View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: embedding fonts into PostScript Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got some font problems. When I print my letters on a LaserJet 5000 without embedding fonts it can't print the Euro-sign - too old firmware. Other printers work - so that's his own problem...

But when I then try to include the fonts into the postscript, the file itself and then the printout both look quite ugly. You can have a look at http://www.fs.tum.de/~meyerm/bildschirmfoto9.png to see what I mean. The letters are "randomly" spaced ;-)

What's wrong with my system? Since I would also need to embed the fonts if I want to print non-usual font (didn't do that until now) I would really like to get my system work. Especially since I now have to use a laserjet "far away" in the net to print and must walk to it... :P

Thanks you

app-text/ghostscript-afpl
media-libs/freetype-2.1.5-r1
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, perhaps this is a QT/Koffice problem? When I create a file in OpenOffice it looks good on the screen. The created ps looks not quite as good, but at least it is really usable - even the Euro is visible. OOo always includes the fonts.

PDFs created with OOo are also much nicer than PDFs out of KOffice... Hmm, perhaps this is really a QT problem? But what did I wrong on compiletime? Or is it a configuration issue?

Just tell me what file / command outputs you need :-)
trumee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Lyx (emerge lyx), it is the best amongst them all as far ps/pdf go.
gustafson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumee wrote:
Try Lyx (emerge lyx), it is the best amongst them all as far ps/pdf go.

Does this mean it is the best at embedding fonts? Or are you starting a debate? :)

I too am wondering how to embed fonts.

Regarding the post of meyerm, creating a file and viewing it does not guarantee that it can be viewed elsewhere. I don't think OOo always includes fonts, since just yesterday I tried to export a document with a unique font and I wouldn't print on the printer nor view with acroread.

I need the font to be embedded in the file so it goes with the document. (printing, viewing on another machine etc).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: