View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJPster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: emerging XFree86-4.2.1-r2 fixed KDE for me :) Reply with quote

I had lots of problems with KDE being prelinked, like Lovechild and aardvark were having. I was having to manually un-prelink dcopserver and kdm and a whole bunch of other stuff. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

All my problems seem to have gone away after emerging XFree86-4.2.1-r2. Crikey is it quick! I mean wowsers!

Just for reference, here's some of my settings

Code:

USE="3dnow alsa apm arts avi berkdb cdr crypt cups dvd encode -esd flash gdbm gif gtk java imap imlib jpeg kde lcms ldap maildir mbox mmx mozilla mpeg mysql ncurses -nls oggvorbis opengl pam pda pdflib perl png pnp qt quicktime readline samba scanner sdl spell ssl tiff truetype X xv zlib"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon -O3 -pipe -m3dnow -mmmx -fomit-frame-pointer"

KDE Version 3.1_rc5
GCC version 3.2.1

Congrats to everyone who's worked on prelinking in general, and getting it working in gentoo in particular. :D
vod
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I got my prelink working with that xfree version also..
I notice speedups in a lot of things, but not konqueror.
When i time it, i get awesome times, but when I actually run it, it's about the same as before.
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vod wrote:
yeah I got my prelink working with that xfree version also..
I notice speedups in a lot of things, but not konqueror.
When i time it, i get awesome times, but when I actually run it, it's about the same as before.

..Just like my experience...
kmail however takes 1 sec now instead of 3 before... That's not bad at all..
vod
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the largest speedup in a kde app for me was digikam.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this mean that prelinking COMPLETELY Works w/ gentoo now? We need documentation! :)

I've been waiting to hear 2 or 3 people come to the conclusion that its working before I try it out, now i'm ready. where do i sign up? :)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE3.1rc5 still has dcop errors even with xfree 4.2.1-r2.

I say not ready for primetime yet... but I must say I had fluxbox, xchat, gftp and phoenix prelinked last night, and the pure joy of having phoniex pop up right after you click the button is simply amazing, same goes for gftp and xchat...

Simply amazing...
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would prelinking be an option for my underpowered laptop? p120 w/ 144 MB RAM. I intend to run Flux or something else nice and lightweight on it. I'm gonna start the installation tonight after waiting for months to get my laptop back.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhedd wrote:
Would prelinking be an option for my underpowered laptop? p120 w/ 144 MB RAM. I intend to run Flux or something else nice and lightweight on it. I'm gonna start the installation tonight after waiting for months to get my laptop back.

Sure... give it a shot.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I prelinked my laptop. X and Fluxbox start a bit faster, Xchat loads considerably faster. Phoenix is a bit faster I guess (I think the bottleneck is elsewhere, it's an oldish laptop). But, I have one problem: Phoenix hangs the system few seconds after it has started. Once it hangs, I can't reach it with ssh either. Only thing that helps is a hard reset of the system. Any ideas?

I also added "FEATURES=prelink" to make.conf. Does that mean that all new packages that I install are automatically prelinked?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the feature flag was removed because some developers felt it took to long to relink everything after an emerge.

But I say, if you don't want to spend the time relinking, then just don't set the feature flag manually, and run the prelink command manually instead.... idiots like me liked that feature because it did the relinking for me, instead now I have to manually relink after every emerge...

Please bring the feature flag back.
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k. this is probably a stupid question, but I've been trying to get prelink to work and my dry runs produce lots of error messages like this.

Code:

prelink: Could not prelink /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 because its dependency /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 could not be prelinked
prelink: Could not prelink /usr/kde/3.1/lib/libDCOP.so.4 because its dependency /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 could not be prelinked

Now I'm guessing that libGL.so.1 is the root of my problems and that all the other "Could not prelink xxxx because its dependency yyyy could not be prelinked" are a result of this first one which is a result of my using the NVidia drivers in X.

On to the stupid question: If I unmerge NVidia-glx and comment out the Load "glx" module in XF86Config-4 will prelink stop stumbling on libGL.so.1? Also, do I need to comment out the Load "GLcore"?

I can't test this right this instant as I'm reemerging kde so that it works with a -no-xinerama'd qt.

Thanks,
Seth
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth wrote:
O.k. this is probably a stupid question, but I've been trying to get prelink to work and my dry runs produce lots of error messages like this.

Code:

prelink: Could not prelink /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 because its dependency /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 could not be prelinked
prelink: Could not prelink /usr/kde/3.1/lib/libDCOP.so.4 because its dependency /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 could not be prelinked

I'm still at the dryrun stage too... but here's what I've learned so far.

* opengl-update xfree will make the error you are seeing go away.
* running xfree-4.2.1-r2, and qt-3.1.0-r1, and have no problems with xinerama
* you probaly don't need to recompile qt any special way (I didn't)

This solution (which I have yet to test for real, but will be soon) lets you run most everything prelinked ALL the time. If you want to play a game with nvidia OpenGL, yet opengl-update nvidia before the game and opengl-update xfree after the game.

There is even no harm in running with nvidia OpenGL ALL the time after everything has beek prelinked, but the linker will think a library has been updated (libGL because it's a different file) and will fail to utilize the prelink feature for anything that is linked to libGL while the nvidia libGL is present).

This is the only drawback as I see it. Other comments are welcome. I just started researching this stuff yesterday, so anyone please chime in if I have things wrong.
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamer3 wrote:

I'm still at the dryrun stage too... but here's what I've learned so far.

* opengl-update xfree will make the error you are seeing go away.
* running xfree-4.2.1-r2, and qt-3.1.0-r1, and have no problems with xinerama
* you probaly don't need to recompile qt any special way (I didn't)

Once I figured out that I needed to run opengl-update xfree prelink prelinked everything in sight. I think the instructions glossed over this important tidbit, presumably because everyone else understood what opengl-update does. I sure didn't. I'm thinking of writing a tip about it.

Now that I've succeeded, I'm pretty sure things are running a bit faster, not astonishingly faster, but konqueror and kmail load times have been shaved down a second or two. It also seems to me that apps are reloading faster, though I don't understand why that should be.

Seth
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Seth"]
dreamer3 wrote:
Once I figured out that I needed to run opengl-update xfree prelink prelinked everything in sight. I think the instructions glossed over this important tidbit, presumably because everyone else understood what opengl-update does. I sure didn't. I'm thinking of writing a tip about it.

It's only an important tidbit if you're an Nvidia graphics card user... I was planning to write a tip about it myself when I have time to make sure everything works properly and verify there aren't any ill effects, but feel free to go ahead without me.
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamer3 wrote:

It's only an important tidbit if you're an Nvidia graphics card user... I was planning to write a tip about it myself when I have time to make sure everything works properly and verify there aren't any ill effects, but feel free to go ahead without me.

Thanks, dreamer3, I written a little tip and posted it. You can find it here. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=28870.

Please let me know if I've given any wrong info.

Seth
RickDB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this strange error when prelinking:
Code:

prelink: /usr/kde/3.1/bin/krfb: section file offsets not monotonically increasing
prelink: /usr/kde/3.1/bin/kmahjongg: section file offsets not monotonically increasing
prelink: /usr/kde/3.1/bin/kspace.kss: section file offsets not monotonically increasing
prelink: exec.c:778: prelink_exec: Assertion `data->d_size == dso->shdr[new_dynbss].sh_size + dso->shdr[new_dynbss + 1].sh_size' failed.
Aborted

I have build everything(from the stage1 tarball) with the -fPIC flag and the normal thunderbird flag.
No errors when compiling and i did not have this error before :(
Can someone tell me how to fix this or what caused this?
-bm-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Anybody got kde 3.1 rc5 working yet? Reply with quote

I looked around on the forum, read all the tips and tricks, recompiled x and qt as given but kde doesnt even start up (i get the same errors as Lovechild posted here).

Is there someone who got kde 3.1 rc5 working with prelink?

Thanks,

Bastian
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: