Backup Vinyl LPs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Backup Vinyl LPs Reply with quote

What would I need to do this? Like hardware/software wise, what codec should I used (thinking flac but what settings). Just curious as something may want to do sometime in future.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recommend any specific software, but what you would need is some software that can record via the "line in" jack on your soundcard. If you already knew this then sorry for the non-helpful advice. :)
Coda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my dad does this rather often. You don't need any special hardware, if you have a working turntable player and your sound card has a microphone or line-in jack. The only hardware you might need is a cable to connect your turntable (or the stereo system it's connected to) to that input jack, which will typically be either a dual-RCA to 1/8" headphone adapter or a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone adapter.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have 2 rca to mini stereo jack wire thing I use it to hook the line out to the stereo of comp so can just switch around to out of stereo and line in on soundcard. Only thing wondering is will I need a better soundcard prolly? mines only a crappy onboard one, are line-in jacks always stereo or are they mono only sometimes?
Coda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a mono line jack in... well... I think the only time I ever saw one was when it was a pair of mono line jacks, so it was still a stereo configuration. Never seen a sound card with any mono 1/8" jacks.

And while you may notice a difference in quality between sound cards when it comes to mic/line inputs, you shouldn't notice a significant difference from LP's because of the noise inherent in LP playback.
xmit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a special preamplifier for a record player. Connecting it directly to line- or micro-in is no good idea.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmit wrote:
You need a special preamplifier for a record player. Connecting it directly to line- or micro-in is no good idea.

I should be able to connect my record player to my stereo reciever and then plug the line outs on the stereo reciever to the line in on comp no?
furanku
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Gramofile (ebuild available) and the Gnome Wave Cleaner (no ebuild available). They have special filters for declicking, denoising and derumbling your recordings.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zepp wrote:
xmit wrote:

I should be able to connect my record player to my stereo reciever and then plug the line outs on the stereo reciever to the line in on comp no?

Yes, that should work. However:

My first recommendation would be to get a really good new turntable and cartridge before embarking on any of this. This doesn't have to be a huge expenditure -- about $300-400 all together. You might be surprised as to what a new turntable and cartridge can do in terms of reducing noise and clicks. And if you are still balking at the price, depending on your record collection, it could be looked at as a $1.00-2.00 investment per album.

The second thing to do is to really clean your records well before digitizing them. A proper cleaning will do more to reduce hiss/clicks than dehissing software.

Finally, I would consider skipping the noise reduction software altogether. The problem with noise reduction/declicking software is that it tends to wipe out high frequency information as well. This tends to make the music sound a little less lifelike. Most vinyl enthusiasts "listen through" the clicks and hiss after taking care of the first two steps above.

Besides, after getting a new turntable and cartridge, and a good cleaning, you may be surprised as to how good vinyl can sound, and choose to listen to music through your stereo instead of through your computer, the way God meant music to be listened to. :D
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening just through stereo not likely takes way to long/hassle to find and switch to a single track or even album if gotta go digging for it :P

I am pretty sure turn table have is/was a pretty good one haha I do believe it wasn't just some cheapie, but It may need new needle etc have to look into that.
Woody
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest not using any application that applies
filters while recording. Record the source as close to
possible to the original using a lossless codec like flac.
If you only want mp3s you can tweak and apply filters
as you move to a lossy codec.

A decent turntable with clean vinyl has a surprisingly
low noise level. I'm more annoyed by the noise floor
of cheap on board audio cards.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya I am kinda worried my sound card will be too crappy, guess just have to try it and see what i think of the results. Any software people could recomend?
Woody
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its gonna be a pretty manual process anyway you do it. I like rezound a lot. It will save to flac which I think is a
good first choice at lossless compression. Otherwise you
should be able to do mp3 or ogg.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I am gonna store them as flac at least at first so have a nice original, not to worried about correcting any problems etc yet just wanna see how good a couple turn out maybe experiment abit see if can even get a decent enough rip to be any good.
Woody
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I just fired up rezound and was reminded at what
a nice app it is.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess ill emerge it and check it out maybe tommorrow. any other suggestions people?
xmit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a interesting Link concerning phono pre-amplifier, english and german version:
http://www.badenhausen.com/VSR1PreAmps.htm
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: