View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshanab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Can't access virtual terminals Reply with quote

I have an occasional need to drop to a virtual terminal and kill an X aplication that has frozen the desktop. For some reason I cant acces the virtual terminals that are running. Control F1 does nothing, Alt f1 brings down applications menu from gnome.
GatoVolador
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Ctrl+Alt+Fx where Fx is the functionkey corresponding to one of your virtual terminals.

Regards,
Jay
jshanab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

I had tried that when it locked up but I guess it was really locked up. BTW, All documentation i found on web site says ctrl-f1 and there is no mention of how to get back to desktop. LOL(i found it)
GatoVolador
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, on every linux machine I've had Ctrl+Alt+Fx has been the way to change virtual consoles. Usually, Ctrl+Alt+F7 gets you back to X.

Regards,
Jay
jshanab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: but it is not in the doc Reply with quote

When i tried the ctrl-alt-f1 and it didn't work I thought I had forgotten the keystroke. What I said was show me where it says use ctrl-alt-f7 to return and where it says press ctrl-alt-f1 instead of "activate a virtual console and...

I am pointing out that we are now getting to the point where people are coming into linux at the gui and haven't seen all the console stuff we old-timers have, we need to be diligent in our documentation.
GatoVolador
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you are correct, sir. I don't recall having seen 'press Ctrl+Alt+Fx to open a virtual console' or 'Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to X' anywhere on these forums. I even did a Google search for linux+virtual+console and the first article that came up mentioned using Alt+Fx to switch between consoles, so apparently the keystrokes may vary between distributions and this could be a problem for a new user. Perhaps it is something that should be added to the Installation Handbook?

Regards,
Jay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: