View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiaZzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: glxinfo and OpenGL problems. Reply with quote

Greetings.

I have some problems getting OpenGL working on my new ldaptop. It's an IBM T30 with an ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW. I've read some threads on the subject, but I can't find anyone with "my" problem.

mathiasm@sparky ~ $ glxinfo
glxinfo: relocation error: /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0

I tried reemerging gcc(3.2-r2) and xfree(4.2.1)
(got a hint in: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=11028&highlight=glxinfo), but that doesn't seem to work. I haven't begun looking at the DRI-stuff yet since this is probably one of the reasons. The thread above mentions libstdc++.so.5 missing, but it's located in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/ on my box.

Have anyone seen this error? I'm ripping my hair out here. :(
nipplehead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: same laptop Reply with quote

i have the exact same laptop. (thinkpads rule) have you tried running 'ldconfig'? this is kind of a stab in the dark, but it might help. what flags are you using? i'm using CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" and have had few problems. I had to get the latest DRI to get OpenGL working, but other people have had success with OpenGL just by taming down their flags.
TiaZzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I've run ldconfig serveral times. It looks like the error is in libGL.so*. I're reemerged mesa also. No luck.

CFLAGS='-march=pentium4 -mcpu=pentium4 -O3 -pipe'

Hmm... (man gcc)

-fomit-frame-pointer
Don't keep the frame pointer in a register for func-
tions that don't need one. This avoids the instruc-
tions to save, set up and restore frame pointers; it
also makes an extra register available in many func-
tions. It also makes debugging impossible on some
machines.

Will this have anything to say?

I'll try compiling the latest DRI sources. Hope it helps. This sucks... :evil: Thanks for answering, though.
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try
Code:
opengl-update xfree

that solves some of my 3d problems
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really related to your original problem (I'd also recommend trying opengl-update xfree), but you might want to keep this thread in mind since, like me, you have an ATI Radeon Mobility M7 in a Thinkpad. Some people have experienced trouble with optimizations under GCC3.2 when compiling XFree86 4.2.1 and using this video card and OpenGL apps. So if you get it working and find you have that problem, lower your settings.
TiaZzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run 'opengl-update'. Doesn't help. I'm not sure why setting compiler options down would help, but I'll try it.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link is the fix to a problem where people were getting black screens in the OpenGL window with this same video card. It seems that Radeon Mobility doesn't work well if you compile the new X (4.2.1) with high optimization settings.

Your problem seems to be something different; I was just giving you the heads up on another potential problem you might have.

BTW, having mcpu=pentium4 when you already have march=pentium4 is redundant and not necessary with GCC3.2. -march supersedes -mcpu.

Did you upgrade from Gentoo 1.2? Maybe something didn't work correctly, because that error sounds kind of like something that would be caused by the incompatibilities between GCC3.2 apps and a GCC2.95 C++ library.
TiaZzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnemia wrote:
That link is the fix to a problem where people were getting black screens in the OpenGL window with this same video card. It seems that Radeon Mobility doesn't work well if you compile the new X (4.2.1) with high optimization settings.

I know. Do you know if there are any other problems with 4.2.1 and optimizing?
Quote:

Your problem seems to be something different; I was just giving you the heads up on another potential problem you might have.

Heh. More problems ahead, then? :)
Quote:

BTW, having mcpu=pentium4 when you already have march=pentium4 is redundant and not necessary with GCC3.2. -march supersedes -mcpu.

Hmm. You're right. (Mental note to self: Read gcc manual)
Quote:

Did you upgrade from Gentoo 1.2? Maybe something didn't work correctly, because that error sounds kind of like something that would be caused by the incompatibilities between GCC3.2 apps and a GCC2.95 C++ library.

Nope. This is a clean 1.4-rc1 install. I started at stage3, but I think I've recompiled the whole system. The error sounds like a typical "upgrade broke old lib"-problem. I think the next step is an 'emerge -e xfree'. It might also be glibc-related. I'll try some more.
TiaZzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again. I've solved it. A bit strange that only I had this problem.

FYI:

It is a Mesa compile-time problem (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=515602&group_id=3&atid=100003). Setting 'export LDFLAGS="-lstdc++"' before 'emerge mesa' worked.

Happy, happy! :)

Now I have to get glxgears diplaying something higher than ~220 FPS. Any pointers?
TiaZzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got dri working as well. So FYI:

Set DefaultDepth to 16 to get dri working. The Radeon card only got 16MB mem, so running 1400x1050 with 24 bit depth disabled dri.

Wolfenstein runs quite smooth. :)
KillerBunny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Mesa problem I have/had as well. Glad you made this post or I'd have been frusturated like crazy.
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed. thanks a lot. i had this problem as well :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: