system restarts randomly out of X
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: system restarts randomly out of X Reply with quote

hi everyone.

i've got a rather strange thing here. my system not only locks up but also does a complete restart (of course without switching to the right runlevel first :wink: ) this happens since my little pc was struck down by two very unhappy power failures. i'm not sure if those are the reason, or if they've just kicked my system, so that it would recognize my nvidia drivers+preempt kernel setting.
so i've searched through the forums and found out that nvidia's drivers do seem (though unconfirmed) to have problems with preempt-kernels. is this a real issue and is it to be fixed by either nvidia or the kernel-devs?
is this a issue at all in e.g. a vanilla kernel, because i (nor does a friend of mine, with nearly the same sys-specs) never ever had such or any related problems with slackware or any other distrib where i built my own vanilla kernel!?

this system behaviour of mine is really completely new to me and scratches on my believe in gentoo. this might well be a gentoo-kernel issue. can anyone tell me what i could try to avoid those random lockups? i'll try to set preempt to no, but i don't think of that as a good solution.

the other thing is that article i read about on the gentoo site concerning amd processors and linux kernels in general. i've never had problems before, but that doesn't mean that this ist the time the ugly stuff catches up with me, right? :(

SysSpecs:
AMD AthlonXP 2000+ (1666Mhz / 133[266]FSB)
Epox 8KHAL (VIA KT266A)
512MB Infineon RAM
Asus GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB (V8460 Ultra) (nvidia 3123)
IBM 80GB 7200rpm / Segate 40GB 5400rpm
Creative SBLive! (alsa 0.9.0rc3)
Gentoo Kernel (preempt, 2.4.19)
X (4.2.1) + Enlightenment (0.16)

Last edited by eNTi on Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to OTG. Please do not post questions in Documentation, Tips and Tricks. It is not a support forum.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: system restarts radonmly out of X Reply with quote

I would definately try a vanilla kernel to see if the problems persist.

eNTi wrote:
the other thing is that article i read about on the gentoo site concerning amd processors and linux kernels in general. i've never had problems before, but that doesn't mean that this ist the time the ugly stuff catches up with me, right?
Many people are running without the AMD related problem. I've never experienced it. If I recall, the problem is only with certain CPUs, and isn't even an AMD fault. I could be mistaken. Seems like Thoroughbred's were the/one chip affected.
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here comes another strange issue. not only that my system sometimes restart, but also that my screen goes blank (even though i have DISABLED advanced power management in bios AND kernel) and won't recover. the VERY strange thing is that even my rtc hangs. yes. i have to readjust my clock in my bios. i don't get it... there's really something devilish :evil: is going on with my machine. could such behavior be a hardware issue caused by my recent power failures rather than a gentoo kernel issue? :(
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundin' like hardware to me, bud.

~Mac~
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm thinking hardware. Obviously, software is cheaper to fix, so the vanilla-source may be the first thing to try. However, I think the most likely culprits are the power supply, motherboard, RAM or processor (in that order).
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've installed a plain vanilla 2.4.19 kernel and everything is fine - for now. yeah, even starcraft ist fast now :).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: