View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Change gnome icons Reply with quote

Sometime Gnomes usck in interface design. It seem like if the eveloppers never use what they program, otherwise things would get fixed.

Anyhow, before I break another key of my keyboard (out of impatience), can someone be kind enough to tell me how the $%?&* you change an icon!

WHen I right click an object, go to properties, it open the /usr/share/pixmaps box (empty). I click browse, hit home folder, right-click any file, choose "show hidden filles", browse to .icons/Noia/48x48/apps/.

There, I'm lost. If I just click "open" the folder, it opens the folder in nautilus. If I choose a file, then it puts the full path to that file in the icons box and I can't choose anything. If I cut and paste the path to the folder into the icons box, nothing happens.

It's completely useless. :evil:
lucasjb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Change gnome icons Reply with quote

Hi tecknojunky,

tecknojunky wrote:
There, I'm lost. If I just click "open" the folder, it opens the folder in nautilus.

Weird. It should open the folder in the file selector dialog.

tecknojunky wrote:
If I choose a file, then it puts the full path to that file in the icons box and I can't choose anything.

Well, you're almost there. Click "OK", icon is set. It is a bit confusing that the new icon and path aren't displayed in the icon select dialog, that's just how it works. You can also type the path to the icon folder in the icon select window, which should fill the window up with the icons from that folder... if that makes sense...
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Change gnome icons Reply with quote

lbarbuto wrote:
Hi tecknojunky,
Hi

lbarbuto wrote:
tecknojunky wrote:
There, I'm lost. If I just click "open" the folder, it opens the folder in nautilus.

Weird. It should open the folder in the file selector dialog.
Yes, it does open the folder in the file selector. I naviguate the folders thrue double-clicking, but since the icon selector expect a folder to show the ocons in it, how do you select a folder in this fashion? I tought clicking the open would do that, but it has the exact same behavior as double-clicking.

lbarbuto wrote:
tecknojunky wrote:
If I choose a file, then it puts the full path to that file in the icons select dialog and I can't choose anything.

Well, you're almost there. Click "OK", icon is set. It is a bit confusing that the new icon and path aren't displayed in the icon select dialog, that's just how it works.
So, you mean that I can't choose icons by the way they look? I must always go by name? Makes no sense.

lbarbuto wrote:
You can also type the path to the icon folder in the icon select window, which should fill the window up with the icons from that folder... if that makes sense...
The problem is that the path is rather long to be simply remembered. I cut and paste it, but it does not show any icons.
lucasjb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Change gnome icons Reply with quote

tecknojunky wrote:
Yes, it does open the folder in the file selector. I naviguate the folders thrue double-clicking, but since the icon selector expect a folder to show the ocons in it, how do you select a folder in this fashion? I tought clicking the open would do that, but it has the exact same behavior as double-clicking.

Yes, that's how it works for me too. I agree that you've definitely hit upon a poor UI implementation.

tecknojunky wrote:
So, you mean that I can't choose icons by the way they look? I must always go by name? Makes no sense.

Again, I agree it doesn't make sense. One trick you can use is open an icon in a folder so that you get the full path to it in the icon select dialog, then manually erase the filename of the path in the location bar and hit enter, you'll then get to see all the icons in the directory. Clunky, yes. There's most likely a GNOME bug database where you could submit a wishlist bug to get this fixed. I agree with you that it's not particularly easy to use.

Last edited by lucasjb on Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Change gnome icons Reply with quote

A good and nice question is :

Is there any nice set of icons one can change all at once for the most common applications? Or one needs to change always one by one?

tecknojunky wrote:
Sometime Gnomes usck in interface design. It seem like if the eveloppers never use what they program, otherwise things would get fixed.

Anyhow, before I break another key of my keyboard (out of impatience), can someone be kind enough to tell me how the $%?&* you change an icon!

WHen I right click an object, go to properties, it open the /usr/share/pixmaps box (empty). I click browse, hit home folder, right-click any file, choose "show hidden filles", browse to .icons/Noia/48x48/apps/.

There, I'm lost. If I just click "open" the folder, it opens the folder in nautilus. If I choose a file, then it puts the full path to that file in the icons box and I can't choose anything. If I cut and paste the path to the folder into the icons box, nothing happens.

It's completely useless. :evil:

lucasjb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Change gnome icons Reply with quote

pmatos wrote:

Is there any nice set of icons one can change all at once for the most common applications? Or one needs to change always one by one?

Not exactly sure what this has to do with the original post, but yes, you can change your icon theme through the GNOME theme manager. Open Applications->Desktop Preferences->Theme, select a theme and choose Theme Details, the third tab Icons, let's you change your icon theme for GNOME.

Of course, this doesn't suit everybody. Lots of people like to set their own icons and the original poster has a point that it's not handled altogether nicely by the GNOME custom icon selection interface.
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Change gnome icons Reply with quote

Not related to the original post, just came to me when I read the original post. Thanks for your answer.

lbarbuto wrote:
pmatos wrote:

Not exactly sure what this has to do with the original post, but yes, you can change your icon theme through the GNOME theme manager. Open Applications->Desktop Preferences->Theme, select a theme and choose Theme Details, the third tab Icons, let's you change your icon theme for GNOME.

Of course, this doesn't suit everybody. Lots of people like to set their own icons and the original poster has a point that it's not handled altogether nicely by the GNOME custom icon selection interface.

lucasjb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Change gnome icons Reply with quote

pmatos wrote:
Not related to the original post, just came to me when I read the original post. Thanks for your answer.

No problem. You'll probably find packages in portage called gnome-themes and gnome-themes-extras (or something similar, not on my Gentoo box right now) that will contain some nice icon sets. There is also the Lila theme (includes a nice SVG icon set that seems to be almost complete) made specifically for Gentoo that a lot of people seem to appreciate.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: