8355 Laptop MITAC, AJP and a lot of other companies sell it
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Athosonline
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: 8355 Laptop MITAC, AJP and a lot of other companies sell it Reply with quote

I have attempted to install the 64 bit version of gentoo on this laptop but I couldn't since ethernet would not work. This laptop has a VIA VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter could someone please help me find wich driver I sould load with modprobe to get this to work??? I also have a wireless access card ( linksys Wireless G) and I couldn't get that to work either. I tried noacpi, dopcmcia, on the 2004.2 release of the 64 bit version of live cd, no luck!

I would apriciate if this thread is used to help me and others having problems with this laptop that comes under several brand names ( so far I came across over 5 diferenct brands)

Thanks in Advance for the help. :)
Athosonline
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Universal Cd rules Reply with quote

Installing from the universal cd was a breeze, no more network problems, For those of you with a 8355 laptop if you run into problems, with the build in ethernet do this
modprobe -r eth1394
modprobe -r via-rhine
modprobe via-rhine
modprobe eth1394

This fixes the problem of not finding the via rhine card even after the module was succesfouly loaded, you simply have to load via rhine before eth1394 to fix, I wonder why.....????

AJP 8355
AMD 64bit 3200+
60Gb 7200rpm hard drive
linksys wifi,
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Universal Cd rules Reply with quote

Athosonline wrote:
This fixes the problem of not finding the via rhine card even after the module was succesfouly loaded, you simply have to load via rhine before eth1394 to fix, I wonder why.....????

I think the LiveCD's startup scripts only support the first network interface (even if that is not the one you plan on using). You can add support for more interfaces by doing this.
Code:
# ln -s /etc/init.d/net.eth0 /etc/init.d/net.eth1
# /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: