Cross Install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windchill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Cross Install Reply with quote

Hi there

I have a really slow Advantech SBC with a MediaGX CPU. I would like to install Gentoo on this system but it would take ages to compile and install gentoo on this thing.

Could I compile / install Gentoo on my desktop system and then just hook the harddisc up to the MediaGX?

Is this possible? If yes, how? I think I would need to somehow tell the installer that the target isnt really my desktop system but rather my SBC.

Of course, I want to run gentoo optimized for the biscuit pc.

Thanks in advance...
Marc
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Install Reply with quote

windchill wrote:
Hi there

I have a really slow Advantech SBC with a MediaGX CPU. I would like to install Gentoo on this system but it would take ages to compile and install gentoo on this thing.

Could I compile / install Gentoo on my desktop system and then just hook the harddisc up to the MediaGX?

Is this possible? If yes, how? I think I would need to somehow tell the installer that the target isnt really my desktop system but rather my SBC.

Of course, I want to run gentoo optimized for the biscuit pc.

Thanks in advance...
Marc

Sure you can do it. There is a file in gentoo's root called "README.maintainer" that tells ya how to do it. Basically, the easiest way I can say to do it is to follow the instructions on a working system but don't use the boot cd. when you use /mnt/gentoo and chroot over to it, your in a world of your own there for your SBC. Change the /etc/make.conf specifically for your SBC, do the installation and slap that puppy back into your SBC afterwards. Should do fine.

(NOTE: I have not done this, but I'm thinking about doing it for my laptop I have... pentium 120, 32mb ram, currently running Debian.)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cool, that was quick!

If I understand you correctly, I would basically add the target hd to my existing linux setup, partition the hd, mount the partitions under /mnt/gentoo and proceed with the normal installation guide (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/build.html) ? Right?

btw is there really an improvement in performance, so that you can feel it? Cause I want to build a home mp3 player out of the biscuit. It currently runs redhat 7.2 which isnt at all optimized for the sbc.

Marc
windchill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that was me again. Forgot to login...
:oops:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: