Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corey_s
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
corey_s wrote:
Cool. So your original question was redundant, and/or pointless.
ok, your whole post basically comes down to that sentence and there is a very good answer to it. The amount of popular browsers that do a better job of all that you said is enormous.

Well, ok - but I'd say that my whole post basicaly came down to the following, which I'll go ahead and repeat:

"Choice is good. Don't use it if you don't like it. You should definitely stick to Firefox, if that's your preference. "

Oh, yeah - and in case you missed it:

"Firefox is an excellent browser."

Cheers
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into this login/logout (or lack of) issue a few weeks ago. I ended up clearing some cookies, then I had to enable and allow all cookies and it worked fine. Seems as though there is some sort of problem with konqueror and multiple site cookies that it doesn't like you allowing or disallowing them manually.

Oh and also I didn't know I could open/move/rename/copy files on my webserver with firefox via an ssh connection? ;)
corey_s
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:
I ran into this login/logout (or lack of) issue a few weeks ago. I ended up clearing some cookies, then I had to enable and allow all cookies and it worked fine. Seems as though there is some sort of problem with konqueror and multiple site cookies that it doesn't like you allowing or disallowing them manually.

The bug report:
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=115732

"phpBB (software run at forums.gentoo.org) recently changed their login procedure during the update from 2.0.17 to 2.0.18. The login cookie now contains the session ID and old cookies became invalid. Many people reported [1] the same problem, but clearing *all* forums.gentoo.org cookies will fix it.

The problem is not with any specific version of KDE/konqueror, if it is a bug at all."

Quote:
Oh and also I didn't know I could open/move/rename/copy files on my webserver with firefox via an ssh connection? ;)

<grin>

Well, apparently an "enormous" number of other popular browsers can already do that. Of course, they also do it better than konqueror.

At least we got acid2, if nothing else - eh?

(c8=
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-397945.html
CorpseOfMystic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
why would people even dream of using konqeror anyway?

Because the only other browser offers an equivalent level of productivity is Opera. Konqueror is noteworthy for being the only browser that treats networked files transparently. No other browser lets you right click on an image and get all of the same applicable menu options I get when I right click on an image in the file browser. No other browser lets you embed arbitrary desktop components into itself, giving you specialized handling for whatever content you find on the web, whether it be HTML, plain text, a compressed archive, an image, a word document, a PDF document, an audio or video file, or anything else. At best they have a plugin interface specific to them which, if you are lucky, will give you Acrobat Reader integration, and maybe embeded video. If you are unlucky, you will be downloading and manually opening anything that isn't HTML. Konqueror is the only web browser I know of that extends that model to every file type.

Edit: If you want to compare to Firefox, as the title suggests, then there is no comparison. Firefox requires a lot more memory, its a LOT slower, has worse standards support, has an awful and barely customizable interface, a total lack of accessibility features, and requires two dozen extensions to get even half the functionality of the likes of Konqueror or Opera (until you upgrade Firefox, and then none of those extensions work anymore). You just can't be nearly as productive with it. Click on a tarball, download it, open the folder, open the tarball in a viewer, then click Extract? No thank you, I'll stick with right-clicking on the link and selecting Extract.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[off-topic]
Omg. Deathwing00, your avatar is awesome. >^__^<
[/off-topic]

[on-topic]
Why are we even arguing this in the first place? Gentoo (and F/OSS in general) is all about choice, right? So if you like Konqeuror, use it. If you like Firefox, use it. If you like Epiphany, use it. I, personally, am a huge fan of Epiphany, but that's completely useless. Gecko and KHTML, last I read (sorry I can't find the link at the moment), were both at about the same level of standards-compliance, so that's not such a big issue anymore.
[o/n-topic]
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorpseOfMystic wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
why would people even dream of using konqeror anyway?

Because the only other browser offers an equivalent level of productivity is Opera.
productivity? if you call having other packages on the system doing the same thing but better productivity then you can have it
CorpseOfMystic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
productivity? if you call having other packages on the system doing the same thing but better productivity then you can have it

And what other package would that be? If you have Opera I can understand it, but the thread title (which admittedly you probably did not give, since this was split from another thread, and may be inaccurate) suggests Firefox, which is inferior to Konqueror in every way. If wanted a browser with half the features using twice the memory to render half as well, then yes, I would use Firefox. Konqueror is literally superior to Firefox in every way. Not that that is hard. Even if you want to use a Mozilla browser, there is no excuse to use Firefox. Galeon has all the features you would get from Firefox after spending a week trying to find extensions, and its much faster. Kazehakase also has a history of providing very innovative features that Firefox copied poorly (e.g. live bookmarks).

But you obviously aren't serious, as your reply to corey_s proves, since claiming that many other browsers are better at being super configurable for any task, being a file browser as well, and integrating into the KDE environment, is rather stupid, as Konqueror is actually the only browser to support arbitrary system components consistent with the rest of the desktop, the only browser to fully integrate into KDE (unless you count Krusader's web viewing), and its only competition for system-wide bookmarks and file browsing is Internet Explorer, which does both jobs much more poorly.

Quote:
Gecko and KHTML, last I read (sorry I can't find the link at the moment), were both at about the same level of standards-compliance, so that's not such a big issue anymore.

In my casual experience I find Konqueror renders more sites correctly than Firefox, although its a very rare case anymore that either has problems. From a technical point of view that doesn't come up in casual experience all that often, if ever, Konqueror has more complete CSS support (stuff most people never hear of or use), and support for things like SVG and MNG, which is not in the main Mozilla tree last I checked.
Varean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konqueror isn't a very good browser, I agree. Its not supported by many websites and I don't find it very functional as a web browser anyway. I just use it as a file manager...
Registered Linux User #387568
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked, Firefox worked just fine ontop of KDE.

So, if you prefer Firefox over Konquerer, that doesn't really say anything about KDE vs Gnome.
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
Last time I checked, Firefox worked just fine ontop of KDE.

So, if you prefer Firefox over Konquerer, that doesn't really say anything about KDE vs Gnome.
I'd have to agree with you here.

Firefox vs. Konquerer can't be a KDE vs. GNOME battle since Konquerer is to KDE as Epiphany is to GNOME.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found it interesting that some people can make the same argument that Microsoft makes for ramming its web browser into the OS at the kernel level for all intents and purposes which has proven to be stupid given the seemingly constant security issues that in part can be blamed on the way they "integrated" [There is that buzz word KDE/Gnome buffs are so fond of to the point of not making any damned sense at all since so many of the supposedly great and all powerful integrated programs are a pile of integrated crap.]IE into the OS. I am of the opinion that you cannot twist reality so that one is able to claim that the internet includes every single function in the whole damned universe. Konquer is not a superior web browser to Firefox when you use a sane definition that excludes features that are not really web browsing features. [Everything that has to do with file management essentially.] To try and iclude file management features into the whole debate of a web browser would be like saying that Windows is the greatest OS because internet explorer is a part of the kernel. Please compare appropriate feature sets before saying something is so much greater than another thing.

If Konqueror is so damned great why is it missing a built in rss reader? I can name two other web browsers that have them, the popup blocking that it does have is pretty crappy too I get popups with 3.4 [3.5 gave me a bunch of build errors so I will continue to wait for that to stabilize.] on sites I don't get popups with either of my other browsers. Why is it that when you use black themes some websites just go straight to hell with black on black text, Firefox has this sort of problem too although it does it on slightly fewer sites than Konqueror does so I would say in that respect they are both equal, Opera seems to handle darker themes the best although it does have its own problems with text fields just like the other two.. Can you configure Konqueror to use custom forms of highlighting for different types of links to delineate java script etc? Is it possible to add features to the browser in such a way that all of the features added to the browser are self contained and therefor will in all likelyhood not pollute any unique settings you might have for your DE/WM, while still keeping the functionality exactly the same regardless of what DE/WM you choose to use?

Even Internet Explorer's functionality remains absolutely consistent even after changing the shell [yes believe it or not it can be done.] yet the supposedly superior to Firefox in all ways Konqueror can't even match Internet explorer in this respect and its the one program that Konqueror can fairly be juxtaposed! Oh yea Konqueror is sooo superior to Firefox, just like Windows is the greatest Operating System ever because I never have to install a shell with it, and the shell includes a web browser which tripples as a file manager....

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
episode96
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE integration. I need no more reasons.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

episode96 wrote:
no more reasons not to use it... good call :P
episode96
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
episode96 wrote:
no more reasons not to use it... good call :P

And that's enough for me and many others, that's right. Firefox is my choice on Windows, not on my KDE desktop because of that reason. Anyway, I guess you're going to bash KDE and Konqueror no matter what, so I do not think it's worth the effort to go into further details.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question for you then.

I haven't used KDE or Gnome since Mandrake 8. So I'm fairly objective here and I'm not trying to troll.

But honestly, I can't see a single reason to use Gnome.

I've seen recent benchmarks of 2.12 and 3.4, and KDE was beating Gnome in loading times and speed.
KDE is more feature rich, appears to have a better file manager, and looks better.
On top of it, QT4 is supposed to improve performance drastically, and all the announced features of KDE 4 are really starting to impress me.

Meanwhile, I keep searching for pros and cons on Gnome and I'm not finding ANYTHING. So someone please enlighten me. I've asked several times, and not once has someone come up with a single reason to use Gnome over KDE.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
Here's a question for you then.

I haven't used KDE or Gnome since Mandrake 8. So I'm fairly objective here and I'm not trying to troll.

But honestly, I can't see a single reason to use Gnome.

I've seen recent benchmarks of 2.12 and 3.4, and KDE was beating Gnome in loading times and speed.
KDE is more feature rich, appears to have a better file manager, and looks better.
On top of it, QT4 is supposed to improve performance drastically, and all the announced features of KDE 4 are really starting to impress me.

Meanwhile, I keep searching for pros and cons on Gnome and I'm not finding ANYTHING. So someone please enlighten me. I've asked several times, and not once has someone come up with a single reason to use Gnome over KDE.

Plese, keep on topic. Nobody is talking about gnome in here. Just konqueror vs firefox.
There are lots of threads about that. An example: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-165580-highlight-gnome+kde.html
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually cokehabit has clearly turned the thread into a KDE bashing thread. He keeps maintaining there is no reason to run KDE so I'm asking why to run Gentoo.

And I read over several pages of KDE vs Gentoo here, and not once did I see any objective features, pros vs cons, or anything like that. All I saw was "KDE Suxx" or "Gnome Suxx".

So I went to Gnome's website and found nothing. And I've been Googling for weeks, and found nothing.

This is what I found:

Object oriented vs non-object oriented
QT vs GTK
C++ vs C

The only real reason I saw for running Gnome was the license and that isn't really an issue anymore. Some people were really against QT because "it wasn't really supporting OS" but the licenses have changed.

I suggested early in the thread that KDE vs Gnome shouldn't be an issue since both Konquerer and Firefox can run ontop of KDE. Others insisted on bashing KDE and I'm just trying to play devil's advocate. Besides that, I would sincerely like an answer. I'm not trying to troll. I'm trying sincerely to find out why someone would use Gnome.
CorpseOfMystic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Konquer is not a superior web browser to Firefox when you use a sane definition that excludes features that are not really web browsing features.

I recall disproving your arguments that all of Konqueror's features were file browsing features before:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-389549-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-125.html

And yet you continue to make a fool out of yourself.

Quote:
If Konqueror is so damned great why is it missing a built in rss reader?

You mean like the newsticker sidebar in Konqueror that shows RSS feeds? Duhhh....
What is pathetic is I schooled you in this before, and yet in spite of the fact that I made you aware that this claim is a lie, you continue to spout it.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2802205.html#2802205

Quote:
Is it possible to add features to the browser in such a way that all of the features added to the browser are self contained and therefor will in all likelyhood not pollute any unique settings you might have for your DE/WM, while still keeping the functionality exactly the same regardless of what DE/WM you choose to use?

Konqueror has a more powerful plugin/extension system than Firefox. However, since half the extensions Firefox has provide functionality already in Konqueror, they are not usually necessary. Many Konqueror features are in fact official plugins, including but not limited to:
Auto-refresh (not in Firefox)
Custom user agent strings (not in Firefox)
RSS reader sidebar (poorly done in Firefox, badly integrated into Bookmarks)
Web archiver (not in Firefox)
Translator (not in Firefox)
A menu for disabling certain features (enjoy going to the Preferences menu -- with the mouse, not keyboard shortcuts -- to do anything in Firefox)
Text-to-speech (not in Firefox, try not to be disabled if you want to use that browser)
Download manager integration (not in Firefox)

So I notice, once again, the Konq bashers are unable to actually give an example of a way in which Konqueror is inferior or Firefox better. Just snide remarks that they think (wrongly) hides the fact that they are trying to avoid doing so. How sad. :roll:
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorpseOfMystic wrote:
So I notice, once again, the Konq bashers are unable to actually give an example of a way in which Konqueror is inferior or Firefox better. Just snide remarks that they think (wrongly) hides the fact that they are trying to avoid doing so. How sad. :roll:
Ok, i'll be serious for a moment here instead of just having a laugh.

One reason for me and i think some other people is the fact that it's so damn ugly and no matter what you do with it there always seems to be bulky, much in a similiar way to Mozilla (i dislike that as well). It has some very good features but they are forced on you without asking if you want them.

My main feeling about it is that it is trying to hit too many targets at the same time and because of that it is missing too many of them. They need to water it down and offer everything as an option.
CorpseOfMystic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One reason for me and i think some other people is the fact that it's so damn ugly and no matter what you do with it there always seems to be bulky, much in a similiar way to Mozilla (i dislike that as well). It has some very good features but they are forced on you without asking if you want them.

Appearance is subjective. I for one thing it looks fairly good. Not necessarily the best. I would ask you what your experiences with Konqueror are. If you are just seeing screenshots of it from people who use the most awfully configured Baghira themes you can imagine using hideous fonts (as I occassionaly find, not usually in our desktop threads here thankfully), then I would assume it looked like shit as well. Konqueror, without the sidebar and with 30 seconds customizing toolbars, can be made to look like Galeon or Firefox, and probably most other browsers, with the exception of Opera (which unfortunately is, AFAIK, the only browser that will let me have toolbars within a tab).

In terms of it being bulky I can be objective. Konqueror is very fast. Consider these unscientific tests. The results here are that Konqueror is the fastest to startup, and faster at rendering than any other browser but Opera. It's memory usage is quite low. When you factor out shared libraries, my current Konqueror instance is using 16MB of RAM. In comparison Opera and Firefox usually use 20MB or more right from the start, and only grow larger with time.

As for features being forced on you, a large number of features are official plugins. They can be enabled or disabled, and since they are official, instead of leaving those features up to third parties to create, they are always up to date for the next version of Konqueror. The rest of the features you can simply not use if you don't want to. Konqueror has a good menu layout, you won't be confused by the features you don't use. And the toolbars are customizable, you can remove what you don't use from them.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the only one who thinks you disproved anything, you claim victory without actually proving anything. In the past someone pointed out how Konqueror is missing a popup blocker [I think this is only true for stuff prior to 3.4, 3.4.1 is marked stable though.] and you blew that off as not even important. I already said that I get popups with Konqueror that I do not get with either of my other browsers; I've also said that it has just as many rendering problems that find thier genesis in the system theme as Firefox does. But oh I can only make snide remarks, no you can only be disingenuous and claim victory where there is none.

Quote:
Many Konqueror features are in fact official plugins, including but not limited to:
Auto-refresh (not in Firefox)
Custom user agent strings (not in Firefox)
RSS reader sidebar (poorly done in Firefox, badly integrated into Bookmarks)
Web archiver (not in Firefox)
Translator (not in Firefox)
A menu for disabling certain features (enjoy going to the Preferences menu -- with the mouse, not keyboard shortcuts -- to do anything in Firefox)
Text-to-speech (not in Firefox, try not to be disabled if you want to use that browser)
Download manager integration (not in Firefox)
Did you even think about what you just said if all of these that you just listed are plugins wtf makes Konqueror so much better when alot of these things listed can be improved upon or added with extensions which in many cases are just self contained chrome file additions? Is there another download manager other than Kget which is a total piece of crap even compared to the rather weak default download manager of Firefox, Opera's is better than both of these. Personally I hate using Akregator that thing is a real piece of crap, although it is probably better for articles because of the way that the UI is made [which is just like Opera actually.] I just don't like how opening an article for viewing does not do so in the same font normally used for Konqueror. Having the rss feed in the bookmarks folder makes it much more convinient when the link in the rss feed is for a download link for which one really does not need to see all the other extrenuous information. So it depends on what kind of RSS one is utilizing. That said I do lean towards Opera's implementation, although sage comes close to being exactly what I need. I think windows has facililities built into it for text to speech, and you have to keep in mind that Firefox is really a Windows application when it comes right down to it. As far as I know Opera's text to speech also only is available with the windows version of the browser as well but in the above quote you said it was a plugin, so I see no problem for windows users at least in downloading Foxyvoice although it seems that it no longer works once you get into the 1.5 betas, probably should just become a part of the browser itself and not a plugin or extension since it can be incredibly useful if one is so inclined.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorpseOfMystic wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Appearance is subjective. I for one thing it looks fairly good. Not necessarily the best. I would ask you what your experiences with Konqueror are. If you are just seeing screenshots of it from people who use the most awfully configured Baghira themes you can imagine using hideous fonts (as I occassionaly find, not usually in our desktop threads here thankfully), then I would assume it looked like shit as well. Konqueror, without the sidebar and with 30 seconds customizing toolbars, can be made to look like Galeon or Firefox, and probably most other browsers, with the exception of Opera (which unfortunately is, AFAIK, the only browser that will let me have toolbars within a tab).
I used to have screenshots of it on my website and it is certainly one of the less good looking browsers out there.

CorpseOfMystic wrote:
In terms of it being bulky I can be objective. Konqueror is very fast. Consider these unscientific tests. The results here are that Konqueror is the fastest to startup, and faster at rendering than any other browser but Opera. It's memory usage is quite low. When you factor out shared libraries, my current Konqueror instance is using 16MB of RAM. In comparison Opera and Firefox usually use 20MB or more right from the start, and only grow larger with time.
Being bulky has nothing to do with being fast or slow, it is more about bloat. If i dont want certain features i have no choice but to have them

CorpseOfMystic wrote:
As for features being forced on you, a large number of features are official plugins. They can be enabled or disabled, and since they are official, instead of leaving those features up to third parties to create, they are always up to date for the next version of Konqueror. The rest of the features you can simply not use if you don't want to. Konqueror has a good menu layout, you won't be confused by the features you don't use. And the toolbars are customizable, you can remove what you don't use from them.
it's not whether i want to disable them it is whether i should have to or not. Why should my browser or file manager make me work harder to make it how I want it?

as i said before, it is doing too many things and ends up getting too many wrong. "He who goes after 2 rabbits loses one and misses the other"
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for my part, have tried using firefox but in the end had to give it up. It was simply too slow and unresponsive. Maybe it was my problem but on the same system konqueror was super fast.

The only thing that could convince me to use firefox was the adblock extension. Konqueror has it since version 3.5 and I feel depressed when having to use anything else.

It looks great, is the fastest browser on my system (maybe apart from opera), has all the features I need, is integrated with other applications (the kate_part and kpdf_part are especially nice, also kaffeine for videos, external web pages opened as tabs in the current konq window, etc.), is very customizable (the standard setup is not nice but it took me about 2 minutes to change it, I only had to do it once). You can disable all the features you don't want (extensions and tools).

I do, however, understand, that many people use firefox, since it isn't that bad either ;).
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varean wrote:
Konqueror isn't a very good browser, I agree. Its not supported by many websites

A website that doesn't support Konqueror isn't a very good website.

Good websites don't let down a specific browser. They just use proper (X)HTML code.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: