Cutting Edge Install!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ap_andy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Cutting Edge Install! Reply with quote

I want to go for a fairly cutting edge install - I'm not quite up to testing GCC 3.4 but I'd like to make sure that I have the folloing installed as part of the installation process. (Note I have installed Gentoo before but its been a while since i last broke it ;-) )

I would like some advice on, during the installation process, getting the following to work:

Reiserfs v4 - Its not production - I will be doing very little but reading and writing files, however it would be good to use this VERY fast files system.
This is the tricky one as far as I can tell. Seems to me that the boot kernel must support it. I have the gentoo 2004.2 install cd but I probably will need to use a different kernel for this?

Latest MM-Sources - I always have installed this at startup - instead of the default kernel Gentoo Kernel. But for I've completely forgotten how.

NPTL - Does Gentoo come with this as standard? How to get it as part of the installation process?

UDev - what actually won't work if I switch off devfs and use udev? How do I do that?

Latest stable GTK, GLib, Gnome etc. (depending upon other results with the development releases of all these components).

Anyway - basically I'm looking for a system that will be really responsive! Any advice on this one will help me massively! I have looked through the forums for advice on this but to me a lot of the threads seem to be talking about problems with the above rather than installation info! If it really is as simple as emerge udev etc. wow cudos to the gentoo people!

Thanks for everyones help!
ap_andy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Okay! Looks like I'll have to put some effort in! Reply with quote

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_2004.2_for_linux_2.6_and_NPTL
Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiser4: Use a kernel such as love-sources (based on mm-sources) or nitro-sources (my fave, based on ck-sources; VERY low-latency and responsive with NPTL.). Neither of these are available in portage; search the forums for ebuilds and instructions. And I don't know if 2004.2 has reiser4 support, but if it doesn't, search the forums for one too; I know I saw one around.

mm-sources: no reiser4 support. See above.

NPTL: Just add 'nptl' to your USE, iirc.

udev: In my experience, udev fixed problems that devfs had, and caused none. Just emerge udev, then fiddle with the settings in /etc/conf.d/rc (I disable the device tarball option; it makes /dev a whole lot neater).

HTH.
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

note that the NPTL guide may not work -- it sure didn't work for me. you may need to go with glibc2.3.4 instead of 2.3.3. binutils 2.15 has issues with xorg, so make sure to leave it out (it is 2.13 or 2.14 by default). probably a bug from the linux-headers-2.6 to linux26-headers-2.6 name change...

using gcc34 is easy, the hard part is getting gcc3.4

don't bootstrap with gcc3.4, wait until after and then emerge it and gcc-config. from here you can switch between the 2 by:
1.) edit cflags, removing any gcc33 or 34 specific one like -fweb, -mtune (3.4 only), -mcpu (3.3) only.
2.) gcc-config -l
3.) gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-3.4.1
4.) source /etc/profile

and you can switch freely between gcc3.4 and 3.3
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: