View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkruer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Problems with KDE or is it Konqueror? Reply with quote

Hello,

I just recently got Gentoo up and running and I am having several wierd things happen in KDE. For example, on my desktop I have a home icon. If I click this icon the icon disappears, then all my icons disapear and then they reappear but nothing else happens. This process takes about 3-5 seconds. This happens with all icons not just my home directory. For example the same thing happens with a text file.

If I use the Home icon that is on the task bar, Konqueror opens up to my home directory fine. However, if I click on any file to open it then the KDE crash handler comes up saying that Konqueror crashed.

Can anyone help me? What have I setup wrong?

Thanks!
[UK]Superdude
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds nasty.
Can you give us a little bit more information, as nothing springs to mind immediately.
Is there a certain action other than simply your home icon that causes a crash?
What version of KDE are you using?
Are you using XFree or Xorg?
What kernel are you using?
Are you using experimental GCC or Glibc?
What CFLAGS did you use to compile your system with?

Have you tried bugs.gentoo.org to see if there are any others having similar issues?

I'm currently using Kde 3.3-beta-1 and have been happy with the stability I've seen so far. With a bit more info hopefully we can get you running nice and stable too.
jkruer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a certain action other than simply your home icon that causes a crash?

Nope, it seems that any icon on my desktop does this. It included text files or movies. The same goes for once I actually get Konqueror open.

Quote:
What version of KDE are you using?

Quote:
Are you using XFree or Xorg?

Xorg

Quote:
What kernel are you using?

2.6 Gentoo's

Quote:
Are you using experimental GCC or Glibc?

Not that I know of. However, I am not completely sure what you mean by this.

Quote:
What CFLAGS did you use to compile your system with?

This is my entire make.conf file:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built
this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -mcpu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.netnitco.net http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/g
entoo ftp://gentoo.netnitco.net/pub/mirrors/gentoo/source/"
USE="-gtk -gnome qt kde cdr alsa"

I have used other distros and I have never seen anything like this before happen. I searched the forum before I posted this but could not find anything like it. I will go to bugs.gentoo.org and see if I can find anything there.

Thank!
PMT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having the same problem, using Xfree, 2.6 kernel, after upgrading to KDE 3.2.3 from 3.2.2.

Interestingly, I note that I open any ftp:/, file:/, smb:/, what-have-you, and it loads completely [I can scroll by dragging the scroll bar], but clicking on any FILE [not folder!], or using the keyboard to scroll around with up/down/left/right, crashes it with a signal 11 [SIGSEGV, or segmentation fault]. Backtrace reports the following:

Code:
This backtrace appears to be useless.
This is probably because your packages are built in a way which prevents creating of proper backtraces, or the stack frame was seriously corrupted in the crash.

(no debugging symbols found)...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
0x412979d8 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#0  0x412979d8 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0

Yeah, I know it's not helpful. Hope this helps, if even a bit...I suspect it's KDE-3.2.3 that has a problem...or KDE-3.2.3 and 2.6.7-gentoo-r11 kernel.

EDIT: Oh, incidentally, here's my make.conf:
Code:
/etc/make.conf
# For reference, the odd combination of make flags is due to the fact that GCC 3.3 has
# no pentium-m flag, and I'm trying to see exactly how much my Pentium-M chipset will
# actually do.
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -frename-registers -fforce-addr -falign-functions=64 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="acpi alsa cdr dvd gtk gif -gnome java jpeg kde mpeg mmx ncurses pcmcia qt quicktime samba sse sse2 tiff usb wifi xvid"
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

GCC 3.3.3-r6.

I'm going to try rebuilding KDE-3.2.2 in a bit, when I have time.
ChrisM87
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just registered to say that I am expiriencing same problems.

My configuration: (fresh emerged a few days ago)
Kernel: 2.6.7 (development-sources)
KDE: 3.2.3
XFree86 with nvidia driver
Latest gcc etc. (as I set, this machine has been set up a few days ago)

My make.conf:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -mcpu=i686 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPS="-j2"
USE="-gtk -gnome qt kde dvd alsa cdr icq msn usb xmms"

I hope, anyone finds a solution for this because a desktop with non-working icons and a file explorer...eh konqueror that doesn't work isn't a very nice system. :roll:

Just a tip for all others with the same problem: Try to click an icon and hold the mouse until all icons reappeared. Then release the button.

ChrisM
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point of having -march=pentium4 -mcpu=i686? First you specify with -march to optimise it so that it can only run on cpus supporting pentium4 instructions, then you underoptimise it with mcpu for no apparant reason. Is this a new trend since you both seem to do this?
PMT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Forgot to post, I found the bug.

It's documented in KDE's BugZilla; it apparently doesn't like the -msse2 flag on kdeartwork. In other words, you can either -march=pentium3 and emerge just kdeartwork [the problem should go away; it did for me], or -mno-sse2 [I think that's the disable SSE2 flag]. And before you say that you're not using it, -march=pentium4 enables it, and I'm guessing it doesn't like it with the -mcpu=686 [you're not really using a P4, if you have to use that flag, now are you?].

Hope that helps.
ChrisM87
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

@sindre: Sorry, I am really noob, so i went to #gentoo-anfaenger (which is a german IRC channel for gentoo beginners) and asked for the optimal make.conf for my system. So I just copied to my make.conf what they gave me. But isn't -march=pentium4 kind of a specification of 686, so the compiler will just ignore 686 because it knows that it should compile for 686 with p4 instructions?

@PMT: Sorry again, but what exactly have I got to do? Shall I insert -mno-sse2 into my CXXFLAGS and then reemerge kdeartwork. After that I can take the -mno-sse2 out of my make.conf again? But won't that give problems, if a new version of KDE is released and I'm updating my system with SSE2 support again? Or do you think, this bug is fixed in the next version?

ChrisM
ChrisM87
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*push*

plz help
jkruer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Quote:
What's the point of having -march=pentium4 -mcpu=i686? First you specify with -march to optimise it so that it can only run on cpus supporting pentium4 instructions, then you underoptimise it with mcpu for no apparant reason. Is this a new trend since you both seem to do this?

I am not sure why I had that in there. I think that it was put in there automatically. At the top of my make.conf file it has this line:

Quote:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built
this stage

I only took the default file and added a little bit of optimization that was discussed in the handbook. Thanks for mentioning that though. I do have a P4, so I tood the advice and removed the "-mcpu=i686".

Anyways, back to the topic, I ended up emerging KDE 3.3 beta 2 and it works great. I have less problems with the beta than I do with the Official release. Thanks for everyone's help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: