USE options
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gymsmoke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: USE options Reply with quote

In part 6 of the install, there is some verbage after the portage sync about the USE settings. As I am new to 'tweaking' these, the contents of my /etc/make.profile/make.defaults file is:
GRP_STAGE23_USE="ipv6 pam tcpd readline nls ssl gpm perl python berkdb acl ncurses"
Use="x86 oss apm arts avi berkdb crypt cups encode foommaticdb gdbm gif gpm gtk gtk2 imlib jpeg kde gnome libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl pam pdflib png python qt quicktime readline sdl slang spell ssl svga tcpd truetype X xml2 xv zlib"

ARCH="x86"
COMPILER="gcc3"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"

I want to basically set this system up for LAMP development using php, xml, xsl, xslt. I also want to get the ipw2100 wireless on board (eventually). Can anyone tell me if there are components here that I am missing (or if there are parts here that I definitely wouldn't need ?

Thanks for any input. I really want to get this a little closer to working this time (my 5th shot) :oops:
mudrii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can chk and see what USE flaf pachet is supporting
#emerge sync
#emerge -pv pachet
kenthepostman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two options for the ipw2100 board. There's an open source driver being developed by intel that can be found at http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/ . Another option, the one I use to the ipw2200 is ndiswrapper which uses the native windows driver. It can be found at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/. In either case you should be able to get it to work.
gymsmoke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudrii~
what is flaf pachet ??

ken~
there's actually three or four pieces needed, other than just the driver at sourceforge. I have the list of which components I need. I was trying to determine (for that particular item) if I could download them and install them before a complete install of the gentoo system (i'm running a minimalcd with stage1). I'm also concerned about the number of possibilities in the USE variable set and which ones I definitely need and which I can do without.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: