WTF can't I boot my new kernels??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwigren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: WTF can't I boot my new kernels?? Reply with quote

Hi!

I've been using Linux for over 6 years and Gentoo for a little over 1 year.. I've been compiling a LOT of kernels, since the early 2.0-series..
That said, I don't know what to do now..

I wiped my old Gentoo installation (1.4 beta) to reinstall it from scratch.. I put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in /etc/make.conf and added a "cp /etc/make.conf.build /etc/make.conf" to the bootstrap.sh-script where it temporarily "removes" the old make.conf, so I still would get glibc 2.3.1 instead if 2.2.5..

Everything seems to work fine.. I've compiled X, Gnome and a lot of other stuff... But I can't make my kernels boot!

I've tried gentoo-sources 2.4.19-r10 (which I was running before the reinstall), 2.4.19-r9 and lolo-sources.. I've tried them with and without xfs and acpi4linux.. I've even tried installed older versions of gcc (2.95.3) and binutils, but the same thing happens all the time...

The kernel boots but hangs before it even tries to look for harddrives.. It just sits there... On gentoo-sources it hangs after loading devfs and on lolo-sources it hangs after finding the floppy-controller...

WTF is this? :(

I have a dual athlon-mp box and I use "-march=athlon-mp -O3 -pipe -mfpmath=sse" as my {C,CXX}FLAGS.. I've never had a problem with that before...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a vanilla kernel? Is there a chance you're overlooking a dual proc option?

As an aside, I've read recommendations of O2 instead of O3 with gcc-3.
pwigren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no vanilla kernel yet..

But I was running the same setup before the reinstall... same kernelconfig, same kernelversion (gentoo r10), same compilerversion, same CFLAGS, same bla bla bla... It worked fine..

The only thing that is different is that I am using glibc 2.3.1 from the very beginning (bootstrap.sh) instead of upgrading from 2.2.5...

So, has anyone tried to compile a kernel with glibc 2.3.1 installed and the latest ~x86 binutils?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: