chroot to a 32-bit debian install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: chroot to a 32-bit debian install? Reply with quote

Hi all -

This forum has been a big help in getting me this far. I got a new eMachines m5709 last month and have been trying to get everything I can working in 64-bit mode - it's noticably faster than 32-bit! I'm also an old Debian user, so this is my first serious foray into Gentoo...

Anyway, my problem is that I want to run Tora to connect to several Oracle and MySql databases at work, and due to the way that Oracle doesn't seem to work well in 64-bit yet, I wanted to try and chroot to my existing Debian 32-bit installation to run it. I do have the recommended emulation libraries installed as posted here, but some of the other emulation libraries are hard-masked (glibc, compat, and baselibs>=1.2). Here is what I get:

Code:
root@oculus:~# chroot /mnt/deb32 /bin/bash
chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': Permission denied
root@oculus:~# echo $?
root@oculus:~# linux32 chroot /mnt/deb32

I've been messing around and have also tried a Debian-based 64-bit installation, and it can chroot into the 32-bit partition/environment just fine. I'm enjoying the Gentoo-64 version slightly more as I was able to get things like Flash in Firefox working and it seems to handle the laptop's flaky ACPI better (don't know why this is either - I'm using the stock 2.6.8.1 sources in Deb-64, unless it's the way they compiled 'acpid'), and want to get as many things working in Gentoo as possible.

If anyone knows why this might be - or more directly knows how to get Tora to work (I am able to use tnsping just fine just simply adding $ORACLE_HOME/bin to my PATH and $ORACLE_HOME/lib to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH) in 64-bit mode when connecting to Oracle, please let me know!

Many thanks,
Janax

p.s. For those not familiar with how the Debian-64 stuff works, see the Debian AMD-64 Howto. Also, is there something like 'dchroot' available for Gentoo? I don't see it using 'emerge search' and don't know how else to find ebuilds/packages very well yet...!
TiccTech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: chroot to a 32-bit debian install? Reply with quote

Janax wrote:
[...] I wanted to try and chroot to my existing Debian 32-bit installation to run it. [...] Here is what I get:

Code:
root@oculus:~# chroot /mnt/deb32 /bin/bash
root@oculus:~# echo $?
root@oculus:~# linux32 chroot /mnt/deb32

Have you checked the output of "mount"? It sounds like you may have your deb32 world mounted 'noexec'.
Janax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, do I feel embarrassed! That was it exactly - thank you very much!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: