Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vers_iq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
vers_iq wrote:
still something need to be done with java, all jre/jsdk binaries available from portage wont work, unless gcc used to compile phoenix is 2.95.3. and yes if anyone using their own java and using dynamix motif (lesstiff) LD_PRELOAD-/usr/lib/libXm.so need to be add in /usr/bin/phoenix or java will crash when opening template.

This last LD_PRELOAD wasn't very clear to me... Ok, I use lesstif too, but just exactly where should I add what?

This only apply if u compile jsdk without using j2sdk-1_4_0-motif-linux-i386.zip (static motif) from sun website, means u compile it against lestiff or openmotif (might not work). All you have to do is add
Code:
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libXm.so
(lesstif) at the begining of phoenix bash script or
Code:
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so
(opnmotif)

btw this also need to be done to mozilla too.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, so the /bin phoenix entry is just a shell wrapper and I have to add the string (I don't use the sun java at all - blackdown instead)
Now here come the laughs: I got both motif and lesstif (probably due to some dependancy requiring lesstif). Beh, I'll try each one in turn and see what happens!
:wink:

Thanks for the explaination!
vers_iq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
All right, so the /bin phoenix entry is just a shell wrapper and I have to add the string (I don't use the sun java at all - blackdown instead)

i guess i didnt explain it clearly. :) this step only need to be done if someone using their own compiled jre/jdk and it is compiled against lesstif or openmotif. Any binary from portage wont work ans this step is not required except gcc-2.95.3 is used.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhhhh
all right! (I guess I'm getting sleepy here)
right now I'm downloading the moz sources (damn! 31 MB???)
bonto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: WOO! Reply with quote

just wanted to say i finally got everything succesfully done (i think). IT's awesome, lickable. :D
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get it to compile with GTK2, but GTK seems ok. Have to test it more thoroughly though. Thanks for the tip. It's possible to change the GTK skin is it? The default GTK look is just ugly..
vers_iq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freak_NL wrote:
I couldn't get it to compile with GTK2, but GTK seems ok. Have to test it more thoroughly though. Thanks for the tip. It's possible to change the GTK skin is it? The default GTK look is just ugly..

The toolkit will use your gtk theme, so if u have an ugly theme :) it will have an ugly look, :)
narensankar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a tip for people on Pentium4 - If you are running 1.4rc1 and gcc3.2
make sure you use the -march=pentium3 flag instead of pentium4. Gcc dies with an error if you use the pentium4 flag. This is because of an inablity to find a register to allocate.
Parabola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vers_iq wrote:
just a derivation from nempo's ebuild, a bit more flexible i hope,

vers_iq, you should add "pkgconfig" as a dependency. :)

Edit:

Your ebuild didn't work for me. :(

Code:

make[5]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/phoenix-latest-0.4/work/mozilla/nsprpub/pr/include/md'
../../../config/./nsinstall -R -m 444 ./ /var/tmp/portage/phoenix-latest-0.4/work/mozilla/dist/include/nspr
../../../config/./nsinstall: cannot make symbolic link /var/tmp/portage/phoenix-latest-0.4/work/mozilla/dist/include/nspr/.: File exists
make[5]: *** [export] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/phoenix-latest-0.4/work/mozilla/nsprpub/pr/include/md'
make[4]: *** [export] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/phoenix-latest-0.4/work/mozilla/nsprpub/pr/include'
make[3]: *** [export] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/phoenix-latest-0.4/work/mozilla/nsprpub/pr'
make[2]: *** [export] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/phoenix-latest-0.4/work/mozilla/nsprpub'
make[1]: *** [nspr] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/phoenix-latest-0.4/work/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 188, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parabola wrote:

Code:

make[5]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/phoenix-latest-0.4/work/mozilla/nsprpub/pr/include/md'
../../../config/./nsinstall -R -m 444 ./ /var/tmp/portage/phoenix-latest-0.4/work/mozilla/dist/include/nspr
../../../config/./nsinstall: cannot make symbolic link /var/tmp/portage/phoenix-latest-0.4/work/mozilla/dist/include/nspr/.: File exists

I have the exact same problem. Could this be an error simply related to the possibility that the mozilla trunk is currently unbuildable?
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works for me =) Did you try building it with gtk1 ?
JeroenV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

IT ROCKS :!:

BUT...

indeed I'm surprised that the second ebuild worked "out of the box" for some.
I had the same problem as Parabola and dreamer3, but the solution is as simple as hard to find :)

solution:
get rid of the newline at the end of the myconf declaration:
Code:
     --disable-ldap \ "

should be
Code:
     --disable-ldap"

That's it, enjoy :!:

For those interested: this bug results in a bogus argument on the ./configure commandline that is apparently interpreted as if it were --host=\ or something like that. This results in an empty makefile var for an architecture-dependent directory name, hence the ln-problem...

Cheers 8)
May The Source be with you!
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeroenV wrote:
I had the same problem as Parabola and dreamer3, but the solution is as simple as hard to find :)

You beat me to posting about it! :-) Compiling now, I'm also creating an ebuild (trivial change to the 0.4 binary ebuild) for the nightly binary of 0.4. I wonder if the speed up people are seeing is really from compiling it outselves or just speed increases in the trunk slated for Phoenix 0.5 (that would be available in the 0.4 nightly without compiling)?

Just a thought.

EDIT: Nope, the nightly 0.4 binary is no faster than the release 0.4 binary. I have my fingers crossed that the compiled phoenix will fly. I have a P3 733 w/768mb. I expect browsing to be faster and launch faster than they do under linux. I know IE has an advantage in Windows, but that's what I'd like to see under Linux somehow.

Last edited by dreamer3 on Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
vers_iq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamer3 wrote:
Parabola wrote:

Code:

I have the exact same problem. Could this be an error simply related to the possibility that the mozilla trunk is currently unbuildable?

Oh man i never tested that ebuild :). i just use nempo's and made some changes, hopefully someone can volunteer test it. try not to use this ebuild untill somebody confirm it does work, use the steps from my first post. btw, today i tried to re-compile phoenix since 0.5 is already out, but it failed anyone else experience this?.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea how to get phoenix to launch without opening a window, or hidden somehow so you coudln't see it?

If one could launch phoenix this way when X starts and then subsequent launch attemps would just use the mozilla message-server thingy to issue commands to the running process we'd be getting close to IE launch speeds. This is really pre-loading. Works if I launch phoenix and move it to a desktop that I don't use :-) but it would be nice to make it "disappear" but still be there.

Still waiting for my freshly compiled phoenix... :(

Last edited by dreamer3 on Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
vers_iq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeroenV wrote:
Hi there,

IT ROCKS :!:

BUT...

indeed I'm surprised that the second ebuild worked "out of the box" for some.

solution:
get rid of the newline at the end of the myconf declaration:
Code:
     --disable-ldap \ "

should be
Code:
     --disable-ldap"

That's it, enjoy :!:

For those interested: this bug results in a bogus argument on the ./configure commandline that is apparently interpreted as if it were --host=\ or something like that. This results in an empty makefile var for an architecture-dependent directory name, hence the ln-problem...

Cheers 8)

Thank you JeroenV for pointing that out. that is what happen when you do copy/cut/paste :D
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamer3 wrote:
JeroenV wrote:

EDIT: Nope, the nightly 0.4 binary is no faster than the release 0.4 binary. I have my fingers crossed that the compiled phoenix will fly. I have a P3 733 w/768mb. I expect browsing to be faster and launch faster than they do under linux. I know IE has an advantage in Windows, but that's what I'd like to see under Linux somehow.

Hmmmm.. I see this all the time. I just wonder why it has to be faster to start? Please help me understand this.

I run Phoenix 0.4, but I never exit from the browser, so as far as I'm concerned, it can take 10 minutes to load for all I care :) Honestly, if you really judge an application based on how fast it loads, you have really misunderstood things here. Help me understand why it is important that it loads in 4 seconds rather than 5 seconds.

Sometimes I feel that you people loose focus on what's important. I couldn't care less about load time as long as it renders all pages correct. If that means 5-10 seconds longer load time, fine, I'm all for it.

Erik
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
Hmmmm.. I see this all the time. I just wonder why it has to be faster to start? Please help me understand this.
Help me understand why it is important that it loads in 4 seconds rather than 5 seconds.

I can't speak for everyone, but speaking on behalf of the Windows converts croud I have have to say: we're spoiled. We're used to clicking the "E" and getting the "E", just that fast.

If you drove a Ferrari your entire life (and truly enjoyed driving fast) and one day you switched to a Ford Pinto/Fiesta, etc. you would most certainly notice and miss the difference. While you still may be happy it got you to and from work/play (ie, it renders pages correctly ;-)) something would be missing. In Windows we aren't used to leaving IE open all the time, we didn't need to. You click it, it's right there. On a 700MHz plus there is practically no load time.

I agree there are things more important than load time, I'm honestly not missing your point, but why should Windows users be the only ones with a browser that loads super fast?

NOTE: The Ferrari/Pinto comparison is not meant to reflect exactly how Phoenix compares to IE, only used to illustrate the point graphically. :-) Please, no "Phoenix isn't a Pinto and IE isn't a Ferrari" posts.
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, this bird rises from the ashes in under 2 seconds. That's fast for something that doesn't depend on an OS that loads it's vital browser components at the beginning. :)
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, decent fonts out of the box and a load time of 2 seconds. I find myself pleased... and also thinking that the IE load time truly must have been very close to 0 because Phoenix still seems to launch very slow... (in my mind)

Now what can I do to adjust little things like the smallest font size at which fonts are rendered with AA, etc...? I assume we're not using the .../prefs/unix.js file anymore...

Also, I'm assuming that neither the binary Phoenix you download from Mozilla nor this ebuild requires the Mozilla ebuild to be present? Is it ok to go ahead and unmerge Mozilla from my box? Will that mess up Evolution or any dependent progs?
Techie2000
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSIE loads fast because it's loaded during boot-up...
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techie2000 wrote:
MSIE loads fast because it's loaded during boot-up...
Yes, I realize that IE "cheats" to achieve those speeds, but that doesn't stop me from wanting Phoenix to load equally fast.
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably asking something totally obvious here, but how do I get Adobe SVG plugin to work? I have the libNPSVG3.so file linked in /usr/lib/phoenix/lib/mozilla-1.2b/plugins which is where it should be right? libbnullplugin.so is there too.

about:plugins doesn't show it.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I figured that out, but I keep getting this error
Code:

ebuild: --disable-composer: command not found

My guess is that I pasted somewhere erroneously the ebuild script but I really cant find where...
the myconf declaration seems perfectly ok... :cry:
Any ideas?
vers_iq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freak_NL wrote:
Probably asking something totally obvious here, but how do I get Adobe SVG plugin to work? I have the libNPSVG3.so file linked in /usr/lib/phoenix/lib/mozilla-1.2b/plugins which is where it should be right? libbnullplugin.so is there too.

about:plugins doesn't show it.

i currently updated my ebuild (page 1) and there is option to enable svg, just add svg in USE. err... where do you get that plugin? :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: