Collective UT2004 Performance Tips
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badpenguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Collective UT2004 Performance Tips Reply with quote

Hey guys, just though I wouldu start a thread where users could post other threats/links to UT2004 Game Fixes, or performance upgrades so people looking have a good refrence before they ask questions. So please post them here, thanks.
DFI Lan Party
ATI Radeon 9500@9700 Pro
120Gb WD 7200 RPM Drive
Custom Watercooling System - Pics Soon
sobers_2002
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AMD XP-M 2400+ @ 2761 Ghz
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

d u really have that processor :twisted: :twisted:
Mekoryuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard disabling audio in ut2k4 gives the biggest performance boost of all. :D Undesirable for most people, but strangely enough I find that I actually play better with the sound off (and not just because of higher framerates either). I think it just helps me focus better without the explosions and such.

Aside from that, you can increase the size of the game's cache from a default of 64MB up to 128MB, which will keep it from grinding the hard drive. You can set it higher, but I've heard it doesn't really help much beyond that. You can set this in the ./ut2004/System/UT2004.ini config file, under GameEngineSettings for CacheSizeMegs, if I recall correctly.

I've noticed that (at least under the Linux version) changing the texture detail settings for the world and players really doesn't have any noticeable impact on performance at all, positive or negative. Even though I have a puny Athlon 800MHz with a GeForce4MX 440, I can set texture settings to the highest quality and it doesn't make a sniff of difference, at least to me. Strange, huh? Does anyone else experience this?

Number of polys does have an impact, so turning off weather effects, foliage, etc., will help out quite a bit. Also set your gun to hidden to kill a few more polys.
badpenguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, ya I do, its overclocked, of corse tho. I built myself a custom water cooling station... I have my pc, and then I have a seccond "PC" on the floor with a radiator, water pump and fans, that pumps water up to my actual pc. :), I idle at about 34c and 38 100% load for 10 min
DFI Lan Party
ATI Radeon 9500@9700 Pro
120Gb WD 7200 RPM Drive
Custom Watercooling System - Pics Soon
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mekoryuk wrote:
I've heard disabling audio in ut2k4 gives the biggest performance boost of all. :D Undesirable for most people, but strangely enough I find that I actually play better with the sound off (and not just because of higher framerates either). I think it just helps me focus better without the explosions and such.
Yeah, the audio in UT2004 sucks a lot of CPU. However there is a good fix, use the Hardware Accelerated OpenAL. You need to own an EMU10K1-based card (Sound Blaster Live, Audigy) and use ALSA.

I've taken benchmarks, it's very close the the speed with audio off. (And sounds better, 5.1 and 7.1 surround is possible and very nice.)

Something else to do is increase VARSize in the UT2004.ini to 64 or 96. It'll keep huge maps like Mothership from falling back to (slower with current drivers) ARB_vertex_buffer_object.
Mekoryuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However there is a good fix, use the Hardware Accelerated OpenAL. You need to own an EMU10K1-based card (Sound Blaster Live, Audigy) and use ALSA.

I've tried it before, but it killed the support for my mic, and I couldn't figure out how to patch it so the mic could work again. :(
Nephren-Ka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my UT2004 linux performance tips:

First of all, for those of you with ATI cards, use the 3.2.8-r2 binary drivers. Reason why?
[code]
timedemo - UTBench @1280x1024, no AA no AF:

3.2.8-r2 - 33.4FPS
3.9.0 - 19.5FPS
3.11 - 24.45FPS

It's no comparison really. Plus, the new 3.11's cause hard lockups and such for me...still a no-go.

As for the hw accelerated openal, I have an audigy and i've tried them but there were 2 problems for me:

1) positional audio is whacked, as in it's not a smooth transition from left/right channels. It's either left, right, or off, no "middle" channel for me (i have 2 speakers/headsets). This is not the case with the stock openal, which works perfectly in this regard.
2) it causes random lockups for me.

I should also mention, it doesnt speed things up for me at all, I got 32.5FPS in the timedemo with 3.2.8-r2 drivers using it.
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mekoryuk wrote:
I've tried it before, but it killed the support for my mic, and I couldn't figure out how to patch it so the mic could work again. :(
Yeah, the author says it doesn't implement the capture extension yet. :(
rcxAsh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this applies to the full version of UT2004, but it works great for the demo version. If it does work, I'm surprised no one has posted this tip yet:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=137730&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

The main tip there being, quote:
Quote:
replacing ut2004's stock openal.so and libSDL with gentoo compiled ones
At least for the demo of the game, before replacing the stock binaries with my own compiled ones, ut2004demo was unplayable on my computer (800MHz Celeron, GeForce 4 MX440). But after doing it, I could play with acceptable results.
shadesfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have done is use renice to change the niceness of ut2004. Oddly enough, on my system renicing ut2004-bin to 19 helps a lot, while renicing to -19 hurts. Seems kind of backwards to me, but maybe it is because of a few of my screwy kernel patches. I'll have to sort that out latter.
Illissius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to see the actual FPS, a la FRAPS in windows?
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
stat fps

in console?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: