Sharing files between windows and gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avd_1984
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Sharing files between windows and gentoo Reply with quote

I have windows xp which is ntfs system on two partitions on my drive and gentoo on the other three. Out of the three gentoo partitions, one is boot and one is swap. I want to share files between my root partiiton in gentoo and my windows partitions. Is there a way to do this from both gentoo and windows?

summary of partitions:

/dev/hda1 ntfs C:
/dev/hda2 W95 Ext'd
/dev/hda5 ntfs D:
/dev/hda6 ext3 boot
/dev/hda7 swap
/dev/hda8 reiserfs root

thanks
br0mGreV
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there are solutions, you can easlily mount the Windows partition from linux.

The issue here, is that the ntfs partitions are only accessible read-only. You must create a partition in FAT32 if you want to write linux files for use with windows. Can you express better your needs ;)
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.p-nand-q.com

Look for rfstool. It's a simple program, that combined with a GUI (links from above site) lets you read access Reiserfs partitions from Windows. I have it working from XP Home on my laptop, works great. No write support though, and none is forcasted. Too many strange things between Windows and Linux for that to work.
avd_1984
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks but I could not find a GUI. Also, where should I mount the windows partition to read it in linux? Especially from the windows manager. I use KDE.
thanks
br0mGreV
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the easiest way is still to use command line interface :
Code:
#first time only
mkdir /mnt/C
mkdir /mnt/D
#once per session, when you want for the first time to use windows files
#according to which hard drive you want to access
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/C
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda3 /mnt/D
#when you leave,
umount /mnt/C
umount /mnt/D

or even simplier, add the following lines in your /etc/fstab, but remember to create both directories in you /mnt.
file /etc/fstab wrote:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/C ntfs defaults,auto,ro,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda3 /mnt/D ntfs defaults,auto,ro,umask=0 0 0

check this faq for more info
tommyjs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Captive Reply with quote

The easiest thing to do is to setup an additional vfat (aka FAT32) partition which can be read from and written to by both linux and windows. You can also use Samba (or e.g. ftp) if you have (access to) a second computer (be it linux-run or windows-run; be it local or remote provided you have a fast internet connection).

HOWEVER
You can read-write :D mount ntfs volumes in linux using Captive which is a combination of Genuine microsoft ntfs driver,LUFS and a ReactOS (GPL-licenced clone-to-be of WinNT) kernel. Captive is slow but reliable and completely safe. Goto http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/. The ebuild is in the process of being developed, see https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32929 you can download a preliminary version of ebuild from https://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=32262&action=view

I dunno, but there might be a problem with the ebuild rightnow; here's a quote

Quote:
"In what sense is the ebuild wrong?

The lufs that is in portage does not have the necessary patches that the captive one does, therefore that's the only one that can be used at the moment.

------- Additional Comment #41 From Olivier Crete 2004-06-04 01:07 PST -------
the ebuild says it requires the "normal" lufs while captive really requires the patched one.."

On the other hand if yuo want linux filesystems read-write support in WindowsXP I suppose you could try CoLinux, see http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/colinux-howto.xml[/b]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: