How to turn off IPv6 tunneling? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CapnKirk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: How to turn off IPv6 tunneling? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I'm installing 2004.2 on a dual Opteron system, using the universal livecd. I want to install from Stage 1, and the handbook indicates I need a live network connection; a networkless install requires one to to use Stage 3.

When I booted (smp kernel), the Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet card was not recognized. No problem: "modprobe tg3". Herein began trouble:

eth0: no IPv6 routers present.

That's right. My network is IPv4. IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling is built into the kernel. And so I have no connectivity.

Researching the problem, the standard answer to this problem is to add "alias net-pf-10 off" to /etc/modules.d/aliases, modules-update and reboot. But at this stage of the install, rebooting would lose all settings and go back to the default on the livecd.

Since IPv6 tunneling is built into the kernel, I can't remove a module. Is there any other way to turn it off from the commandline or a kernel boot parameter?

Kirk

Last edited by CapnKirk on Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that same warning, but my IPv4 networking still works. If networking's not working, I think the problem lies elsewhere.
BloX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

IPv6 shouldn't be the problem at all.

Are you sure that you set up everything in the right way? Please send a more detailed explanation of your failure if it won't work after checking everything.

Greets,
_____BloX
CapnKirk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Thanks for the replies.

It's hard to know, then, what the problem is. Here is exactly what I did:

1. booted the livecd (smp nodhcp ide=nodma)
2. modprobe tg3
3. net-setup (all IPs in IPv4 notation)
4. edited /etc/resolv.conf
5. ping 192.168.1.1 (the firewall)
result: "Destination Host Unreachable"

(BTW, where does gentoo keep the ethernet interface info used by ifconfig?)

This box has an exact duplicate machine running Debian Sarge, kernel 2.4.26-1-k7 with the exact same NIC and the corresponding tg3 driver, but no IPv6. Networking on that box works just fine. On that box, dmesg says:

tg3.c:v2.9 (March 8, 2004)
eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95704A6) rev 2002 PHY(5704)] (PCIX:100MHz:64-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:10:dc:fe:c3:ce
eth1: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95704A6) rev 2002 PHY(5704)] (PCIX:100MHz:64-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:10:dc:fe:c3:cd
[...]
tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.

On the gentoo install, I get recognition of the cards, but not the messages about the link being up (the last two lines). ifconfig shows eth0 properly configured with IP address, broadcast and netmask. I've checked the physical cabling and everything looks ok, lights on and blinking.

I just reread the amd64 installation notes, and it talks about the tg3 driver and suggests an alternate bcm5700 driver if tg3 doesn't work. I'll try that and report here.

However, I'd really like to figure this out. If it's not operator error, I should either file a bug or have the info added to the hardware notes. I'd appreciate any advice on how to debug and research this.

Kirk
CapnKirk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Problem SOLVED! Reply with quote

This is crazy.

I was getting ready to reboot the livecd and try the alternate Broadcom driver, when it occured to me to try something simple. The box has two NICs. They are eth0 and eth1, corresponding to the rear panel LAN1 and LAN2.

When I changed the cable from LAN1 to LAN2, it worked!! I can ping everything including google.com, showing dns is working and everything. So eth0 corresponds to LAN2 and eth1 to LAN1, just reverse of my Debian box.

So, the tg3 driver for kernel 2.6.x recognizes (my NICs, at least) the devices in reverse order from kernel 2.4.x.

I don't know whether this is unique to my hardware or a general issue. I really ought to report this in some way. Suggestions?

Kirk
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybye the order can be changed by moving the nic to a different slot?

Is the order really that important, anyway? Now that you know which NIC's which, isn't it just a matter of switching cables?
CapnKirk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in my response. I got too involved in finishing my gentoo installation. :-)

Yes, it makes no difference about which NIC is eth0 or eth1, as long as I know about it.

My only concern is to determine why the driver changed its recognition order. It may be a regression error, it may be intentional. But it caused me a lot of grief until I figured it out (with your help!) and I'd like to report it somewhere for others to be aware of, either to the tg3 driver developers or here or somewhere. The remaining question is, Is this situation unique to my hardware (in which case I'll report it to the vendors), or something more general?

I think the best thing to do is report it to the vendors and then find out where the tg3 developers hang out and bring it up with them...

Thanks again.

Kirk
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: