[SOLVED]Not recognizing free space for partitioning
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nothingsbirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]Not recognizing free space for partitioning Reply with quote

I'm trying to triple-boot a new machine. I created my initial partitions (one FreeBSD, one WinXP) with the Slackware 10 cfdisk because, frankly, I like its interface. Now, when I go to create partitions for Gentoo in my blank space, it doesn't recognize hda. It only gives me hdc (a 458M unwritable partition) and hdd (which is fails to open).

I have tried repartitioning with other cfdisk and fdisk versions. I attempted creating partitions to just format in Gentoo with each of them, but the problem still persists.

I only have one 122G Maxtor HD. Upon further investigation, hdc and hdd seem to actually be my DVD drives(the Gentoo install CD is the same size as hdc and my DVD-RW is empty). Could it be a kernel module that I need to load and don't know about, or something else entirely?

Last edited by nothingsbirth on Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are using SATA or RAID of some sort, I really don't see why you are having this problem. Have you tried using a Gentoo LiveCD yet? Is hda listed in /dev? What does it say if you do:
Code:
fdisk /dev/hda
nothingsbirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No SATA or RAID, just a straight IDE primary. I am using the Gentoo LiveCD. The only hard drives listed in /dev are hdc and hdd. When trying to fdisk or cfdisk hda, I simply get a message "unable to read /dev/hda."

I've found some information on hard drives being tucked away in a big /dev filepath in /dev/ide. I will try that when I get back to my computer, but if anyone else has experienced this problem, I would welcome a surefire solution or explanation of what's going on.
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure i follow here. /dev/hdc should be a disk, not a partition. are you by chance associating unused space with free space?

try this,
dmesg | grep Maxtor

does slackware use lvm or something? if so that might be an issue. not sure.
nothingsbirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake, I meant "disk." I dmesg'd Maxtor and it returns:

hda: Maxtor 6Y120P0 SERIAL ATA hard drive

But, I can't for the life of my find it. It certainly isn't in /dev unless there's some strange place it could be hiding that I don't know about.
micb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the output of the command

Code:

ls -l /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/

Because hda is a symlink to the file /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc directory (Kernel 2.6.7).

micb
nothingsbirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that fix already, the disc doesn't exist there either; all it contains is a cdrom.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with being recognized as SATA even though it's IDE.

I've now tried Slackware and Debian and they also have problems recognizing and/or mounting the drive. I did get a peculiar warning from Slack about a bad superblock every time the fdisk ran, but then it claimed to have repaired it. It may be having problems with my drive geometry, but I don't really see how that could cause these problems.
nothingsbirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have gotten to the heart of the matter:
There is no bus0 directory. There is only a bus1 directory, which is probably why linux is registering my DVD drives as hard drives and not recognizing any actual hard drives.

But now...how would I fix this?
nothingsbirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
mknod /dev/hda b 3 0

Solved the problem entirely. After that, it recognizes hda and its partitions easily.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: