Install - Filesystem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
half
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Install - Filesystem Reply with quote

Hi!

For the first time in my life I am trying to install linux. The machine I have had windows on it before (one partion on a 2gig hdd, yeah the machine is old). Now I wonder if the fat32 filesystem on the hdd will cause me trubbel? Is there a way to reformat my hdd using a linux filesystem before I install gentoo? I understand that there are a few filesystems out there for linux. If I am out in the blue please correct me with what to do.

I am a real nooob so please be gentle!

Thx and hoping for response :)
widu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you boot from a liveCD simply use fdisk to partition you harddisk first - if you want to. There are of course several tools to reformat partitions. For the beginning I would recommend ext3 as filesystem, because I never ever had any trouble with it. to set up an ext3 filesystem on e.g. /dev/hda1 (wich is the first partition on your first hd) simply type
Code:
mke2fs -j /dev/hda1

Be sure that the partition you want to reformat isn't mounted.
And you should for sure read at least the installing sections of the gentoo-handbook before installing, it will explain an awfull lot of things.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I'm assuming you don't want Windows on this computer anymore, so you can do whatever you wish to the hard-disk? What I think you're looking for is this part of the Installation Guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4

It'll tell you how to set up the disk, etc. Basically, setting up the partitions and filesystems is part of the install; you don't have to do it first. I personally use cfdisk instead of fdisk though - it's a much more intuitive program!

(Note: this wasn't a "RTFM n00b!" post - it's just that the Handbook explains things better than I can! :D )
half
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

Thnx alot for the answers.. I´ll look into it right away. Feels like I have som reading to do :)

Again, thx alot!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: