linux-2.6.7, Gentoo-2004.2 boot failure
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart_Gilbert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: linux-2.6.7, Gentoo-2004.2 boot failure Reply with quote

I decided to reinstall Gentoo, it's been a while since I used it. I've followed through the handbook, even recompiled my kernel a couple of times, deleted some extra kernel modules that I compiled for my wireless NIC, and yet I still can't get more than a second in to the kernel boot process.

I can't get any useful information from dmesg, I don't know why, but I don't see any errors, there aren't even any proper error files in /var/logs and I know I set up my system logger to run.

Some text flashes REALLY quickly for a short amount of time and then my screen goes mostly blank and I'm left with a flashing cursor/carat on my screen.

I can't ctrl-alt-backspace, ctrl-alt-F1, F2 etc. I have to hard-power-off before I can do anything.

After thiking hard I can't come up woth any solutions and it's driving me crazy. I can't get internet access at all, not even with the boot CD, but this shouldn't stop the system from booting. Is there anything I likely forgot to do that would cause this kind of behaviour?

I'd post my logs if I a) thought they'd help at all, or b) had any way of getting them from that folder to the internet.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can provide. I wouldn't come here with such a question unless I'd tried everything else I could think of. I did find a similar problem on these forums and it was solved by retrying the whole process... I'll probably try that tomorrow if I don't get any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart Gilbert.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you compiled your kernel, did you select the right processor model? Also, you might try booting with vga=normal, to see if you can get more text to appear...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: