View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkey with a keyboard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Thinking of making the switch from BSD Reply with quote

Currently I use FreeBSD and am fairly happy with it. What I don't like about it though is a lack of corporate sponsorship, lack of hardware support, and what seems to be a decreasing user-base as well as a decrease in developers. BSD is by no means dead, however I'm interested in other alternatives. I run a small web-services business so stability and power is extremely important. I use x86 based hardware for everything.

I know that there is tension between the BSD's and Linux's user-bases... so I'm not sure what I'm going to get from this thread, but any information, opinions, etc. is welcome. Did anybody here come from BSD? I mean REALLY come from BSD (installing it and trying it for a week doesn't count).

Thanks.. hopefully I won't get too burnt.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. I love BSD. I use Gentoo for my desktop though as I like having current drivers and software. BSD will always run my servers though :D
monkey with a keyboard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you. ;) from bsdforums.org

I post under a different name there.... I post under a different name everywhere for security reasons.
reisio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey with a keyboard wrote:
I post under a different name everywhere for security reasons.

ah, I see you've met my good friend...PARANOIA :p
monkey with a keyboard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's not really paranoia.... it's more, that if I post under the same name, all a hacker might need to hack me is my ip and a common nick... using that they could get a ton of info such as OS, routing equipment, employee names, server names, etc. Why give hackers a leg up when it's so easy to just choose an original name with each forum. you know? ;)

also I should mention that I'd love responses from people who have never used BSD as well..... opinions from everybody is much appreciated.
scuzzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of making the switch from BSD Reply with quote

woops V

Last edited by scuzzo on Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
scuzzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of making the switch from BSD Reply with quote

[quote="scuzzo"]
Currently I use FreeBSD and am fairly happy with it. What I don't like about it though is a lack of corporate sponsorship, lack of hardware support, and what seems to be a decreasing user-base as well as a decrease in developers. BSD is by no means dead, however I'm interested in other alternatives. I run a small web-services business so stability and power is extremely important. I use x86 based hardware for everything.

I know that there is tension between the BSD's and Linux's user-bases... so I'm not sure what I'm going to get from this thread, but any information, opinions, etc. is welcome. Did anybody here come from BSD? I mean REALLY come from BSD (installing it and trying it for a week doesn't count).

I use freebsd, I love it, I like it better than linux, and what tension are you talking about :roll:

Check this out http://www.linuxisforbitches.com/bsdvlinux.php 8)
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of making the switch from BSD Reply with quote

I run a small web-services business so stability and power is extremely important. I use x86 based hardware for everything.

Then stick with what you have. Seriously, the differences between FreeBSD and Linux would be marginal at best and not worth switching.

In my opinion, Linux is improving at a much faster rate than any BSD is-- mostly due to Linux's hype. Historically, the BSD's were stronger in performance and stability, but Linux 2.4 caught up in many ways, and I believe Linux 2.6 has surpassed the BSD's in many ways. I think this trend will continue since there is simply a larger mass of developers in Linux.
reisio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of making the switch from BSD Reply with quote

scuzzo wrote:

That site single-handedly makes the BSD Daemon look like a fag and the BSD community look like a bunch of xenophobic nitwits in so many ways.

If I were promoting BSD, that is NOT something I would link. :p

I'd mention how stable BSD is, how safe it is, how long it's been around and that it comes directly from UNIX stock.
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*drum rolls*

...and the flame begins...

"My logic is undeniable."
monkey with a keyboard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of making the switch from BSD Reply with quote

[quote="scuzzo"]
scuzzo wrote:

I use freebsd, I love it, I like it better than linux, and what tension are you talking about :roll:

I've seen that site.... and I know you too from bsdforums. ;)
kamagurka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's funny that a guy who makes a site called "linuxisforbitches" states he doesn't like linux because of the "pinheads" in its userbase...
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamagurka wrote:
i think it's funny that a guy who makes a site called "linuxisforbitches" states he doesn't like linux because of the "pinheads" in its userbase...

Yeah, the guy is a total fricken' hypocrite.

Edit: Gomen

Last edited by placeholder on Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
ColeSlaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
Fun Fact from Pwnz3r: The first result for 'hyppocrite' on Google is a Christian website.

I don't mean to be rude, but "hypocrite" is the correct spelling. Searching with that spelling, some guy's resume shows up as the number 1 result on google. Number 2 is a website about Socrates.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
kamagurka wrote:

Yeah, the guy is a total fricken' hypocrite.

Yes he is. :wink:

Last edited by placeholder on Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just asked this question earlier about a router, whether to use gentoo or bsd (specificly OpenBSD)

And the responses came back as OpenBSD. The main reason being security. If you currently are using BSD on your servers, i would leave them that way, the time and effort you put into switching them to linux won't be worth the trouble. I doubt performance will be noticed or stability. They are both stable and fast. One thing BSD (and again specificaly OpenBSD b/c that is what I researched) as going for it is security, it is more secure.

Now if you have multiple servers, as you replace them I would look into switching them. You seem to be a person who lilkes security. Why make it easier for a hacker by making all your servers the same OS, switch it up a bit. Yeah it makes it a bit harder for you b/c things are a bit different on each, but it will make it harder for them b/c the vulnerablities won't be the same on each machine.
monkey with a keyboard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's an interesting idea actually.
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why thank you,

But I do not deserve the credit, I don't remember where I read it though.
monkey with a keyboard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll phrase my question differently which might help me understand this better. Why might Linux be more suitable for a server than BSD these days. Why might you prefer Linux over BSD?

With the trouble involved in migrating aside, why might one choose Linux over BSD. It's a lot easier to migrate now than it is when I have even more servers. As of now I only have 5 servers. I'm looking to add more soon. So this is an optimal time to evaluate this. I can only imagine that the trend of BSD losing devs and Linux gaining devs will continue. There doesn't seem to be anything that will revive BSD (unless FreeBSD 5.x release is revolutionary).

What are the pros/cons of each? I've read a lot about the two, however often it seems that people prefer FreeBSD for its heritage. That's not important to me. What's important is stability, power, and hardware support.
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read lots of reviews and comparisons between Linux 2.6 and FreeBSD 5. Almost all of them showed that Linux scales and performs better.

I use Linux and not FreeBSD due to the following: The BSDs are distributed under the BSD license. Linux is distributed under GPL. GPL allows code released under the BSD license to be included. BSD license doesn't allow GPL code to be included. That means, Linux is good because it has the best of the both worlds. If the BSDs got a striker feature, it'll be simply used in the next Linux kernel. The same cannot happen with the BSDs. That's why today Linux seems (IMO) to be better, and as the time goes the distance between the BSDs and Linux will be greater. That is, when Linux=BSD^n (n must be greater than 1 :D).
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the *BSD's really losing ground? I am going to set up a personal server soon and I had planned on going with OpenBSD because I have always heard great things about OpenBSD as a server OS. Recent reviews seem to suggest this is still the case. This is an interesting topic, though. I'll keep on eye on this thread. Currently I am 90% convinced OpenBSD would be a better choice. I plan on setting it up two weeks from now. I should probably do a little more research before then.
monkey with a keyboard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I don't necessarily mean losing ground as in "OMG! BSD is totally falling apart!" However, something to look at always is "Is this OS going to be around in 5 years?" That's something that I'm a little nervous about with BSD. Some would argue, "Well, it's been around for a long time already!" I however see this differently. With Linux getting all of the attention lately, I wonder about the likelihood that the FreeBSD devs will continue developing FreeBSD. The same for Open and Net. It's increasingly more work to make drivers and port apps that have already been written for Linux. With 3rd party hardware vendors writing the drivers, the apps being written for Linux (Linux API on FreeBSD doesn't count), etc. I would have to imagine that Linux's growth will continue exponentially over time. While I'd LOVE to see FreeBSD suddenly get more attention, I just don't see it happening any time soon. :(

What do you think?
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenBSD is more secure then gentoo when compared to each other at a fresh installation.

I think *BSD will be around as a server OS, it won't be compataible with all hardware but don't see them changing as a server OS anytime soon.

I see Linux for the most part becoming more of a desktop OS which explains the wider range of hardware support. Vendors are starting to notice this and are writting drivers for linux themselves. I don't think support for BSD will dwindle but I don't think it is going to grow much either, where as Linux on the other hand is going to keep growing for a while. Especially with OS such as Lindows coming around and gaining strenght.

Those are my 2 two cents, take them for what they are worth.
Valen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see BSDs going mainstream in the near future, however I think there will always be people interested in alternatives. As linux grows in popularity I think a few people will look to BSD just to be different. For similar reasons I don't think BSD development will stop, people will be interested in doing things differently from linux, people might also feel they could make more of a contribution if they worked on BSD. Of course I'm not offering any quantitative evidence here :D.
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid wrote:
Are the *BSD's really losing ground? I am going to set up a personal server soon and I had planned on going with OpenBSD because I have always heard great things about OpenBSD as a server OS. Recent reviews seem to suggest this is still the case. This is an interesting topic, though. I'll keep on eye on this thread. Currently I am 90% convinced OpenBSD would be a better choice. I plan on setting it up two weeks from now. I should probably do a little more research before then.

Don't use OpenBSD! I saw some reviews, and although it's secure, it has the worst performance between the BSDs and also scales very bad. It was so slow that in most graphs it didn't even appeared. If you're going to use a BSD, use FreeBSD or NetBSD (FreeBSD seems to be the best between them).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: