GUI for cd burning
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: GUI for cd burning Reply with quote

I need suggestions for a CD burning front end.
I'm reinstalling my system and had gnome, I ended up using K3B but I don't want to anymore... it requires QT and some KDElibs and its not worth it for 1 app. Plus as K3b gets more integrated with KDE's control centre (good for kde users) it becomes hard for gtk/gnome to configure.

So what are some good GUI's for gnome?
I need to be able to:

a) burn ISO and bin images
b) burn normal data files
c) copy CD's on the fly would be nice.
d) burning CD musc (nice not needed)

There's no doubt k3b is the best, but it has a lot of un-needed stuff for me.

How is gToaster? I tried this last time and fails to compile on 2.6 kernels. Since I'm install in the process I cannot try it.

What are you suggestions? I'l like to hear your feedback on them as well if you used them (hence this new thread)
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use X-Cdroast. It's ISO burning is superior, it's easy to burn data files in, it's the EASIEST to burn music cd copys in, and it can burn any WAV file onto your disk to a CD. Barely any overhead, but every config option you could ever want is somewhere in there.
Registered Linux User #263260
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like the "unstable" version of k3b. Mostly the unstable one because it supports dvd burning.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secondshadow wrote:
Personally I like the "unstable" version of k3b. Mostly the unstable one because it supports dvd burning.

he wanted something non k3b/kde/qt :P. I am also in the market for burning app on my other comp that runs gnome, I was gonna emerge kde but it came up to be like over 20 packages just to do it so didn't really want to. Specially considering its a p2 300
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xcdroaster is not bad for gnome users, I'm using it:)

however, it takes some time to get used to its GUI and the annoying
error message (track burning error or so...) whenever I finish burning something, in fact, there's no error at all, I've checked every disc that
I burned...

coaster seems to be something
really worth waiting for, its gui is really simple and straightforward, however, it's not in the portage yet :D
nostabo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the subject is GNOME cd burners, but I have given up on the poor UI and feature set of GNOME-based (GTK) cd-burning apps. I have tried all those programs mentioned (except coaster??).

I will be installing K3B on my "pure" GNOME system shortly (probably later tonight) because it is SUPERIOR to any X-based cdr app. The problem many people have with KDE does beyond the libraries and borders on politics with some and ignorance in others; of course taste may have something to do with it, too. In fact most *NIX apps require specific software libraries to function...this is the idea of dependencies. Even Windoze apps require specific libraries; some more than others.

Emerging all of KDE and QT just for one app is nonsense, however, and maybe it can be pared down...I will let you know what I can find as the minimum requirements. But K3B is a good reason to install these evil libraries, nonetheless.

All in all it must be remembered that these applications are frontends for cdrecord...which burns ISOs quite well from the commandline.

Look here for more on this subject: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=189844&highlight=
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right in the middle. I use both QT and GTK apps with no hesistation. Why? More choices. Both libraries are excellent (well, GTK1 blows). Why would anyone limit themselves to just GTK or just QT apps is beyond me? Using both libraries just gives you more choices. As mentioned in the post above, there are PLENTY of windows applications that are loaded with libraries only it will use.

I've tried xcdroast and gtoaster. I believe they fall way short compared to k3b. k3b is to linux as nero is to windows. IMO.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use the console tools but this is for the family machine whos users aren't that computer literate and would never touch a command line :P

I would just emerge k3b but over 20 packages on a 300mhz pentium 2 would take awhile and wanted to avoid it if i could.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and i like the coaster screen shots it seems very easy to use which is a major plus considering environment the app i choose will be working in, that aside I never found k3b difficult interface wise etc was just making a point.

No one has made an ebuild for coaster?
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately, if it's a family machine, k3b is the most user friendly. It's straight forward with no fuss. xcdroast and gtoaster *do* work but i doubt they would be friendly enough for non-geeks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: