/nautilus/show_desktop false

So I tried changing that back to true and rebooting, but it didn't fix the problem.

Back on VT1, I see this error from X, printed twice in a row:
Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!

And under that, it says:
(II) [GLX]: Initializing GLX extension

So I recompiled my kernel and re-emerged nvidia-drivers and nvidia-glx, but that didn't help. I disabled glx and dri in XF86Config, but that didn't help. I tried switching to the nv driver instead of nvidia, but that also didn't help.

To make sure it wasn't some problem with my gnome configuration in my home directory, I created a new user and ran startx with him. He had the same problem.

I tried renaming /usr/bin/nautilus to /usr/bin/somethingelse in case it was a nautilus problem... didn't help.

I re-emerged gnome, but that didn't help either.

My system isn't slow (PIII 850MHz / 512MB) and in any event, the CPU was mostly idle during this long delay.

I'm running out of ideas here... anyone have any?

Thanks,
Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/
thoughts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerged kde and changed my ~/.xinitrc from "exec gnome-session" to "exec kdeinit". Now startx switches to VT7, shows a black background and the X cursor, and sits there for about 5 minutes before dying and switching back to VT1. There, I have this error printed twice in a row:

kded: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name passed to the constructor!

Then it says:

waiting for X server to shut down kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed

Then kdeinit sends SIGHUP and then SIGTERM to its children and I'm dumped back at the prompt.

So... it looks like an X problem and not a gnome/kde problem.

-Anthony
thoughts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apparently, metacity isn't starting; I have no idea why, when it's always started before today. So I just added "metacity &" to my ~/.xinitrc before "exec gnome-session" and now when I startx, the X cursor changes to an arrow almost immediately. But there's still the huge delay before gnome-panel starts, and it still never actually displays the panel on the screen, nor draws the desktop.

Come on people, help a brother out : )

-Anthony
thoughts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-emerged both X and metacity. Didn't help. The next thing that emerges is going to be a baseball bat...

-Anthony
martoni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a Google on
Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!

which turned up quite a few suggestions Perhaps one of them can help?

/M.
thoughts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did a Google on

which turned up quite a few suggestions Perhaps one of them can help?

Well, I can use the nv driver instead of the nvidia driver, and that error goes away. But that seems to be unrelated; with or without the module error, I have a ~7 minute delay when X starts up, and my gnome-panel and desktop never show up at all (though the gnome-panel process is running).

-Anthony
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(long program startup time = automatic question about /etc/hosts)

Have you set up your /etc/hosts correctly?

It should look similar to this:
Code:

*stuff*
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       computername
*stuff*
thoughts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aethyr wrote:
Code:
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       computername

I haven't touched /etc/hosts since I installed gentoo, and it's worked fine since then, until today.

Code:
127.0.0.1      localhost
172.30.44.105  luna.mynetworkname luna
172.30.44.110  soma

I just added a line for 127.0.0.1 = luna to test it, but it didn't help. (And setting loopback=computername causes problems for apache, as well as for irc and talk, from what I've read, so I removed it again.)

-Anthony
thoughts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting ridiculous. I tried a different video card (ati instead of nvidia). No change.

I unmerged xfree, deleted every directory named X11 or X11R6 in /etc and /usr, then emerged xfree again. Didn't fix it.

This installation is only a week old, so it wouldn't kill me to wipe the disk and start over, but I'd rather avoid it if possible. I've installed a bunch of stuff in the past week.

From the symptoms (long delay with both gnome and kde, with newly-created user so no old config files in homedir) it sounds like an X problem, right? So why didn't the deleting-all-X-files fix it?

-Anthony
thoughts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, solved! My lo (local loopback network device) service wasn't running. A little "rc-update add net.lo boot" fixed it.

-Anthony
Pythagoras1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't confirm this. my loopback daemon runs.

gnome 2.6 only starts normally if i disable the "save changes in session" option in the "sessions" control applet and delete my personal session file. if i don't do this gnome needs really long time to start up. i just found out that the same thing happens if i add custom startup apps with the "sessions" applet. whenever the custom app starts gnome waits a couple of minutes until it continues booting ... very strange.

does anyone know why saved or custom sessions don't work with gnome on none of my two gentoo boxes?
norb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced the same slow startup of Gnome yesterday.
gdm worked normally but Gnome sat around with the splash window open and no icons.
Eventually it gave me a shell and mozilla, sometime later (about 5-10 mins) gkrellm appeared, followed later by the wallpaper. gnome-panel never appeared.
I'd been messing around with HOWTO: Iptables for newbies. PART II: Securing your Network https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1038378, running the script without a second interface card and commenting out the block on broadcasting. So, yes, that might be my problem :-)
I'm going to investigate further, but found out that it seemed to be because the firewall configuration didn't allow the loopback address (127.0.0.1) to contact itself. This is fixed (maybe temporarily) by adding:

Code:
iptables -I 1 OUTPUT -o lo -d 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT

Hope this helps anyone tearing their hair out wondering which package they recently emerged caused the problem. I'll post later if I figure out what the right firewall setup might be.
Pythagoras1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't use any firewall at all. GNOME still does take years (on all three gentoo boxes i tried it on) to start up with a custom or saved session. without any session it starts quite fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: