Gentoo on iBook / PowerBook?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxwells Silver Hammer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on iBook / PowerBook? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm gonna buy a laptop soon. Horray! Since I would like to run Gentoo anyways and not some hole-in-the-wall system, I thought about getting an Apple machine. I was told at the Linux day in Karlsruhe that Gentoo works very well on machines named after a popular fruit, as long as it doesn't use the nVidia cards.
But in the new c't (German computer magazine), they tested the iBook with SuSE and said there are problems with the fan (doesn't turn on or turns on too much) and others.

I found some sites where it's explained how to get stuff to work by messing around and such.

But before I will decide on a type of laptop, I would like to make sure what exactly I have to expect. Is Gentoo running better on an Apple machine or an IBM/Windows type machine? If I would buy an iBook, would I be able to use or would I have to spend day and night trying to install drivers, apply patches, etc.?

In the end: Is it a good idea to buy an iBook / PowerBook?
jjasghar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powerbook! powerbook! i have friend who has set up her powerbook with gentoo and it's bad ass.

ibooks are cool but if you can afford the powerbook that's the path you need to take.

(i would like a powerbook too if you got some extra cash :wink: )
#include <LinuxUser #324070>
main()
{
printf("and i'm sorry my spellign sucs.");
}
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: