View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ditritus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: startx stalls Reply with quote

I just spent two days compiling Gentoo with a 2.6.7-r11 kernel, and for a change i did a little something like this:
emerge xorg-x11
emerge inject xfree
emerge gnome
(forgive the lack of formatting, i'm doing this in lynx)
Now that I've done that, everything seems fine and peachy. My nvidia-kernel is in place, and my xorg.conf too... but when I try to start Xorg, it makes it to the gnome splash window and sits there for about 30 seconds before the X server shuts down by itself, leaving no errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
So I figure if X is starting up with the resolution I want, then that must be alright, but I suppose it could have something to do with that... But my main suspicion was gnome, so I ran 'emerge -vp gnome' in console and got the following:
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gnome-2.6 -accessibility +cdr +dvdr [empty/missing/bad digest]
I guess I missed the package size at the end before i went to emerge it earlier... But now that I know what the problem is, does anyone know how to fix it? I've done my fair share of 'emerge sync'-ing and downloading ebuilds from gentoo-portage.com and I still can't get Gnome to work.
If anyone could help me sort this out, that'd be great. Thanks in advance!
techtim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gnome-2.6 -accessibility +cdr +dvdr [empty/missing/bad digest]

I'm not sure if this is just a typo, but if gnome properly emeged, you would see [ebuild R] not [ebuild N] as you are showing. According to what you show Gnome would still be a new ebuild to you system.

As to the [empty/missing/bad digest] I'm fairly sure that due to failing to verify the MD5 hash because it doesn't have one. Portage tries to verify the MD5 hash on downloads and if it doesn't match, it won't emerge. In this case I think portage is unaware what the hash should be so it can't verify it.

I'd try emerging Gnome again and see if it completes without any errors.

-Good Luck
ditritus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it didn't have the R there after the original 'emerge gnome', but that had 100 other packages going with it, so anything could've happened. I ran 'emerge gnome' again and it had an R next to it, but since the compiling took about... 0.1 seconds, I don't think it worked.
Now what you said about digests is true... /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome/files/digest-gnome-2.6 is empty. And I tried emerge --fetchonly gnome and it didn't download anything, nor can I find the source file anywhere on my system.
Any clue where I'd go or what I'd have to do to get these file(s)?
techtim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gnome ebuild file is nothing more than a dependency finder, if you open up the .ebuild file you will see it doesn't compile anything itself, it only compiles it's dependencies, so the reason that gnome on must only be taking a couple seconds is that all its dependencies are already installed, it has nothing else to compile.

I would have to say it might seem that the problem still might be with the X server config, but I'm really not sure at this point anymore.
techtim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thought, emerge the nvidia-kernel again, I have had to do that in the past to fix odd X problems..
ditritus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't get anything to work. I've done 'rm -Rf /usr/portage/*' and 'rm -Rf /tmp/*' followed by an emerge sync, and i still get the [empty/missing/bad digest]. Is there any way I can manually download the package file (the zipped source) and put it in /usr/portage/distfiles as a workaround? Any ideas would be appreciated.
ditritus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty then. I just did a fresh install of Gentoo, and yet again... [empty/missing/bad digest]. I don't see how I'm the only one out there having this problem...
LLoydBates
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[empty/missing/bad digest] is not a bad thing, just that the md5 sum is missing.
in example with gnome-base/gnome-2.6 should be able to do:
Code:
cd /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome/
ebuild gnome-2.6.ebuild digest

OR
Code:
emerge --digest gnome

that will generate the md5 sum if it's missing.
but be sure that your packages are correct. i had a problem with xchat-2.1.0, downloaded a bad tarfile that couldn't be unpacked. I had to delete the digest file manualy. :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: