Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
A few why xyz is better in linux than XP questions.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: A few why xyz is better in linux than XP questions. Reply with quote

Hi.

Just curious about a few things.

IMHO, the 24bit display in linux looks much better than 32 bit in XP, how come?

Also, whilst smurfing the tinterweb the speed at which pages load seems faster. Looking at opera`s speed display, in linux it seems to get up to full speed much quicker than XP, which explains the faster loading, but why is this??

Thanks
lbrtuk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For something like a display, 24bit colour is exactly the same as 32bit. It uses 8 bits for red, 8 bits for green and 8 bits for blue. Technically that's 24bit, and some programs refer to it like that, but a lot of software actually stores it in 32bit chunks (the extra 8 bits being empty) simply because units of 32 bits 'stack' better than 24 and it can be faster.

32bit is only really used with RGBA (alpha) where the extra 8 bits are used to house the alpha information for each pixel. But the concept of alpha is rather meaningless when it comes to displays.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A few why xyz is better in linux than XP questions. Reply with quote

jammin wrote:
Also, whilst smurfing the tinterweb the speed at which pages load seems faster. Looking at opera`s speed display, in linux it seems to get up to full speed much quicker than XP, which explains the faster loading, but why is this??
Thanks
GNU/Linux handles resources (Memory, CPU & I/O scheduling, etc.) very efficiently, wheras Windows...well, sucks. That's why I can play UT2004 at like just above 30 FPS on my comp (back when I was using Win XP), but with GNU/Linux, I can play it (natively, not through Wine/WineX) at an almost constant 45 FPS on my older hardware. It rocks. Seriously.
BennyP
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these people with multi-GHz supercomputers at home that run sooo slow and that dont live up to their potential and dont help their users achieve theirs. and why???? MS = Money System. Windows isall about keeping the people down.

MS exec 1: "OH SHIT, the group-mind is about to activate, what should we do?"
MS exec 2: "Load XP on it, that oughtta slow it down."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: