WARNING: NPTL caused problems with Amarok and Kaffeine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: WARNING: NPTL caused problems with Amarok and Kaffeine Reply with quote

I emerged glibc using "The Native POSIX Thread Library" or NPTL:
Code:

# USE="nptl" emerge glibc"

Everything seemed to work fine, but Kaffeine wouldn't start anymore and Amarok would give me some errors about "connection refused" or something, can't remember exactly. Anyways, I just remerged glibc without nptl and they both work again. So it seems NPTL isn't compatible with all apps yet, so be warned...
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They work fine here. I've had nptl in my use flags for many months and hardly a problem if any.

Did you re-emerge amarok and kaffeine after you emerged glibc?
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. Still didn't work. Did you recompile all of KDE after emerging NTPL with GLIBC? I would suspect that if I have to remerge anything, I would have to do the whole dep chain for KDE (ie. Qt, arts, kdelibs...). Although, now that I think about it, both programs use aRts, so maybe simply recompiling that may solve the problem?

It's not supposed to matter since the thread-handling mechanism of glibc is transparent to the application programs. I read on Ulrich Drepper's homepage that there *is* a difference in the signaling/message passing implementations that may cause problems.

I saved my ntpl glibc usign quickpkg, so I can remerge it and do some more testing when I get some spare time later this week. I'll first try recompiling aRts and see what happens.

Last edited by nahpets on Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nahpets wrote:
Did you recompile all of KDE after emerging NPTL with GLIBC?

I've been through 5 or 6 versions of kde, a few linux-headers, probably a couple glibc versions, and two or three versions of QT along with many other packages.

A quick search leads me to believe that after you compile glibc with nptl that all you should have to do is reboot and it should work. It's been awhile but it seems like there wasn't anything compicated about switching to it whenever it was I did it.
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a reboot and the same thing happened. I'm also using "linux26-headers".
teutzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING: NPTL caused problems with Amarok and Kaffeine Reply with quote

nahpets wrote:
I emerged glibc using "The Native POSIX Thread Library" or NPTL:
Code:

# USE="nptl" emerge glibc"

Everything seemed to work fine, but Kaffeine wouldn't start anymore and Amarok would give me some errors about "connection refused" or something, can't remember exactly. Anyways, I just remerged glibc without nptl and they both work again. So it seems NPTL isn't compatible with all apps yet, so be warned...

you need to recompile every single app that gives you a hard time. even better you should do an:
Code:
emerge -e world

nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sure about that? The posts in the forums say that the thread handling in glibc is supposed to be transparent, therefore no recompiling required.
teutzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't belive all that you read, i did convert to NPTL some months ago and the very first thing i did after that was an emerge -e world and no problems emerged
there quite many posts around the forum that state you must recompile your whole system in order to be sure U are not going to have problems(TM)
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... I guess I'll stick to using "linuxthreads" for now then... emerge -e on my P3/866 will take forever...
teutzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe 3-4 days (if you don't have openoffice installed from source) logged into X and doing the things that you normally do (also this a good opportunity to make the change to gcc-3.4, modify your use flags and cflags)
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teutzz wrote:
maybe 3-4 days (if you don't have openoffice installed from source) logged into X and doing the things that you normally do (also this a good opportunity to make the change to gcc-3.4, modify your use flags and cflags)

Since KDE will take the longest, I'll wait until KDE 3.3 so that I'll at least get an upgrade of KDE for my troubles ;)
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, everyone's experience with nptl is different.
I, for example, had problems with XMMS, mplayer and the binary nVidia drivers.
Recompiling the various things didn't help at all. XMMS and mplayer still segfaulted and the nVidia drivers hardlocked my system.

Of course, this was probably close to six months ago and I tried it again a few months later and XMMS, mplayer and the nVidia drivers work fine. I never did an emerge -e world.

Because programs do dynamically link to glibc, however, unless (doubtful) include files changed, you should not have to recompile everything, except perhaps if you upgraded from the 2.4 headers (which are, by default, installed even if you have a 2.6 kernel) to the 2.6 headers.
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:
Heh, everyone's experience with nptl is different.
I, for example, had problems with XMMS, mplayer and the binary nVidia drivers.
Recompiling the various things didn't help at all. XMMS and mplayer still segfaulted and the nVidia drivers hardlocked my system.

Of course, this was probably close to six months ago and I tried it again a few months later and XMMS, mplayer and the nVidia drivers work fine. I never did an emerge -e world.

Because programs do dynamically link to glibc, however, unless (doubtful) include files changed, you should not have to recompile everything, except perhaps if you upgraded from the 2.4 headers (which are, by default, installed even if you have a 2.6 kernel) to the 2.6 headers.

hmm... well, I just upgraded to linux26-headers to compile glibc, but I don't think that should matter because from what I've read, only glibc uses them.
teutzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:

it ussually pays to play it a bit safe when you are doing unsafe things :D
timeout
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had exactly same problem. Kaffeine freeze itself and can not even start it in a console.
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timeout wrote:
i had exactly same problem. Kaffeine freeze itself and can not even start it in a console.

I gave up on NPTL for the time being. I went back to linuxthreads and everything works fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: