enemy territory short freeze
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saebla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: enemy territory short freeze Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm having a small but very annoying problem with Enemy Territory. When someone either deploys a landmine, or sets of a landmine, my game freezes for about half a second. (after it continues)
It's not always this happens so I'm not sure what the problem is. Could it be a memory problem? I have 256 Mb RAM and 64 Mb on my geforce3.
I've tried using lowest settings without luck.
I run gentoo linux 2.6.7 kernel (same with other kernels) with latest drivers (same with older drivers).
I run etpro alot, does anyone know if that takes more memory (that could affect performance) than regular et?

Has anyone experienced similar problems?
soroh6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've ever had short (as in 0.5 second or so) freezes in Enemy Territory was when my computer was overheating. I now run with panels off, and a desktop fan beside the case. :)

Doubt this will help you.. but yeah. Maybe a 2.4 kernel would be better. *shrugs with no ideas*
saebla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks for replying.

I don't think it has to do with overheating, and I have the same problem with 2.4 kernel.
I tested around a bit, and with the normal et it works fine, so it has to do with etpro.

I had problems with overheating once and then the game became really slow and laggy. Right now it runs very smooth until someone steps on a landmine or deploys a landmine, and then the short freeze, and then the game continues to run smooth.

It's like the game needs to do some extra computing for the landmines ;-)
saebla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: fixed it somehow Reply with quote

I think i've fixed it. I was tweaking around with the configfile and now it is gone. It could have something to do with com_hunkMegs and com_hunkSound being changed. I haven't had time to look in to why the problem dissappeared. It's gone now anyways.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: