View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethan2332
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Weird Gnome Problem Reply with quote

When I log in as root and hit startx, XFree starts up just fine and then the gnome splash screen comes up. But then it just sits there and looks at me, I dont get a desktop or anything I have to crtl-alt-backspace out of it. Then X has some output.

AUDIT:............client 4 rejected from local host

Funny thing is that gnome works just fine in my daily user. I dont know where to start on this, any suggestions?

Also, when I am using two applications that use the sound card, i.e. xmms and gaim, they have to take turns to play sounds, they dont do it at the same time. How do I "share" my sound card for multiple apps?

Thanks,
Ethan2332
b0fh_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First problem : no idea, probably some security module is preventing gnome-session from doing its stuff as root;

Second problem: under gnome, the default way to do this is to use 'esd' output drivers instead of directly using oss drivers. In xmms, just select 'eSound output plugin' instead of 'oss plugin'. I think GAIM uses esd by default, but if not you can change the player thingie to 'program' and use 'esdplay' to play those annoying icq sounds :)

peace
Ethan2332
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for the advice. I didi fix the gnome thing by wiping all the little config files in /root and it works again now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: