Revive a depclean' ed gentoo system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henk Poley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Revive a depclean' ed gentoo system Reply with quote

I've learned the hard way some month ago that using 'emerge depclean' is bad, and now I'd like to revive my system. Things that are unmerged are /bin/ls for example, and other basic stuff, but most is still there. The system won't boot in this state, but I can use Knoppix to fudz around on the partition (it being an epia-800 system, so it won' t boot the Gentoo LiveCD).

[Edit] Following /usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/files/README.RESCUE is not enough, it doesn't contain the files needed in /bin...

If someone needs more info, for example the listing of /bin just ask:
Code:
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# ls /mnt/hda4/bin
arch     bzip2          fgrep       hostname  lsmod.old      pgawk-3.1.3  sash       uuidgen       zless
awk      bzip2recover   fuser       igawk     mbchk          pidof        sed        wall          zmore
bash     bzless         gawk        kill      mesg           ping         setfont    ypdomainname  znew
bunzip2  bzmore         gawk-3.1.3  killall   mktemp         ping6        setserial  zcat
bzcat    chattr         grep        last      more           ps           sh         zcmp
bzcmp    dmesg          groups      lastb     mount          pstree       su         zdiff
bzdiff   dnsdomainname  gunzip      loadkeys  nano           rc-status    tar        zegrep
bzegrep  domainname     gzcat       login     netstat        readlink     tempfile   zfgrep
bzfgrep  ed             gzexe       lsattr    nisdomainname  red          umount     zforce
bzgrep   egrep          gzip        lsmod     pgawk          run-parts    utmpdump   zgrep
SerfurJ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always verify the packages to be removed first. go to https://forums.gentoo.org/ and look up the reverse dependencies for each package if you're not sure what uses them.

try revdep-rebuild to get your system back.
Henk Poley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm sorry, but I got that message already :-) (and I'll now use 'dep', and not 'emerge depclean')

I was coming from a Debian system, and didn't expect the package management to just wipe system critical stuff without warning.

Anyways, I fixed it (I think):
- Moved my /etc to /etc.bak
- Got the latest x86 stage3
- untarred to /mnt/hda4 (my gentoo partition on this system), according to the Gentoo handbook.
- moved /etc back
- tried 'emerge sync' from a 'chroot /mnt/hda4' which failed with /dev/null acces errors.

Then I though "what the heck" and tried booting the system. It booted back into XFCE4 under X. I'm now running 'emerge sync' and I'll try to update my system. I don't expect to run into other troubles now.

[Edit] btw, revdep-rebuild won't work on a system without basic GNU utils.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: