Multiple problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Multiple problems Reply with quote

Okay where to start.

I guess I will start by mentioning I did an emerge system a few days ago in a screen but never looked at the results, b/c I haven't had a chance to. I am looking at it right now. Then yesterday I come home to find out we have lost power and my machine was turned off. I boot it up grup works fine and then upon starting gentoo the init shit just fails. It isn't loading modules, so nvidia is throwing error, i have no network and none of my sound is working.

I try to re-emerge nforce-net from a pkg i made, and the network still doen'st work b/c it isn't loading modules. I go into the source for the kernel (2.6.6) and try to rebuild the kernel, make works fine, but make modules_install fail miserable and mentions something about I might need to install module-init-tools. I look and it is installed. I have 3.0-r2 installed. I look in my distfiles and see I have the 3.0 tarball so I emerge that and reboot, my sound modules are loaded and so is the nvidia module. But still no nvnet. So I try to modprobe it and it is says no module found, I look in the kernel-2.6.6/drivers/net and sure enough it isn't there. I re-emerge the nforce-net and notice it is putting the nvnet.ko file in the 2.6.3 kernel. I look my my /usr/src/linux symlink and it is pointing to the 2.6.6 kernel and I uname -r displays 2.6.6. So I boot the livecd and chroot into my /dev/hda3 and emerge nforce-net there, it works. So now I boot up and I have a sound, graphics and network, but I am still having lots of problems. Let me list out the problems I am having

1) I can't mount /boot , I have tried using the fstab and the command manulay I get the same error either way
Code:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
       or too many mounted file systems
that isn't too big of deal, b/c I don't need in there at the moment and grub can read it, /dev/hda1 is a ext3 partition. I also had some trouble with my /dev/hda3 and that when I run fsck on , it doesn't compelete and errors out, I have tried running several commands on it but nothing can seem to fix it, but yet I can still read it.

2) Firefox won't start, it says something about unspecified something or other with the file /lib/MozillaFirefox/compenents/libgk something or other. I am not at my house so I am not sure on the exact message or file.

3) when I try to emerge sync, I am getting errors saying that about 10-15 files that root doens't have permission to read or change them. As root I try to chown -R root /usr/portage, same error on the same files. So I cna't emerge sync, which sucks. i tried to re-emerge portage and it worked fine, but I just can't acces these files.
Code:
recv_generator: mkdir "/usr/portage/dev-perl/Archive-Tar/files" failed: Permission denied
stat "/usr/portage/dev-perl/Archive-Tar/files" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-lisp/cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.73b" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-lisp/cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.78" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-lisp/cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.81" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-lisp/cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.77.2" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-lisp/cl-asdf/metadata.xml" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-lisp/cl-imho/Manifest" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-lisp/cl-imho/cl-imho-1.3.2.ebuild" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-lisp/cl-imho/ChangeLog" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-perl/Archive-Tar/files" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-perl/Archive-Tar/Archive-Tar-1.05.ebuild" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-perl/Archive-Tar/Archive-Tar-0.22.ebuild" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-perl/Archive-Tar/ChangeLog" failed: Permission denied
readlink "/usr/portage/dev-perl/Archive-Tar/Archive-Tar-0.22-r1.ebuild" failed: Permission denied
and since it can't update these files emerge just loops through the sync process giving the same erors.

That is all I have found wrong with my system as of now. I am sure there are going to be more problems. I am going to be trying to back up my system as soon as i can to make sure I don't lose my data, I have over 82 gig of media files I don't care to lose.

Any advice out there?

Edit: I just found another error, samba is broke, I can't mount windows shares I am getting this error.
Code:
/sbin/mount.smbfs: error while loading shared libraries: /sbin/mount.smbfs: unsupported version 0 of Verneed record

YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the power outage may have foobar'ed a lot of packages on your system (possibly the hard drive itself). First thing I would do is boot off the Gentoo cd and run fsck from there. If everything turns out to be OK, try to re-emerge system. Also, try reinstalling module-init-tools, since it yelled at you about that. I wouldn't worry about emerge sync just yet...make sure the system works first. :wink:

Also, make sure the "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS..." line is commented out (or deleted) of your make.conf before emerging system again.
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already emerge module-init-tools, that is what fixed my system to get me into it.

I have ran fsk on /dev/hda1 and it finishes with no errors. if I run fsck on /dev/hda3, it goes and then says it can't rebuild the tree or something. I will post the exact message when i get home b/c you can't run fsck on a mounted /dev with +rw.

I will also try to rememerge the system using x86 and not ~x86
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay this is getting really weird, it turns out my /dev/hda1 is ext2. i would of bet money that it was ext3, but I did a
Code:
mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /boot
and then I ran
Code:
mount
and it shows it mounted as a ext2 partittion and I can read everything in it.

I am really confused as to why this is.

anyways, I have gotten everything else to work, I had to re-emerge firefox and samba to get them working. the only thing left to tackle is why emerge can't read those few directories and files.
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insanity5902 wrote:
the only thing left to tackle is why emerge can't read those few directories and files.

I would make sure /usr/portage is owned by portage:
Code:
# chown -R portage /usr/portage

I would think this will fix it for you.
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it owner and user is root, but root can't change the permissions on it.
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try deleing the whole /usr/portage directory and emerge sync again. This will (hopefully) fix the permission issues.
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should I save in files or folders inside of there?
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I did a
Code:
sudo rm -rf *-*
this way to leave behidn the files and stuff.

Anywas this is what I get
Code:
[10:56:47][/usr/portage]
[m2imirtg] # sudo rm -rf *-*
rm: cannot remove `dev-lisp/cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.73b': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-lisp/cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.78': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-lisp/cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.81': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-lisp/cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.77.2': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-lisp/cl-asdf/metadata.xml': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-lisp/cl-imho/Manifest': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-lisp/cl-imho/cl-imho-1.3.2.ebuild': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-lisp/cl-imho/ChangeLog': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-perl/Archive-Tar/files': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-perl/Archive-Tar/Archive-Tar-1.05.ebuild': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-perl/Archive-Tar/Archive-Tar-0.22.ebuild': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-perl/Archive-Tar/ChangeLog': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `dev-perl/Archive-Tar/Archive-Tar-0.22-r1.ebuild': Permission denied

any other ideas?

I have even tried an emerge sync from the livecd and I recieve the same errors.
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
[10:59:49][/usr/portage/dev-lisp/cl-imho]
[_+_ root _+_] # ls
ls: Manifest: Permission denied
ls: cl-imho-1.3.2.ebuild: Permission denied
ls: ChangeLog: Permission denied

intreseting, I can ls in /usr/portage/dev-lisp but once i go into cl-imho i can't ...

Code:
[11:02:54][/usr/portage/dev-lisp]
[_+_ root _+_] # ls cl-asdf/
ls: cl-asdf/metadata.xml: Permission denied
files

[11:05:15][/usr/portage/dev-lisp]
[_+_ root _+_] # ls cl-asdf/files/
ls: cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.73b: Permission denied
ls: cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.78: Permission denied
ls: cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.81: Permission denied
ls: cl-asdf/files/digest-cl-asdf-1.77.2: Permission denied

even more interesting i can see the folders inside these folders but not the files ...
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a fix for it. Since I could move the delete or see the files. I just move the folders dev-lisp and dev-perl to dev-lisp-corrupt and dev-perl-corrupt.

The move went fine and I was able to run emerge sync without any errors.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: