View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Converting to Gnome... Help please! Reply with quote

Having just purchased a new laptop I now have processing grunt and screen real estate to waist, adding a desktop to the window manager seemed a good a way as any to resolve this :) Reading an article somewhere the simplified Gnome interface appealed to me.

I'm coming from an openbox3 + Rox configuration and there are a few things I'd like to configure the same (or similar):

1) Right button root window menu, can this be configured in Gnome as it can in Openbox? I have tried setting my window manager in Gnome to be Openbox but the root window actions aren't passed through, with Rox this was possible.

2) Single click on desktop icon to run them

3) .Xdefaults, .xsession and .xinitrc, non of these seem to have any effect when I use the gdm as the display manager, so I have resorted back to xdm running gnome-sesion from my .xsession, but even this ignores my .Xdefaults so I have to load it explicitly.

Any pointer to help me stay gnomified would be appreciated, I really like the clean look and feel of gnome and want to stay with it.

MarkG
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting to Gnome... Help please! Reply with quote

MarkG wrote:
1) Right button root window menu, can this be configured in Gnome as it can in Openbox? I have tried setting my window manager in Gnome to be Openbox but the root window actions aren't passed through, with Rox this was possible.

You were successfully able to specify Openbox as your window manager by setting the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable in your startup script, but right clicks on root weren't passed through?

Hmmm, I've never had that problem, but you can try fiddling in the Nautilus settings in gconf-editor "Apps->Nautilus->Preferences", specifically the "show_desktop" toggle". Of course, deactivating this would eliminate desktop icons altogether. Perhaps there's a way to customize the root menu through the Nautilus preferences GUI ...

Quote:

"click_policy" in the same location as above, but this option is available through the Nautilus preferences GUI as well.

Quote:
3) .Xdefaults, .xsession and .xinitrc, non of these seem to have any effect when I use the gdm as the display manager, so I have resorted back to xdm running gnome-sesion from my .xsession, but even this ignores my .Xdefaults so I have to load it explicitly.

The startup script, /etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession, is looking for ~/.Xresources, not ~/.Xdefaults. (The difference between the two is a tedious tale with which you might already be familiar.)
beesea
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Converting to Gnome... Help please! Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
(The difference between the two is a tedious tale with which you might already be familiar.)

Sorry to go OT, but I'm not familiar with the difference. Can you please explain?
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Converting to Gnome... Help please! Reply with quote

beesea wrote:
Hypnos wrote:
(The difference between the two is a tedious tale with which you might already be familiar.)

Sorry to go OT, but I'm not familiar with the difference. Can you please explain?

~/.Xresources is conventionally loaded by the system startup scripts when you fire up X. This is what Gentoo does, and most sane distributions.

~/.Xdefaults, on the other hand, is read by any X application when it starts up and will incorporate any valid resource settings defined there.

Very few apps other than those bundled with X or those using the Motif graphical toolkit seem to have resources defined -- GNOME apps use the XML-based GConf system, for example. So, generally, forget about ~/.Xdefaults, and put settings for your X server in ~/.Xresources.

My ~/.Xresources just sets my cursor:

Code:
Xcursor.theme: redglass
Xcursor.size: 15

MarkG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting to Gnome... Help please! Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
MarkG wrote:

You were successfully able to specify Openbox as your window manager by setting the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable in your startup script, but right clicks on root weren't passed through?
I didn't manage to get the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable to work but set it to Openbox using
Code:
% openbox –replace
which seems to work an stays set. I hane no idea how to revert back to the default window manager short of deleted the file ~/.gonme2/session, which seems a bit drastic.

Hypnos wrote:
Hmmm, I've never had that problem, but you can try fiddling in the Nautilus settings in gconf-editor "Apps->Nautilus->Preferences", specifically the "show_desktop" toggle". Of course, deactivating this would eliminate desktop icons altogether.

Desktop Icons have temporarily become a casualty of my battle with Gnome, thanks for the tip menus are more important than icons.

Hypnos wrote:

Quote:

"click_policy" in the same location as above, but this option is available through the Nautilus preferences GUI as well.
Thanks for that, but its a little immaterial now my icons have gone!

Thanks for the help

MarkG
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how this applies to OpenBox, but this is how the root window menu issue is handled in fvwm:

http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0301/msg00018.html

Nautilus (and similar applications) use a special window property _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP; if your windowmanager identifies this context, you can attach menus to it, overriding the Nautilus default.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: