Slow system after swithing hard drives
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L.U.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Slow system after swithing hard drives Reply with quote

I had two hard drives in my computer: 20G hda for windows, 60G hdb for gentoo. Today hdb started dying on me, so I fdisk'd hda to get rid of windows and partioned it for gentoo, then copied my root directory over to hda. (my boot directory on hdb was dead.) I reinstalled grub and had my gentoo system back.
However, things are running real slowly now. Xorg and gnome both take about 3 minutes to load, and once they load opening any other program takes anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes to load. (except for xterm which, after the first load on a any specific virutal desktop, will then load normally on that same desktop.)
So far I've re emerged nvidia-kernel and glx (glxgears runs out about 3000 fps, which is normal for me), verified dma was on, and made sure swap was working. I'm running gnome on a 1.6 pentium 4, with 512 ram.
kernel 2.6.7r12 Nothing in my kernel config has changed (though I did try recompiling my kernel)
At the moment I'm considering doing a
Code:
emerge --emptytree gnome
in case there's some xorg or gnome lib that's messed up. I've read through the various threads and at the moment have run out of other things to try. If anyone has advice on what to do or where to look, it would be much apreciated.

addendum: once a program loads, it seems to run normally.
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does
Code:
hdparm -tT /dev/hda

say ?

Since this drive is different form the one Gentoo was on before, are you sure the hdparm settings are the best possible ?

Note that if the 20GB drive is a 5400rpm 128K cache model (as is very likely; I have one myself) and the 60 GB was a 7200rpm 2MB cache model, the performance will be at least 30% less in any case - whatever you may or may not have done.

Extra tips for performance (at no extra charge!):
- put the swap partition FIRST - the first (outer) cylinders are the fastest on any drive
even better is to use a second drive for swap, doesn't really matter if that's fast or not since it is a different drive.
- /root second, still heavily used o'course
- /boot last, since you use that like wow, once a day on boot ? whoopdeedoo nevermind, it'll still be a gazillion times faster than booting from floppy...
L.U.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 20G hd is a maxtor 5TO2OH2 which is supposedly 7200, 2mb cache (though it did come from dell, so /shrug).
The output of hdparm -tT:
Code:
/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   744 MB in  2.01 seconds = 370.57 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  104 MB in  3.06 seconds =  33.98 MB/sec

which seems acceptable to me.

Thanks for the tips btw, I'll remeber them for the next time I partion a disk.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you copied the files across from one directory to the other, how, precisely, did you do this?
L.U.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
find . -print | cpio -pamd /mnt/gentoo/new

adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ow... that hurts !

man cp, just use

Code:
cp -x /old/dir/* /new/dir

L.U.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

er? what'd I do? *looks worried*
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L.U. wrote:
Code:
find . -print | cpio -pamd /mnt/gentoo/new

Never used cpio myself, I tend to stick to tar-ing a filesystem up (after a good read of man tar), and then extracting the tarball onto the new filesystem. It's always worked for me (apart from the last time which was down to some udev silliness and easily fixed, but I digress).

Just wondering if there are symlink/file permission issues here.

Your plan to re-emerge gnome with emptytree might work, although you might just be better biting the bullet and doing your whole system e.g. emerge -e world.
L.U.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullet bitten, or rather, I'm emerging empty tree world at the moment. (139 of 330, 12 hours after I started..weee). I was wondering, agent_jdh, about the symlink/permission thing. Wouldn't that just be a work/no work situation? And wouldn't I be getting some kind of error messages? (checked system, xorg logs..nothing of interest)
At anyrate, I wanted to thank ya'll for the input. I'll edit this post with the results (once I get them) for the sake of completeness. (sp?).
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I had second thoughts about that myself after I posted it, you may have a point, but it's possible something deep in your darkest filesystem with the wrong permissions or a duff symlink might cause odd problems.

Incidentally, do you subscribe to the weekly newsletter (link also on the gentoo homepage) - there's a perl tip in the latest one and a link to a thread where some say it cures 'odd' performance problems. Might be completely unrelated to your problem, but as GWN just arrived it made me think of this thread.
L.U.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as a general follow up:
Finished emerging last night, checked it out this morning and it seems to have worked. At least, I'm not having the significantly larger load times that I was having before. There does still seem to be some residual lagginess, but that could quite possibly just be my imagination. I'll proably try out the pearl rebuilding tip though, just for kicks. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: