View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dswissmiss
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: xauth and permission errors Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm really not sure what my problem is, so I'll give you all the symptoms.
First, when I boot up and type startx, I get this error: xauth: time out in locking authority file /home/doron/.Xauthority. This happens four times, then I get the nvidia logo, then it's back to the command line with the same error again.
When I first installed gentoo, I could only run gui's as root (fluxbox), so I figured I'd copy all of the hidden folders from /root to /home, and I could then run fluxbox. Now that I downloaded gnome, nothing works.
I logged into fluxbox again, and when I tried to start firefox I got this error:
(Gecko:18171): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Unable to create ~/.gnome directory: Permission denied
Could not create per-user gnome configuration directory `/home/doron/.gnome2/': Permission denied
I get permission errors all the time, which is why I downloaded gnome cause I figured I'm not smart enough to run fluxbox yet, but it seems I messed something up during the install process.
I now know that the hidden folders get created when I run a program, so I have to su to root to run firefox for example (because it's copied over from /root). I'll try erasing all the hidden folders again, but if anyone can help me out I would be grateful.

Sorry for rambling btw.

thanx
Dswissmiss

ps. great, I cant erase the hidden folders from /home cause :
rmdir /home/doron/.mozilla
rmdir: `/home/doron/.mozilla': Directory not empty
:(
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the rmdir problem, you can use 'rm -rf', but be very careful. It removes what you tell it to without asking, so you if you accidentally rm -rf / then you are in trouble.

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
dswissmiss
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could rephrase:

1) the xauth error is still there, but only appears when I log in with my username, not as root.

2) How do I make it so that programs (such as firefox or gnome) can create, and write to, hidden folders. Basically, how do I give myself more root privlieges (don't worry, I wont go overboard with giving myself too many, I realize the importance of root)

Thanx again
Dswissmiss
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: