View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlsfit138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Got it to work....sort of Reply with quote

OK. This is an old thread. I believe that a newer version of the driver has been released. What is the word. How well does this thing work for you.

I managed to get sound from a lot of apps, but some of them (including alsa) just don't like the switch back to OSS, or maybe they just don't like the soundcard drivers... I dunno. I'm reinstalling kdemultimedia with -alsa in the use flags.

Another important point is that hardware mixing doesn't seem to work. I had heard that it did, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

-Converge, The Saddest Day, Petitioning the Empty Sky
Lokhor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Nforce2 Mobo with Soundstorm (DFI Lanparty) and I can't seem to build the nforce-audio drivers
i've tried both using emerge nforce-audio and running the drivers from the nvidia site and they both fail to compile..
I have the 2.6.10 kernel and it has support for OSS modules in its config I have NFI why it's not working. any help would be appreciated. I guess i can post the output of the attempted install

root@localhost nick # emerge nforce-audio
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) media-sound/nforce-audio-1.0.0261 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/nforce-audio-1.0 .0261/work
>>> Source unpacked.
make nvaudio.o
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/nforce-audio-1.0.0261/work/nforce/ nvaudio'
cc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O -fno-stri ct-aliasing -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -falign-functions=4 -DMODUL E -DREMAP_NEW -c -o nvhw.o nvhw.c
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:18,
from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/smp.h:17,
from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/sched.h:23,
from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/module.h:10,
from nvhw.c:12:
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:6:25: mach_mpspec.h: No such file or directo ry
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:18,
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:8: error: `MAX_MP_BUSSES' undeclared here (n ot in a function)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:9: error: `MAX_MP_BUSSES' undeclared here (n ot in a function)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:10: error: `MAX_MP_BUSSES' undeclared here ( not in a function)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:12: error: `MAX_MP_BUSSES' undeclared here ( not in a function)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:20: error: `MAX_MP_BUSSES' undeclared here ( not in a function)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:20: error: conflicting types for `mp_bus_id_ to_type'
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:8: error: previous declaration of `mp_bus_id _to_type'
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:22: error: `MAX_IRQ_SOURCES' undeclared here (not in a function)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:24: error: `MAX_MP_BUSSES' undeclared here ( not in a function)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:24: error: conflicting types for `mp_bus_id_ to_pci_bus'
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:12: error: previous declaration of `mp_bus_i d_to_pci_bus'
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:20,
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/io_apic.h:158: error: `MAX_IRQ_SOURCES' undeclared he re (not in a function)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/io_apic.h:158: error: conflicting types for `mp_irqs'
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mpspec.h:22: error: previous declaration of `mp_irqs'
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/smp.h:17,
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:72:26: mach_apicdef.h: No such file or director y
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/smp.h:17,
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h: In function `hard_smp_processor_id':
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:76: warning: implicit declaration of function ` GET_APIC_ID'
In file included from nvhw.c:16:
nvhw.h:29:27: linux/wrapper.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/irq.h:21,
from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
from nvhw.h:31,
from nvhw.c:16:
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/irq.h:16:25: irq_vectors.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/irq.h: At top level:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/irq.h:71: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function)
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/irq.h:73,
from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/hw_irq.h:28: error: `NR_IRQ_VECTORS' undeclared here (not in a function)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/hw_irq.h:32: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function)
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/irq.h:78: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function)
nvhw.c: In function `alloc_dmabuf':
nvhw.c:83: warning: implicit declaration of function `mem_map_reserve'
nvhw.c: In function `dealloc_dmabuf':
nvhw.c:100: warning: implicit declaration of function `mem_map_unreserve'
make[1]: *** [nvhw.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/nforce-audio-1.0.0261/work/nforce/n vaudio'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-sound/nforce-audio-1.0.0261 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 27, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.
Lord Kenneth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same error of the above poster.
chrisyu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this version of nvsound 1.0-0292
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0292

and you need modify it a little on 2.6.10 kernel
see
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43177
post #4

works fine. :)
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had exactly the same problem (french forum) and seems that solution (Iwould test this evening) consist in using 1.0.0292 using PORTDIR_OVERLAY (see point 6 of this thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum.php?f=12)
cpdsaorg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I went to this site and downloaded the linux_nforce_1.0-0292 file and followed these instructions:

Quote:
In linux you can simply type in:
sh NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0292-pkg1.run -x

Next open:
./NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0292-pkg1/nvsound/main/Makefile.kbuild (not makefile!)

goto line 54 comment the ifeq ($(REMAP_PAGE_RANGE),5)
and on line 56 the endif so you get:

#ifeq ($(REMAP_PAGE_RANGE),5)
EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DREMAP_NEW
#endif

Next go to ./NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0292-pkg1 directory and execute:
nforce-installer
(remember to do NOT install network card!, this patch only fixes audio!)

depmod -a
modprobe nvsound

I have Alsa disabled and OSS enabled in my kernel. lsmod shows that both soundcore and nvsound are loaded.
This is a new install. what else am i supposed to do?
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when I boot I don't get any sound using the nvsound-1.0292 driver, the only workaround I found was to make sure that you run coldplug on boot. For some reason running coldplug means that everything works fine (apart fro mthe other known bugs in the driver.)
marvin6161
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone is having problems running multiple audio programs at once with the nvidia driver? I'm currently using alsa with 2.6.10-nitro2 and an nforce2 AC'97 chip, and I can only get audio in one program at a time.

Thanks
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvin, that's a common problem with nforce boards. The open source ALSA driver doesn't do any hardware mixing so you only get sound from one app at a time. There are two ways of fixing this:

1) Use dmix (or another software mixer such as Arts or Esd) to mix your sounds. Search the forums for advice on how to do this.

2) Use the binary nvsound driver. The primary advantage of nvsound is that it takes advantage of the nforce hardware mixing capabilities, so you autmatically get multiple sound simultaneously. The driver currently in portage (emerge nforce-audio) is horribly buggy, there is an ebuild for the newer version (nforce-audio-1.0.0292) in bugzilla which is much better, but still not perfect.
newbenji
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny problem.
I have the module loaded.
OSS works great in xmms, xine and so on. with hardwaremix

But cant get arts to play

:-(
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisyu wrote:
I use this version of nvsound 1.0-0292
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0292

and you need modify it a little on 2.6.10 kernel
see
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43177
post #4

works fine. :)

What I don't understand is how editing code in ./NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0292-pkg1/nvnet/nvenet.c
will effect sound? I read about the drivers on another thread that said they were really buggy and they locked up the system although that was a while ago. So if I do this I would need to disable ALSA but enable OSS or disable OSS as well as ALSA?

EDIT: I realized he was explaining how to fix something with NVNET in the Fourth post. The post that explained how to patch and fix NVSOUND was right above. I ended up doing what they said with the NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0292-pkg1.run and not using emerge or portage at all. It works here. I didn't recompile my kernel or anything so I imagine I can unload nvsound module and load up snd-intel8x0 and use ALSA again if I wanted. We'll see how these perform. I read in some thread that mplayer wouldn't play video with this driver and I experienced the same problem. Another thing I read that I experienced is that in GAIM sounds are sped up. I only use GAIM sounds for the initial message sent anyway but they are indeed sped up maybe 2 times. I have to say this is the first time I've ever had hardware mixing in linux with the onboard Soundstorm on this Asus A7N8X Deluxe board and it is awesome to finally have it. I do think they should go ahead and make it for ALSA since most everyone in Linux community has already switched to that anyway.

EDIT: Stuff that doesn't work right:
mplayer won't play video with OSS and this driver, the audio plays but the video doesn't.

Gaim sounds are sped up by 2 times or so

flash in Firefox plays but then freezes and firefox-bin must be killed.
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John2583 wrote:

EDIT: Stuff that doesn't work right:
mplayer won't play video with OSS and this driver, the audio plays but the video doesn't.

Gaim sounds are sped up by 2 times or so

flash in Firefox plays but then freezes and firefox-bin must be killed.

These are all known bugs which have apparently been fixed in the beta releases of the next version of the driver. I'm also hoping that they make the new version work on 2.6.11 kernels as well as the current version will not load.

You can work around the mplayer problem by specifying that you use the sdl audio output intead of OSS or ALSA (mplayer must be compiled with sdl support) and you can get GAIM sounds to play correectly by emerging rawplay and setting the sound method command to "rawplay -s 11025 -J 20 %s".

I don't know of any way of fixing the Flash bug however.
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chunderbunny. I did know these were known problems I was just reporting that I also have the same problem, can reproduce them etc. The SDL works fine in mplayer thanks for that bit of info, as for GAIM I really don't care that it sounds too fast since I only hear it on initial messages anyway. I've had nvsound lock up my computer once so far. This was while using nvmixer and changing from 2 speakers to 5.1. I haven't tried the digital out yet but can someone tell me if it works? I wonder if it would work with a DVD too so you could have dolby digital?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: