View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranmakun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there will be an RC3?, I still see a lot of problems in this version that are here since beta2.
The most anoying being kget that sometimes starts and sometimes doesn't when started by konqueror. Now it crashed in the middle of a download and it will refuse to start again.
There is also the problem of alsamixer loosing it's levels when starting KDE.
And some others that aren't that anoying but need to be solved.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:

-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ffast-math
wrc1944

My cflags are the same except for the -frefetch-loop-arrays and -ffast-math, both of those I don't have in my setup.

Are you sync'd up to date and your ebuilds current because there's minor changes to the kde ebuilds sometimes that don't get a revision number. What processor do you have? Your compile time for kdelibs seemed a little excessive for an athlon-xp. Unsermake?

Just trying to figure out what this was for sure is all, good to know for future reference.
teutzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy to hear that finnaly you made it.
btw my kde is compiled with gcc-3.4.1-r2 using:
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-tbird -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -ffast-math -fforce-addr -fprefetch-loop-arrays -falign-functions=64"
and
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-tbird -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -ffast-math -fforce-addr -fprefetch-loop-arrays -falign-functions=64 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

so i doubt that your problem is a cflags problem
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranmakun wrote:
Does anyone know if there will be an RC3?

Apparently there won't be. 3.3.0 release should be upon us any moment. Some distros (Debian and SuSE) seem to already be pushing release packages...
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debian seems to already have the source package for kdebase-3.3.0

you can download it at: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/kdebase
ranmakun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
ranmakun wrote:
Does anyone know if there will be an RC3?

Apparently there won't be. 3.3.0 release should be upon us any moment. Some distros (Debian and SuSE) seem to already be pushing release packages...

Well, that´s bad really, I´ve had more problems than benefits from the new features really.
I´ve been using the betas and rc´s specially because I wanted to help the project by filling bug reports, but none of them where answered/fixed. Now you say it will be relased in this state,I feel disapointed. I don´t think it´s ready for relase, does anyone feel the same?
I think I will downgrade to 3.2.3 and wait for 3.3.1, unfortunatelly I erased my .kde3.2 folder, I wonder if I can just copy my .kde3.3 folder over .kde3.2 one.
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory final should be what they've been working on, rather than rc2. At least they ignored your bugs and didn't slam them closed -Invalid- as with mine. I've stopped helping here because of a few developers' attitude.

This month's update world has been a bug-infested nightmare. I can't afford tending Gentoo with 50% of my time over two weeks nursing an update. Now when we emerge sync, there's a threat that we'll be banned if we do it too often... well there's a reason ppl are doing it often -- for example this rotten gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8 & -2.6.8-r1.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranmakun wrote:

Well, that´s bad really, I´ve had more problems than benefits from the new features really.....
...... Now you say it will be relased in this state,I feel disapointed. I don´t think it´s ready for relase, does anyone feel the same?

I think I will downgrade to 3.2.3 and wait for 3.3.1, unfortunatelly I erased my .kde3.2 folder, I wonder if I can just copy my .kde3.3 folder over .kde3.2 one.

What are the big problems you are having? If you post the links to the bugs here we might be able to help.

I don't think he's saying 3.3.0 will be released in the state that RC1 is. Just because there isn't an acceptable RC doesn't mean they won't go ahead with the final release if they have addressed any of the problem issues. The KDE development is flying along really fast so if there are lots of issues then we'll see a 3.3.1 really soon. I've had some crashes with the rc's and betas but nothing I felt was enough to warrant delaying any releases and it wasn't any more than I experienced with 3.2 either.

I'm pretty sure your 3.3 folder isn't going to work with 3.2. Have you tried 3.3 after removing all your .kde directories and starting from defaults? It could be some settings that carried over causing problems for you. With Knotes I have them all listed twice in the menu but there's actually only one note and not two. I'm sure there's some other little things too but I don't have anything that seems to be causing me trouble.
eeknay
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, do i need to emerge every packet one-by-one?

I noticed that emerging the 3.3.0-rc2 does not update my recent kde-version, is there something else that needs to be done after all the emerging is done?

eeknay.
ranmakun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:

What are the big problems you are having? If you post the links to the bugs here we might be able to help.

The alsamixer bug I´ve found:
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=84482
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=69320

Kget seems to be resolved, I hope so...
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81835

Here is one I reported, not critical but it worked fine before:
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86445

Other one about a kwin option "Allow moving and resizing of maximized windows":
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=87449

And here they are saying that optin doesn´t exist anymore, but I don´t understand why. And if the option is there it should work:
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86847

The alsamixer one is the most critical one for me, kget too but it seems solved.
I´ve reported a few more with another account I got, they were closed and can´t find them, I will try later.

EDIT: anpther problem are previews not working fine, I have a directory where I have various files, some of them are jpegs, some are previewed and some of them are shown as icons. All of them are small in size (~50kb, maximum allowed for preview 1mb)

Last edited by ranmakun on Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ranmakun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeknay wrote:
so, do i need to emerge every packet one-by-one?

I noticed that emerging the 3.3.0-rc2 does not update my recent kde-version, is there something else that needs to be done after all the emerging is done?

eeknay.

Yes, you have to emerge one by one. Once it´s done you can unmerge the previows kde or have the two of them instaled and login to either one or the other.
eeknay
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k, sound quite good. how do i manage the login with two verions installed?
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto & teutzz,
Here's some of my info. I wasn't using unsermake, but the libs compile time was only about 1 hour- I must have been thinking of the compile times on my other Duron test box. I synced right before I started 3.3.0_rc2, on the 15th, and did a system update first. Then when I ran into problems, I synced again early on the 17th, so I must be pretty current.I think you're right about the cflags not being the problem- and it was adding the DO_NOT_COMPILE="arts krec noatun" when doing multimedia that really did the trick.

mymachine wrc # emerge --info
Portage 2.0.50-r9 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.4, glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r0, 2.6.8-rc4-ck2)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.8-rc4-ck2 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
Gentoo Base System version 1.5.2
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r4
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ffast-math"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also submitted a bug report to bugs.kde. org (87385), and just got 2 emails back- haven't had time to figure them out yet. I guess they mean you should patch the makefile, or that it's already done in the kdemultimedia tar? I'm not sure which they mean. Here's what they said:

No. one:
------- Additional Comments From coolo kde org 2004-08-18 07:51 -------
You forgot the fact that you're building with parallel make? There are indeed some dependencies missing for that
-------------------------------------------------------------------
No. two:
------- Additional Comments From coolo kde org 2004-08-18 07:52 -------
CVS commit by coolo:

fixing parallel make
CCMAIL: 87385-done bugs kde org

M +1 -0 common/Makefile.am 1.8
M +1 -0 synth/Makefile.am 1.9

--- kdemultimedia/arts/modules/common/Makefile.am #1.7:1.8
@ -20,4 +20,5 @
env_instrumentitem_impl.cc env_item_impl.cc \
env_mixeritem_impl.cc
+libartsmodulescommon_la_COMPILE_FIRST = artsmodulescommon.h

libartsmodulescommon_la_LIBADD = \

--- kdemultimedia/arts/modules/synth/Makefile.am #1.8:1.9
@ -26,4 +26,5 @
synth_midi_test_impl.cc synth_sequence_impl.cc synth_sequence_freq_impl.cc \
synth_midi_debug_impl.cc objectcache_impl.cc synth_nil_impl.cc synth_debug_impl.cc synth_data_impl.cc
+libartsmodulessynth_la_COMPILE_FIRST = artsmodulessynth.h

libartsmodulessynth_la_LIBADD = \
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess your parallels were out of order so part of what was needed by something else didn't get built first. I didn't run into this problem but I have "MAKEOPTS="-j2"" so maybe I wasn't building with as many parallels as you. I didn't see this in your emerge info but I didn't see a lot of things in your emerge info so you must of edited some out??

Code:

# emerge info
Portage 2.0.51_pre20 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.4, glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r0, 2.6.8 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+)
System uname: 2.6.8 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
distcc 2.16 i686-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632) [disabled]
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
Binutils: sys-devel/binutils-2.14.90.0.8-r1
Headers:  sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.7-r4
Libtools: sys-devel/libtool-1.5.2-r5
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/share/config:/usr/kde/3.3/env:/usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs ccache sandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow X acpi aim alsa apm arts artswrappersuid audiofile avi berkdb bonobocdparanoia cdr cjk crypt cups curl dga divx4linux dv dvd dvdr emacs emacs-w3 encode esd fastcgi flac flash foomaticdb gd gdbm ggi gif gphoto2 gpm gps gstreamergtk gtk2 gtkhtml icq imagemagick imap imlib jabber java joystick jpeg kde lcms libg++ libgda libwww mad mikmod mmx motif mozilla mpeg msn ncurses nls nptl offensive oggvorbis opengl oscar oss pam pdflib perl png ppds python qt quicktime readline samba scanner sdl slang slp smime snmp speex spell sse ssl svg svga tcltktcpd theora tiff truetype tscd unicode usb videos wmf wxwindows x86 xine xinerama xml xml2 xmms xv xvid yahoo zlib"
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes- I just edited out some to save space- only posted what I thought was relevant- sorry. Here's the rest. Does this mean -j2 needs to be changed when compiling kde? Since apparently coolo committed the fix to CVS, does this mean a newly downloaded kdemultimedia tar.bz2 won't have this bug? 3.3.0_rc2 is running great so far.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMPILER="gcc3"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/share/config:/usr/kde/3.3/env:/usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ffast-math"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow X aalib alsa apm arts avi berkdb cdr crypt cups encode esd foomaticdb gaim gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib jack java jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod mmx motif mozilla mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png ppds python qt quicktime readline sdl slang spell ssl svga tcltk tcpd truetype x86 xml2 xmms xv zlib"
teutzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had some of wrc1944's emerge problems; btw happy i could help
and btw is my emerge info:
Code:
Portage 2.0.50-r9 (gcc34-x86-2004.2, gcc-3.4.1, glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r0, 2.6.8-nitro1)
System uname: 2.6.8-nitro1 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-tbird -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -ffast-math -fforce-addr -fprefetch-loop-arrays -falign-functions=64"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/share/config:/usr/kde/3.3/env:/usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-tbird -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -ffast-math -fforce-addr -fprefetch-loop-arrays -falign-functions=64 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/home/teutz/Documents/sys/linux/sys/Gentoo/distfiles"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/pub/mirrors/gentoo.org http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/pub/mirrors/gentoo.org http://ftp.lug.ro/gentoo ftp://ftp.lug.ro/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/bmg-main /usr/local/overlays/bmg-main.alternative"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow X alsa apache2 arts avi cddb cdparanoia chroot cups dga directfb divx4linux dnd encode esd faac faad fbcon flac fmod gif gphoto2 gpm gtk gtk2 gtkhtml imlib imlib2 java jikes jpeg kde ldap libwww live mad mmx motif mpeg mpeg4 mpi mplayer mysql ncurses nls nptl ntlm oggvorbis ooo-kde opengl oss pam pdflib perl pic png python qt quicktime samba sdl spell sqlite ssl svga tcpd tiff transparent-proxy truetype usb wxwindows x86 xine xml xml2 xmms zlib"

thumper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranmakun wrote:

Yes, you have to emerge one by one. Once it´s done you can unmerge the previows kde or have the two of them instaled and login to either one or the other.

Would not copying the kde-3.2.3.ebuild to kde-3.3.0_rc2.ebuild and making the one small required edit to slot= be easier?

Like this:
Code:
cat /usr/portage/kde-base/kde/kde-3.3.0_rc2.ebuild
# Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/kde-base/kde/kde-3.2.3.ebuild,v 1.10 2004/08/12 19:36:56 pvdabeel Exp $

DESCRIPTION="KDE 3.3 - merge this to pull in all non-developer kde-base/* packages"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.kde.org/"

LICENSE="GPL-2"
SLOT="3.3"
KEYWORDS="x86 ppc amd64 sparc hppa"
IUSE=""

# removed: kdebindings, kdesdk, kdoc since these are developer-only packages
RDEPEND="~kde-base/kdelibs-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdebase-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdeaddons-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdeadmin-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdeartwork-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdeedu-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdegames-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdegraphics-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdemultimedia-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdenetwork-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdepim-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdenetwork-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdetoys-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdeutils-${PV}
        ~kde-base/kdeaccessibility-${PV}"

George
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944-
I thought maybe you had something greater than "-j2" which was making more parallel builds than I had but you have the same so I guess the reason for the problem popping up is still a mystery. It could be that when it's building it looks in the build area and if the files it needs aren't there then it looks in the install directory. If that's the case then since you didn't have any previous 3.3 versions installed and this could be a bug in the recent builds, it would explain why some don't see this problem. This is just a wild guess by me since I don't really know if the compile process works this way.

You'll have to wait for the next release to see those fixes from the bug, once a version is released it doesn't get changed. If this was a final release version then most likely Caleb would include a patch with the ebuild.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto,
Since you had no problems like I did, could you please look in your /usr/kde/3.3/lib directory, and see if you have any libartsgui files?

In /usr/kde/3.2/lib, I have 12 such files.

Not that I need arts for anything- my alsa sound and kplayer are working fine. I'm still curious as to why I had this problem, and others compiling 3.3.0_rc2 didn't. If you don't have those files, and didn't have any compile failures with kdemultimedia, that is really weird, since we used the same -j2 makeopts, and kde.org says the problem was rc2 and parallel make.

Thanks for all your input,
wrc1944
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of libartsgui* there.
Code:

# cat /usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartsgui
libartsgui.la            libartsgui_idl.la        libartsgui_kde.la
libartsgui.so            libartsgui_idl.so        libartsgui_kde.so
libartsgui.so.0          libartsgui_idl.so.0      libartsgui_kde.so.0
libartsgui.so.0.0.0      libartsgui_idl.so.0.0.0  libartsgui_kde.so.0.0.0
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: gpg-agent Reply with quote

Ok I have gpg-agent set to start when kde starts up and it seems to work fine but if I log out then log back into kde I get another instance of gpg-agent running.

I'm using a scripit, ~/.kde/env/gpgagent.sh, from the instructions here.

Code:

eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"

I'm just wondering what needs to be done so it isn't started multiple times.
eeknay
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can somebody help me to interpret the following?
Code:
: undefined reference to `glPopMatrix'
Euphoria.o(.text+0x2846): In function `EuphoriaWidget::resizeGL(int, int)':
: undefined reference to `glTranslatef'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [keuphoria.kss] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdeartwork-3.3.0_rc2/work/kdeartwork-3.3.0/kscreensaver/kdesavers'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdeartwork-3.3.0_rc2/work/kdeartwork-3.3.0/kscreensaver/kdesavers'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdeartwork-3.3.0_rc2/work/kdeartwork-3.3.0/kscreensaver'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdeartwork-3.3.0_rc2/work/kdeartwork-3.3.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdeartwork-3.3.0_rc2 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 130, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks firephoto,
I didn't get those files, even when originally I didn't use:

DO_NOT_COMPILE="arts"

I hope 3.3.0 final release multimedia now works, now that it's out. Time for yet another marathon emerge -f kde dialup session!

Just read Caleb say arts is no longer required to compile kde- fantastic! guess I'll try that.

wrc1944
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: